Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Some. I spent a Summer sailing a 35’ sailboat up and down the Cheasapeake bay when I was 20. Hardly ever used the engine, just when the wind was dead.

I realize that was awhile ago, and times have changed. Not saying your old or anything, but kind saying dammmmmmn that was a long time ago! :poke:

How hard is it to get the hang of it?

Last edited:
I realize that was awhile ago, and times have changed. Not saying your old or anything, but kind saying dammmmmmn that was a long time ago! :poke:

I didn’t find it too hard. I did some sailing before that in small 12’ Sunfish day sailers and 18’ Hobi cats during Summers at the shore.

The principles are very straight forward and you need to develop a “feel” for the boat. I could easily put a side rail in the water while ripping up the Chesapeake bay at 28 mph with a feeling of total control as I dropped out of the high speed run and maneuvered into a cove to set anchor for the night.

I didn’t find it too hard. I did some sailing before that in small 12’ Sunfish day sailers and 18’ Hobi cats during Summers at the shore.

The principles are very straight forward and you need to develop a “feel” for the boat. I could easily put a side rail in the water while ripping up the Chesapeake bay at 28 mph with a feeling of total control as I dropped out of the high speed run and maneuvered into a cove to set anchor for the night.
Reason I ask is we are looking to get into sailing and eventually the Caribbean/open ocean. We signed up for the ASA 101 certification next June on a local lake to get the hang of sailing, then we will take 103, 104 and 114 on the ocean. Its part of our retirement, if not before plan.

Reason I ask is we are looking to get into sailing and eventually the Caribbean/open ocean. We signed up for the ASA 101 certification next June on a local lake to get the hang of sailing, then we will take 103, 104 and 114 on the ocean. Its part of our retirement, if not before plan.
Wait a second, You two aren't old enough to retire! LOL

I never sailed before. Me and 2 buddies got a 26ish foot sailboat cheep. Read a little on the internet. Raised the mast (hardest part) and dropped it in the lake. Lowered the keel, one guy towed us out with a jetski (we had no outboard). Within an hour, our drunk asses were sailing around the lake.. Tacking into the wind wasn't even hard. Really enjoyable boating. Wish we'd been on a bigger lake tho, but in West Texas you take what you get. ****-ton of fun. We painted a name on the stern just cuz. 'Mahogany and Leather Bound Books'... Yep, we drank a lot..

I never sailed before. Me and 2 buddies got a 26ish foot sailboat cheep. Read a little on the internet. Raised the mast (hardest part) and dropped it in the lake. Lowered the keel, one guy towed us out with a jetski (we had no outboard). Within an hour, our drunk asses were sailing around the lake.. Tacking into the wind wasn't even hard. Really enjoyable boating. Wish we'd been on a bigger lake tho, but in West Texas you take what you get. ****-ton of fun. We painted a name on the stern just cuz. 'Mahogany and Leather Bound Books'... Yep, we drank a lot..
Hahaha, great story! Thanks for sharing. I dont think it would be hard, but neither of us have ever done it and watching videos it looks simple, but that is another story.

Hahaha, great story! Thanks for sharing. I dont think it would be hard, but neither of us have ever done it and watching videos it looks simple, but that is another story.
You will be fine. You will tune into it quickly enough and have a blast. The hardest part is knowing what to do when the weather and/or seas turns foul, and you can learn that easily enough.

When all else fails, drop and secure the sails and batten down the hatches to ride it out..

Last edited:
Big difference if you want to sail in the ocean vs a lake. Boat is easy, the ocean can be a *****! Learn a lot, respect the weather/seas and be careful. Sounds like a great retirement plan. I'm a spot jealous.

Big difference if you want to sail in the ocean vs a lake. Boat is easy, the ocean can be a *****! Learn a lot, respect the weather/seas and be careful. Sounds like a great retirement plan. I'm a spot jealous.
Oh for sure a big difference. We are thinking of taking our other certifications in the Bahamas just so we get a feel for the open ocean and we will have an instructor with us.

This is possibly a way before retirement decision. Sell it all and travel the world, we've started a 5 year plan a couple months ago. Been watching a lot of sailing vlogs and reading. Finding out there are family's with little kids that do this and they are making it..

Im going sailing too carnival breeze.
Thats what floats my boat.

Oh for sure a big difference. We are thinking of taking our other certifications in the Bahamas just so we get a feel for the open ocean and we will have an instructor with us.

This is possibly a way before retirement decision. Sell it all and travel the world, we've started a 5 year plan a couple months ago. Been watching a lot of sailing vlogs and reading. Finding out there are family's with little kids that do this and they are making it..
Now for the flip side of living on the Ocean...

Be prepared to be damp all the time. The Ocean is a very humid environment.

Bucket baths only occasionally...and mostly using salt water (fresh water will be in limited supply).

Days and sometimes weeks on end without contact with another human being, just the two of you.

Pirates...yes, they are real and need to be considered. Defensive capability is a must.

Spending much of your time when you are in Port resupplying and doing maintenance on the vessel.

Learn to love eating and catching fish. Fresh meat will be mostly fish. Veggies and fruit will be scarce as they don’t last long in that environment....nor will fresh meat from land animals.

Desalination to replenish drinking water will be a near daily chore. Little will be available for cooking.

Bread will be a rare treat.

There are dozens of other things too. The important part is to go in with eyes wide open and understand what the work and sacrifices are to live that life.

Bucket baths only occasionally...and mostly using salt water (fresh water will be in limited supply).

Days and sometimes weeks on end without contact with another human being, just the two of you.

Pirates...yes, they are real and need to be considered. Defensive capability is a must.

Spending much of your time when you are in Port resupplying and doing maintenance on the vessel.

Learn to love eating and catching fish. Fresh meat will be mostly fish. Veggies and fruit will be scarce as they don’t last long in that environment....nor will fresh meat from land animals.

Desalination to replenish drinking water will be a near daily chore. Little will be available for cooking.

There are dozens of other things too. The important part is to go in with eyes wide open and understand what the work and sacrifices are to live that life.
Damn! I guess I'll beat myself with 2X4.. Sounds simpler!

All the reasons i love cruise ships.
5 star hotel that goes places.

Sailing, will be going when we visit friends in BC.
I am looking forward to a day on the water.

Oh yes, been reading all about that wonderfulness and to us it sounds perfect!

All the reasons i love cruise ships.
5 star hotel that goes places.

Sailing, will be going when we visit friends in BC.
I am looking forward to a day on the water.
We love cruises as well. This will be the first year in the past 4 that we will not be going. We've wanted to book one, but just cant do it this year.

Our next cruise is 2020.
In march?
Wth? winters over in march...
Oh, spring break, one of our fellow cruisers is a teacher.

-
Back