stock or hv oil pump

-
All I’m going to say is a lot of guys run high volume pumps that shouldn’t be running them.
This
Has been written and discussed over and over.

A stock pump with a larger oil pickup will out flow a hv pump with the stock pickup.

Get a milodon or moroso pickup with the bigger inside diameter.
and this.
You are far better off with a high pressure spring in a stock pump.

We were tallking about the suction side of the pump not the pressure side. You are trying to confuse the issue.
If you don't get enuff supply it won't matter which pump you use.

Not at all. I am merely saying it still has to go through the same size hole. It doesn't matter "where" the hole is. It's still a restriction.

We were tallking about the suction side of the pump not the pressure side. You are trying to confuse the issue.
If you don't get enuff supply it won't matter which pump you use.
Well maybe when mentioning a bigger pan so not to suck it dry would have a lot to do with return and volume of flow. I really don't care what you were talking about. I added my 2 cents anyway. Extra info never hurt anyone except complainers. Ad your advise and deal with it. Then troll on.

I hope we are doing the oil mods to take advantage of a higher volume. lol
small holes can't make use of more volume.
more pressure but not volume

I hope we are doing the oil mods to take advantage of a higher volume. lol
small holes can't make use of more volume.
more pressure but not volume
My son said if a motor is fresh and built right with solids a standard pump is good enough. But he takes every pump apart and checks clearances.

I think Some of these new chinese Hyd. lifters you need a HV pump.

Well maybe when mentioning a bigger pan so not to suck it dry would have a lot to do with return and volume of flow. I really don't care what you were talking about. I added my 2 cents anyway. Extra info never hurt anyone except complainers. Ad your advise and deal with it. Then troll on.

Post to your hearts content. Just because I don't agree blindly with rusty rod rolt does not mean I will agree with everything you say either.

Post to your hearts content. Just because I don't agree blindly with rusty rod rolt does not mean I will agree with everything you say either.

I may not agree with everything you say, but I don't make fun of your screen name. I could, too.

Not at all. I am merely saying it still has to go through the same size hole. It doesn't matter "where" the hole is. It's still a restriction.
Its more volume, end be the same. The same small restriction , the longer it gets..it will restrict more volume.
Milodon wouldn't bother if it weren't tested.
I works.

Fwiw i agree with Pittsburgh racer..The op and most on here ...dont need a HV pump. Ah but who cares, thats not what the op asked.

Every time i read "idiot weenie loser" i think.. thats gotta be something a grand kid said. Lol

No, it was someone on here who did their best to insult me so I just embraced it.

I really do wish it was grandkids. We haven't seen ours in over ten years. Stupid Jerry Springer family crap.

No, it was someone on here who did their best to insult me so I just embraced it.

I really do wish it was grandkids. We haven't seen ours in over ten years. Stupid Jerry Springer family crap.

If I want to bad mouth you I would tell everbody about how you hosed me on a dozen tq carbs.

My son said if a motor is fresh and built right with solids a standard pump is good enough. But he takes every pump apart and checks clearances.

I think Some of these new chinese Hyd. lifters you need a HV pump.
Tell your son to keep up with the good work, he's a smart fella.

That's heartbreaking, sorry to hear.
Hope you someday reunite with them.

That's heartbreaking, sorry to hear.
Hope you someday reunite with them.

I don't know. It's been an ongoing thing that started over the fact that we didn't have $300 to loan my step daughter one Christmas. She said we'd never see the grandchildren again. That was a tick over ten years ago. We don't even know where they are and we were raising two of them at one point.

Use only milodon The mopar performance are not near as strong. Read the description. The hex on the Mopar shaft does not hold up nor does it wear that well in the bushing. Use Steel for flat tap bronze for roller cam. The mopar performance do not hold up to RPMs with a HV pump. I have bought many for over $250 from mopar never again. China junk

Milodon Oil Pump Driveshafts 21530

Milodon Oil Pump Driveshafts 21535

Not sure about a small block , but there are pump driveshafts for big blocks that will work on any cam , no need to run a brass one anymore .

High Volume. For more flow with the use of a cooler and remote filters. Also essential when you have excessive by pass at the lifters . Most factory blocks flow oil back to the pan very fast. Some of the race blocks are closed off in the lifter gallery.

There is always a reason for different applications of oiling. There is a new chemical now the you use in a blast cabinet and blast pistons and bearings and internal parts. Tungsten Disulfide , It makes them so slippery there is no friction.

My son uses King's bearings, total seal rings and O-rings most heads. We all can argue all day about what we think is the best. The younger generation has more technology then we had. Some of the engines Evo, Supra, Subaru, and Hondas, Nissan , LS , Hemi and Diesels that come here for custom head and block work for race cars and trucks have things being done. "Technology" that I believe was taken from Area 51 LOL. And here we are talking about 50 year old cast iron motor technology. You should live with the life of a young machinists and his world.

We argue all the time. Then he gets his hand held small TV out of his pocket and I get disgusted and go to the house. LOL

As you can see below not all feed or return of oil is the same on small blocks

View attachment 1715468137

View attachment 1715468138

View attachment 1715468139

First small block pic I`ve seen posted on here , w/ the casting flash cleaned up !!

I wouldn’t run a Hv pump with a stock pan. You definitely run a risk of sucking the oil pan dry. Been there done that.
As others have said a stock volume pump, with a high pressure spring is a safer bet.
That’s what I did with the 440 as I had a big block Chevelle try and pass me, on the way back from a city wide once a year cruise. He never got around me, but it cost a crankshaft. I threw the hv pump away, put a Hemi pan on it, and a standard pump, hp spring. New crankshaft. Had to hone some scratches out of the cylinders.
Same pressure, less volume, never seen the oil pressure drop again, even with drag radials on a good pass.

How does a high volume pump, at the same oil pressure as a standard pump, push more oil through the same engine clearances?

How does a high volume pump, at the same oil pressure as a standard pump, push more oil through the same engine clearances?
It has the potential to push more oil through. Whether it does or does not will depend on the resistance. An engine that was built loose is more likely to benefit...

Basically, a high volume pump has taller rotors. I've seen, or maybe I measured the height difference. But long ago - no idea where.

To the OP. @Gus Loza Maybe. I had a High Volume pump contact the pan bottom before it was snugged up. Which car, which pan, sorry I don't remember.

...stupid question: with a HV oil pump and stock pan, is there any concern of running the pan dry? I want to eliminate my deep sump 6-7 qt pan and put a stock one on for clearance issues. This deep sump sucks being this low....lol
Thanks in advance.

View attachment 1715467680
It can. Just because it hasn't happened to everyone. It can...
You definitely run a risk of sucking the oil pan dry. Been there done that.
You're not the only one. My friend's lost an engine a couple years ago by sucking the pan dry road racing. They were pretty disgusted because had been a concern they had been assured had been addressed. They built the next engine themselves...
There is a situation where 20w-50 is still pretty common - road racing - especially if not running a big oil cooler.

Of course that's a world of diffence from street driving. Too many people think that if something is good for some form of racing it must be great for street use. Fell into that trap a bunch of times. Not sure I won't again...

The Milodon Road Race pan is nice, but required me to notch my K-member for clearance.
What pan is that in the photo? I actually like that design.
They have a newer pan with octagonal bottom and straight sides that they are now calling their road race pan. It's got a bunch of swinging trap doors in the center.

Last edited:
-
Back