Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
As far as slantsixdan goes, I suspect he is a LED enthusiast. I am not, but I did not mean to start a discussion about which one is best. Just that in my opinion the H4 ECE lights gives a better pattern and light than the old Sealed Beam headlights, and which I prefer since I have been used to that for most of my life. After we moved to California I don't like to drive in the darkness because I do not have good headlights, but there are also other reasons my wife and I prefer to be inside the house and lock both the screen door and the door after dark.
Anyway, the reason I do not like LED lights is complicated sort of. All humans eyes have some trouble with blueish light, it sort of tend to irritate the eye. But, for some reason I have an extreme version of it. My cousin has one of these lights you have on the forehead with a strap around the head. LED, and I can not see anything with it. I do not find tools, I do not see where to work or anything. But that is very blue. The more white or beige/yellow/orange the light is, the more and better I see, but it does not go very far on the blueish side before I struggle. So, traditional LED is usually a no no for me, even the bulbs inside the house. The bulbs inside the house that gives a more "tanned" light does not last very long. Maybe like 5000 hours at the most, so they kind of become expensive. Then I am not agree with the general understanding of how much CO2 footprint a LED light gives compared to an old fashioned light bulb. In use they are favorable, but the production of semi conductor material is not at all favorable. Then, LED lights for blinkers and stop lights... well, it is not really much to gain from that since they are on for so short amount of time. The last issue is LED as headlights in some winter conditions with snow. Since LED lights give less heat, they do not melt the snow off the glass as well as the old and hot lamps do. In Norway they have had to get headlights with a heater element to fix that problem on commercial trucks because they struggle stopping everywhere to clean the glasses. I mean I have heard that the heater elements are around 50-100 watts. And for a country like Norway, in the houses, where you 90% of the time you need a light also need heating, a LED to save electricity since the houses are heated with electricity, it is just a joke.
If people want to go the LED route it is up to them. I am just stating why I do not like them too much. I actually does not need more than one reason, that I can not see with that light. It is as simple as that.

Bill
You are right to be a little suspicious of Dan having his biases, he does.
Toolmanmike is correct that Dan is a lighting consultant, in other words he has been paid to make presumably unbiased recommendations based on engineering data. He's not an engineer but he uses the data, so there is some overlap.
Virgil is also a lighting consultant, with more years and professional experience in the field. But slightly different focus in what he does.

I don't know what happened to Dan, but without going into the details, I can't blame you for not wanting to ask him. But he is knowledgable and it is possible to filter the advice that is irrelevant to you. IMO only you know your drving conditions and personal preferences.
That is why I provided some alternatives to asking advice, or buying through him.

You have my complete sympathies on the LED.
I don't like the totally non-period look of the LED lamps, or the 'artifacts' in the lighting pattern of even the better lamps (Trucklite and JWS).
That doesn't even begin to get into the mods needed for installation, be it markers or headlights.
Of course I went out of the way to buy new old stock yellow painted 1034A bulbs for the front of my car. So that's where I'm coming from. :)
upload_2019-9-10_11-38-57.png

Got 'em from Stern back before he got to posting on forums.

@halifaxhops

You can call me a Liar all you want. I have always preferred women from northern and north western Europe, until I met my wife. After I met her, I prefer her. She is mostly Irish / Scottish. :D I am sure other women are fine too, for those who like that. But I am not one of them. It is not racist or anything like that. Just like some like Fords, some like GM, and some like a 1965 Dodge Dart.

Bill
I had no idea what a girl from north Europe even looks like. So I googled it and got these results.

I didn't know they are mostly blondes, they are beautiful

9992bc83a164ed06e9c05cf7cf41b595.jpg

d96aa0257551e1da018605115f689b55.jpg

Had to change my shorts just watching this....what a ride!

Oh and thanks for this.....opened it at my computer right in the middle of the office.....thought I had the volume way down......I was wrong!!! They were half track before I could get it shut down!!! Lol!!! It was loud!!!

@halifaxhops

You can call me a Liar all you want. I have always preferred women from northern and north western Europe, until I met my wife. After I met her, I prefer her. She is mostly Irish / Scottish. :D I am sure other women are fine too, for those who like that. But I am not one of them. It is not racist or anything like that. Just like some like Fords, some like GM, and some like a 1965 Dodge Dart.

