Stock Block series

-

mikedevore

Reaction score
Our local track has started a series called "Stock Block" heads up racing.

Rules;
Stock crank
stock block
200CC intake runner max on the cylinder head.
Any cam, rods, heads.

They have a class for small blocks & one for big blocks.

Well, we decide to take the Demon out in bracket trim.
We qualify 2nd out of 10 cars @ a 11.40.
3-10 was in at 11.49-12.02.
#1 was a 351W Fox body Mustang @ 10.95!

Well, we made it to the final & got beat by this Mustang.
Am I that blinded by MoPars that I can't see a 351W running that fast?
This same guy ran the power adder class (NOS) & went 10.02.
I still think this guy was illegal, but there was no provision for inspection, other than the racers word.

So, I'm putting together something just to clean this guys clock!

A good 360 with some ported eddy heads should be able to easily handle the rustang.....

I always thought some thing like that would be fun. I'd love to see a small block wedge head class with OEM block, crank, heads, flat top pistons, and valve size limited to 2.02/1.6. Minimum 2700 lbs. N/A.

Go get him boy. lol

The Mustang is probably under 2700 lbs with driver. The choice of after market heads for SBF is much better then SBM.

Our local track has started a series called "Stock Block" heads up racing.

Rules;
Stock crank
stock block
200CC intake runner max on the cylinder head.
Any cam, rods, heads.

They have a class for small blocks & one for big blocks.

Well, we decide to take the Demon out in bracket trim.
We qualify 2nd out of 10 cars @ a 11.40.
3-10 was in at 11.49-12.02.
#1 was a 351W Fox body Mustang @ 10.95!

Well, we made it to the final & got beat by this Mustang.
Am I that blinded by MoPars that I can't see a 351W running that fast?
This same guy ran the power adder class (NOS) & went 10.02.
I still think this guy was illegal, but there was no provision for inspection, other than the racers word.

So, I'm putting together something just to clean this guys clock!

Which track is this?

Thanks Ray

Does it have to be the stock crank for the block? 340 block bored to 4.1 with a "stock" 360 crank offset ground to chevy rod size. Easy non stroked, "stock" stroker 390 cu in. With the right head and chassis should be able to keep up with the 351 on the nitrous...

Tulsa raceway park.

Has to be a 340 crank in a 340 block and so on.

Check out stock block series on face book

There a few (GM) guys here trying to get a small block heads up class started here. They eliminated the SBM unless you run a Magnum type head, no shaft mounted rockers.

No shaft mounted rockers? That's messed up. Buick guys also get the shaft. Pun intended.

Congrats on the runner up. Sounds like a fun series. Wish I could run it.

A little heads up about any of the LS powered competitors you may come across. Unless they're running an LS1 or early 4.8 or 5.3 (2005-older) they are likely breaking the 200cc head rule. Common legal head castings for those would be 241, 706, and 862. If anybody shows up with a 6.0 or 6.2 LS they are very likely breaking the rules. Common casting numbers for those heads would be 243, 799, 317 (210cc) and the huge rectangle port heads 821 and 823 (260cc). While the 821/823 heads can only be run on a 6.0-up due to the large intake valve (2.16") the 243, 799, and 317 heads can be bolted on any LS engine so if you're paired up with a 4.8 or 5.3 LS it would be worth it to take a look. Those heads are impressive, flowing as good or better than most box stock aftermarket casting for the sbm.

Figured you'd appreciate a little insider info. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Mike, find a late 70 or early 71 360 block. They should take at least a .070 overbore. The have the 360 crank off-set ground to 1.85 on the rods. Should get you real close to 400 incher. Don't know how long the crank would hold up. Would an aftermarket crank for the block be acceptable? Jim

I don't have FB. Is it SB only? 64 Dart wagon 383 stock stroke.

Ray

I don't see the point of having rules if there is no inspection process.

I don't have FB. Is it SB only? 64 Dart wagon 383 stock stroke.

Ray

Big block also.
There is also power adder classes as well.

No inspection could hurt this deal for sure.
I don't want to take a racer at his word that he is legal.

The guy who is putting this on, Dustin Donnel, is just getting his feet wet & trying to get it off the ground.

welcome to racing with rules and limitations. same as with stock and super stock. can always pump motors. this will stop stroker motors. simple math and motor size is verified.
that's how comp eliminator is done.

-
Back