Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
I put it this way. Dan generally provides good information, which is usually backed by documention and experience. I wouldn't call him the last word, even in lighting, that's going too far. That's not to take away from the fact that he is an expert in automotive lighting and one of the few in that field to have been so willing and generous to share his knowledge with automotive enthusiasts. All I'm saying is there have been times I've found slightly different expert opinions and that he himself has changed his perspective or conclusions over time. That he can and has done so is an indicaticator that he is a true professional.

I don't know man. He's about as close to the last word as I can think of. The one instance I used was a real exception because of location and performance level. Other than that, he's right. And as for his lighting expertise, I can think of none better.

There's only one thing I've found to be at odds with Dan. That's the manifold heat argument. But I'm only at odds with him regarding performance oriented slant engines, not stock or mild. I don't care what engine it is, once you get past a certain level of performance, they all benefit from blocked intake manifold heat from the exhaust. It's a thermodynamic fact. See how I worked that big word in? Now I feel smart.

But seriously, as in my very recent battle against detonation in my hot slant 6 build, were I to remove that block off plate, the engine would detonate again and it would not produce the power it does now. In my situation, living as far south as I do, it has zero effect on how fast it warms up. One argument was the choke wouldn't work well. It's electric. Plus, it's adjusted all the way open and not hooked up. LOL

On a stock to mild engine, I'll go along with it......but even where I live, they can benefit as well. I even have manifold heat blocked of on the 351M in my Ford truck. No problem at all and it even helped the engine temp drop keeping all that heat out of the intake. IMO, it was a stupid idea for vehicles operating in warm climates.
I guess its to improve atomization of the fuel until engine is fully warmed up. My 51 flathead has one,that tells me it has little to do with emissions. Mine is wired open as it likes to stick.

I guess its to improve atomization of the fuel until engine is fully warmed up. My 51 flathead has one,that tells me it has little to do with emissions. Mine is wired open as it likes to stick.

That's it exactly. Once warmed up, it's actually of no benefit. Especially on a performance build that needs a cooler incoming air charge. I've never needed a choke, for example. On anything. Nuthin. Nada. Zilch. Would it speed up gettin on the road? Maybe, but if I'm ever in "THAT BIG" a hurry, somethin's wrong.

I don't know man. He's about as close to the last word as I can think of. The one instance I used was a real exception because of location and performance level. Other than that, he's right. And as for his lighting expertise, I can think of none better.
I'll go with none better.
But its been interesting to see how what he recommends and says has evolved. I'll give you one example. He used to really deride US headlights. Then some years ago he came around to recognizing there were strengths and weaknesses in both US and Euro lighting standards. Further that there were different levels of quality in lamps and bulbs so making blanket starements that one is 'good' or 'bad' is generally not accurate or helpful.

That's a critique, not a critisism. IMO its a sign of professionalism that he's interested and willing to learn.
PS. My example above is not a secret. I you dig around here (or if not here then Candlepower forums) he's posted about his changing perspective on that topic.

Speaking of experts.
This is a good one on how to identify fake experts. Pretty funny. Can translate pretty much all of these points to other areas. In fact, he uses cars giving examples of his fifth sign that the person is not actually an expert.

Last edited:
So, they put a concrete plant where the asparagus plats were supposed to be? Did it grow OK? What kind of fertilizer do you use on that?

Good Morning

It was a producing field. Stuff grows like grass except it takes a number of years to be commercially productive. Supervisors told Corps of Engineers where they wanted the plant, Corps handled it, farmers be dammed, federal project in a federal wetland.

All top trim on. Headliner next up.

20210504_090403.jpg

My tiller is alive again. Put in new coil, spark plug and air filter. Didn’t want to start. Gave it a shot of starter fluid and fired right up. Just had to give it a few more short bursts of juice till it pulled some gas up and kept running. Also had to weld one tine back on its hub. Had done 3 of the 4 previously.

@toolmanmike This is where you are staying?
Holiday Inn & Suites St. Paul NE - Lake Elmo
we are basically across the street kitty corner
Hampton Inn & Suites St. Paul Oakdale/Woodbury

upload_2021-5-4_14-1-20.png

OK men.
I think this should be put in Reference.
1966 Dart GT headliner bow color position
Rear = Red
1 = Violet
2 = Pink
3 = Blue
4= Silver
Front = Gold.

PITA to figure out, and could not find any info on that. thanks

-
Back