Bill
I also googled Irish/ Scottish woman and got...
A bit different than what I was expecting but as they say, beauty comes from within

30df79baa90b542fb07371b6b7fd3c3b.jpg

Chargers have too many doors :lol:

My dad used to say that a truck (commercial truck) with only 2 wheel drive was only half a truck. He had one, the rest was 4 wheel drive. Now, you can chew a little on that one when it comes to cars and doors. LOL :D Sorry, I could not help myself, I just had to go there. I do find 1968 and 1969 Dodge Dart GTS very fine cars. But, that is about how far I am willing to admit anything when it comes to 2 door cars. LOL

Bill

My dad used to say that a truck (commercial truck) with only 2 wheel drive was only half a truck. He had one, the rest was 4 wheel drive. Now, you can chew a little on that one when it comes to cars and doors. LOL :D Sorry, I could not help myself, I just had to go there. I do find 1968 and 1969 Dodge Dart GTS very fine cars. But, that is about how far I am willing to admit anything when it comes to 2 door cars. LOL

Bill
Is your 65 dart a 2 or 4 door??

I also googled Irish/ Scottish woman and got...
A bit different than what I was expecting but as they say, beauty comes from within

View attachment 1715392266

So true, a man can not marry a pretty hair, big boobs, a hot ***. That fades. It is the person that counts, the entire package, until death do us part.

Bill

Been down the 4x4 truck road a couple of times. They have their uses. One thing I learned early on was "4 wheel drive just gets you out farther before you get stuck." :rofl:

You are right to be a little suspicious of Dan having his biases, he does.
Toolmanmike is correct that Dan is a lighting consultant, in other words he has been paid to make presumably unbiased recommendations based on engineering data. He's not an engineer but he uses the data, so there is some overlap.
Virgil is also a lighting consultant, with more years and professional experience in the field. But slightly different focus in what he does.

I don't know what happened to Dan, but without going into the details, I can't blame you for not wanting to ask him. But he is knowledgable and it is possible to filter the advice that is irrelevant to you. IMO only you know your drving conditions and personal preferences.
That is why I provided some alternatives to asking advice, or buying through him.

You have my complete sympathies on the LED.
I don't like the totally non-period look of the LED lamps, or the 'artifacts' in the lighting pattern of even the better lamps (Trucklite and JWS).
That doesn't even begin to get into the mods needed for installation, be it markers or headlights.
Of course I went out of the way to buy new old stock yellow painted 1034A bulbs for the front of my car. So that's where I'm coming from. :)
View attachment 1715392263
Got 'em from Stern back before he got to posting on forums.

slantsixman is a fine guy, and I have no issues with his preference. But, since I have the issue with blueish light, it is not much to do about it. It basically works like this, you and me in your garage, you have a cardboard box with the bottom covered with nuts, bolts, washers, pipe wrenches, combination wrenches, screwdrivers, some parts, points, rotors, oil pressure sender, whatever, but in no order, and you are under the car, and say Bill, can you give me the 1/2" UNC nut in the box. And I have a blueish LED light only to find the nut. After a while you will ask, what takes you so long. I simply can not make one thing from another in the box. All look the same to me. And that is a horrible feeling in traffic when you need to see well and fast.

Bill

Been down the 4x4 truck road a couple of times. They have their uses. One thing I learned early on was "4 wheel drive just gets you out farther before you get stuck." :rofl:

The trick is to know that you can get out as far as your buddy with the 2 wheel drive, but you can get home again too, while he can't.

It really has a nice choppy idle. Didn't hardly try when doing the short burnout.

What? No burnout? I say turbo mufflers. Don't want to give away the whole farm. Doncha know.

Not on the return trip. Couple neighbors down the road had some dirty looks. Return trip was just more of the rough idle. With a stock converter and 3.23 SG, it smokes then with ease though. I am wondering what a 3500 stall and 3.91s would be like! I do have some welded 2 chamber Magnaflow mufflers to install once i build the exhaust up.

Not on the return trip. Couple neighbors down the road had some dirty looks. Return trip was just more of the rough idle. With a stock converter and 3.23 SG, it smokes then with ease though. I am wondering what a 3500 stall and 3.91s would be like! I do have some welded 2 chamber Magnaflow mufflers to install once i build the exhaust up.

:) Sounds nice, and coming from me, a non-Whiplash Cam - 4 door / station wagon / slant six kind of guy, that says a lot. :) I like the mellow tone when you hit the trottle. Don't worry about the neighbors, they are just jealous. :D

Bill

-
Back