Stroke old 340 or new crate engine

-
You and my wife have something in common, you both know how to spend my money really well!
Then we have similar wives... LMAO!!!!!
By the time you put all aluminum parts on the big block it will weigh about the same as a small block (Standard) but will be about 20 - 40 cubes greater (Minus stroking the 440) with bigger valves in a better flowing head.

I stroked my 340 to 418 with w2 heads
Honestly I probably could of gone a stroked 400 for the same price and been further ahead with the giggle power

trying to decide what to do with my 1970 340. I'm getting ready to pull the engine and trans from my prostreet duster. I can't seem to decide wether to rebuild it into a 416-420 or just buy a crate engine. I'd like it to make 500hp normally aspirated and possibly install a troque storm supercharger. If I rebuild the 340 I can get a compression ratio thats more suited to the supercharger. Crate engines seem to be around 10:1. Also seems like most crate engines I've looked at use cast cranks. Seems like forged would be better but maybe its just over kill. Opinions?
Going with a stroker crank is much cheaper than a blower...maybe not as much fun though! Yes, you can get pistons at 8:1 for blower use...A good stroker engine that makes that power will be cheaper than the blower version, by quite a bit but like I said the blower is fun to mess with too!

Going with a stroker crank is much cheaper than a blower...maybe not as much fun though! Yes, you can get pistons at 8:1 for blower use...A good stroker engine that makes that power will be cheaper than the blower version, by quite a bit but like I said the blower is fun to mess with too!
Read the Mopar Muscle 360 Magnum build, the last two months. Nice solid numbers , with a nice peak spread. Nice street engine.

If the plan is for a blower, build your own stroker. Use a forged crank. Crate engines are cheap because of the aprts used, in addition to mass production (lots of the same stuff over and over). Once you start customizing, in my opinion, you are WAY better just building your own or having a trusted shop do it. You could build an 8:1 stroker, run it with one cam and make close to that 500hp level with big torque right off idle, until you want to add the blower. Then just change the cam and add the blower.

Read the Mopar Muscle 360 Magnum build, the last two months. Nice solid numbers , with a nice peak spread. Nice street engine.
Yep. That's the exact layout plan for my '73 360 block right now. I got the pistons and cam on order. Inquired about the heads earlier this evening. I'm not stroking it, just .030" over on the pistons. It's going in a '73 Dart Sport for primarily street use...and an occasional pass down the quarter. Looking for about 450hp on the build. Will be running it thru a built 904 and a built 8.25" rear with 3:55s & Auburn unit.

Funny. I’m going through the same question in my head. Except my 340 is in a Coronet and I’m debating between stroking my 340 or building a 440. I have already purchased a 440 block but haven’t made up my mind yet.
In a B body, I would DEFINITELY go with a 440.

trying to decide what to do with my 1970 340. I'm getting ready to pull the engine and trans from my prostreet duster. I can't seem to decide wether to rebuild it into a 416-420 or just buy a crate engine. I'd like it to make 500hp normally aspirated and possibly install a troque storm supercharger. If I rebuild the 340 I can get a compression ratio thats more suited to the supercharger. Crate engines seem to be around 10:1. Also seems like most crate engines I've looked at use cast cranks. Seems like forged would be better but maybe its just over kill. Opinions?
Since it is not a matching number car. I have to ask what your budget is. A good running 1970 340 is worth a good chunk of change. You could sell your 340 for enough to pay for a significant part of a 360 based stroker motor. Your choice as to whether it is a crate or you source the 360 donor. Let's say a good 360 based stroker costs $8,000 (+/-), and you can sell your 340 for $2,000. now your stroker is only $6,000. That's what I'd do. If budget is not an issue, stroke the 340. I'd go with a forged crank. Ma Mopar spent the extra money to put them in 340s for reason. They are stronger.

Just took the supercharger off of my 340. Was 8.5:1 compression. I asked the same question as you did, buy crate or have machine shop build it. In the end some of the FABO members talked me out of buying a crate engine as they are generally mass produced and you really don't know what is in the engine. I decided to go with normally aspirated 416 with 11:1 compression and Edelbrock aluminum heads. Good luck with your build.

Just took the supercharger off of my 340. Was 8.5:1 compression. I asked the same question as you did, buy crate or have machine shop build it. In the end some of the FABO members talked me out of buying a crate engine as they are generally mass produced and you really don't know what is in the engine. I decided to go with normally aspirated 416 with 11:1 compression and Edelbrock aluminum heads. Good luck with your build.
Getting more than 408 is one good reason to use the 340, are you happy with the results? I realy need to pull the heads and see what it's bored to now, it's possible there's nothing left.

Getting more than 408 is one good reason to use the 340, are you happy with the results? I realy need to pull the heads and see what it's bored to now, it's possible there's nothing left.
Still at the machine shop. I will let you Know. If you want to check out the thread it's call "Well it Finally Happened". 340 blocks are getting hard to come by. I had a spare block but it turned out that I would have to sleeve cylinders 2 & 4. I wasn't putting this kind of money into a repaired block. Ended up finding a stock bore bare block for $400.00.

Still at the machine shop. I will let you Know. If you want to check out the thread it's call "Well it Finally Happened". 340 blocks are getting hard to come by. I had a spare block but it turned out that I would have to sleeve cylinders 2 & 4. I wasn't putting this kind of money into a repaired block. Ended up finding a stock bore bare block for $400.00.
What was the final bore on the 340 that needed 2 sleeves, if it's . 030, I'd buy if you're near.

Stock bore and needs a sleeve?
That's not a good sign. Rust, internal failure damage or just a **** casting.
Not sure what happened to it. It was that way when I got it. #2 had a scratch in it and #4 had a small crack. My engine guy said it was repairable but I didn't want to put money into a repaired block. It would have only been about $200.00 to sleeve.

If you decide to stroke it I have several Mopar Performance forged 4 inch cranks I will sell cheaper than you can buy an Eagle or Scat for.

They are $1085 from Jegs and Summit, I'm asking $700 but I may split shipping with you. I don't know who makes them for Mopar

IMG_1919.JPG

IMG_1920.JPG

IMG_1921.JPG

That’s funny! That would be the Chapman CNC ported head.

-
Back