Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
No one mentioned that the dollar isn't what it used to be. When I was a kid a C note was something special. You could do a lot with that much cash. Heck even 20 bucks was a lot, but now a 20 hardly gets you anything and C note isn't really that much anymore.

Don't tell that to my hooker, she'll raise her prices....
oops.gif

Well since I got done with front brake lines I migrated to the rear lines. Ripping all the old stuff out I managed to bash my head on the lift hard enough to clack my teeth and knock me somewhat senseless. I decide to sit down in the house and collect my wits, stop the blood etc. not deep but just hurt like a mother. More pissed off at my own ignorance than anything else. Wife sees hand on head with towel asks what happened, with genuine concern in her eyes. I explain I raised up and walked into the lift arm. Thinking that pretty much summed up my brilliance. She proceeds to ask, well how did you do that? Now the mature loving husband would have simply explained. But....... the smarta** sitting there with bandage on head and growing goose egg replies. Well I was out checking the mail, when lo and behold a two post lift was sailing down the street, as I opened the mailbox the lift arm clipped me. I will spare you guys and one lady the ensuing conversation but suffice to say me and the hound got tossed out of the house and are back out in shop.

Well since I got done with front brake lines I migrated to the rear lines. Ripping all the old stuff out I managed to bash my head on the lift hard enough to clack my teeth and knock me somewhat senseless. I decide to sit down in the house and collect my wits, stop the blood etc. not deep but just hurt like a mother. More pissed off at my own ignorance than anything else. Wife sees hand on head with towel asks what happened, with genuine concern in her eyes. I explain I raised up and walked into the lift arm. Thinking that pretty much summed up my brilliance. She proceeds to ask, well how did you do that? Now the mature loving husband would have simply explained. But....... the smarta** sitting there with bandage on head and growing goose egg replies. Well I was out checking the mail, when lo and behold a two post lift was sailing down the street, as I opened the mailbox the lift arm clipped me. I will spare you guys and one lady the ensuing conversation but suffice to say me and the hound got tossed out of the house and are back out in shop.

She didn't want you bleeding on the furniture. No worries :rolleyes:

There's another thread about the prices of project cars these days.

No one mentioned that the dollar isn't what it used to be. When I was a kid a C note was something special. You could do a lot with that much cash. Heck even 20 bucks was a lot, but now a 20 hardly gets you anything and C note isn't really that much anymore.

Its a shame that the USA dollar isn't top dog in the world anymore.
When I got my first "real" job in 1979, I was making $2.70 an hour, plus tips delivering pizza. Gas was about a buck a gallon and insurance for my 68 Ford Fairlane 500 was about $140 bucks a year. Today I make over $24 bucks an hour and I barely have any left after paying mortgage and bills. :wtf:

Tho shalt not piss off the pretty redhead!

When I got my first "real" job in 1979, I was making $2.70 an hour, plus tips delivering pizza. Gas was about a buck a gallon and insurance for my 68 Ford Fairlane 500 was about $140 bucks a year. Today I make over $24 bucks an hour and I barely have any left after paying mortgage and bills. :wtf:
I remember when minimum wage went up to $3.15/hr. Thought we were getting rich! On salary now, I'd hate to convert that to an hourly rate... probably quit and just drink..

I remember when minimum wage went up to $3.15/hr. Thought we were getting rich! On salary now, I'd hate to convert that to an hourly rate... probably quit and just drink..

Yep, I remember $3.15/hr... And $1.00 for a gallon of gas...

Remember full service gas stations where the attendant filled your gas, checked all fluids under the hood, and checked the tire pressure included in the price of gas????

Gas stations had mechanics and repaired cars...

:D

mrw-my-wife-says-i-think-theres-something-in-your-teeth-let-me-see-them-184946.gif

Yep. Going smartass on a reply like that pretty much rules out compassion and having beers handed to you. You done F’d that one up. :BangHead:

Remember full service gas stations where the attendant filled your gas, checked all fluids under the hood, and checked the tire pressure included in the price of gas????

I was that attendant for a few years. And yes, we had a 3 bay shop with licensed mechanics too.

<~~~~ was that guy @ $1.65/hr

SPAM!! I like SPAM

Opened a can and fried it and melted some cheese on it and made a sammich..... I'm set all day

Now its time to go lay on the couch upside down and take a nap

I pumped gas at the local shell station in the seventies, we would sit in the back of our bays and put grease zerks in our wrist rockets and launch them at the guys running the station across the street. Naturally they did same in return. On weekends we would line up our respective wreckers and drag race them. Top speed maybe 35mph. Life was simpler then.

I pumped gas at the local shell station in the seventies, we would sit in the back of our bays and put grease zerks in our wrist rockets and launch them at the guys running the station across the street. Naturally they did same in return. On weekends we would line up our respective wreckers and drag race them. Top speed maybe 35mph. Life was simpler then.
On Saturdays in the winter we would do donuts around the pump islands with the tow truck, usually with me standing on the cradle hanging on the to the cable. Until I nearly got launched through the front window of the building, took us a while to come up with a believable explanation for how it got cracked.
:lol:

I did the gas jockey thing too. Too young to drive,or understand cars. When we moved here from the city, i pumped gas for a little while, full service gas station.i didnt know anything then either,but the mechanics were the worst in town. I didnt have much to do with them though. I was too busy chasing the girls in the restaurant

Same here pumped gas at a Shell in the late 60"s Worked the grave yard shift, it was a 24/7 gas station . You sure get some weird ones on the midnight shift !:realcrazy:

Phillip's 66 for me. Back in 71 and 72. I worked Weekends and helped the owner start a gas war one Sunday night. We changed the signs to 19.9. I bet O' Brien had a cow when he drove by on Monday morning to open his Standard station down the street. LMFAO

Well, I'm goin for it, I'm springin free, I'm goin over the wire, I cant take it anymore, Im out. See you guys on the other side..:lol:

-
Back