Strut rod washers.... correct way to use.

-

HemiMark

Reaction score
So is it cupped over the rubber or the other way. If it's the other way way does it say "this side to rubber"? Can anyone confirm. Thanks

IMG_0039-1.jpg

OR

IMG_0134.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg

First pic is correct, the rod has to be able to pivot, that provides for that!

Yes!, if the washer is turned the other way, it tries to compress the bushing, but being cupped away from it, it can piviot farther without binding up as much

who da thunk it!...I been wrong all these years

Were there any directions with your bushings? I used Moogs on my rebuild. IIRC, the diagrams that came with them showed the rear washer was cupped backwards while the front washer was cupped over the bushing like the original. I don't know if I still have the directions, if I do I will try to scan them.
C

I think it had to do with which bushings you are using. I believe the original ones had the concave side of the washer toward the bushing but some of the replacements came with washers that were spun around the other way.

The curveature goes AWAY FROM THE RUBBER BUSHING.

Hey guy's the Chrysler manual shows the washers and strut bushings directly oposite of the first picture.I am checking Chilton and Haynes to see if they show the way that you got them.Nope both books show that you have the strut bushings and washers backwards.

this is mine....

Attachments

• Picture 431.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 1,264
I have seen earlier cars with concave side to bushing and i think somewhere around 73 it changed.

I have seen earlier cars with concave side to bushing and i think somewhere around 73 it changed.

Are you sure that someone didn't change them and put them in wrong? I've always seen them with the curveature away from the rubber on both sides of the bushings.

We just removed the lower control arms from my son's 71 virgin Valiant today and the curveature was away from the rubber bushings.

HemiDenny and I have been busting each others balls for the past year about which way they go! I know where there is a 24,000 original Duster. denny may have to go look or make a phone call!

Just went out and looked at my38000 mile 68 cuda.Also looked at my 79 Warlock,Sorry I don't have a duster here.Both the same way.Looked at 70 dart-it has over 90000 miles,all cupped over the bushings.Let us know what you find.Maybe thats just how they did them in St Louis.

If you look at pic #2, on the back of the washer, it even states, "This side to rubber" and it is opposite of the curve. How much more explaination does it take? Assemble it with THAT SIDE TO RUBBER!

every single one i have ever taken apart off of original cars 68-77 have ALWAYS cupped the bushing to keep it from expanding and squeezing the rubber out, or split the bushing, here is a 77. i know it is a different cup design but the theory is the same

Attachments

• a25.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 1,012
every single one i have ever taken apart off of original cars 68-77 have ALWAYS cupped the bushing to keep it from expanding and squeezing the rubber out. here is a 77. i know it is a different cup design but the theory is the same

+1 and I have taken apart about 6 A and B bodies over the past 2 years. Over the past couple of months I have taken apart two untouched 73 A bodies and they are cupped towards the bushing.

I replaced mine with new Moogs. The ones I replaced were the originals. And they were cupped over the bushing. On the instructions from Moog they cup over the bushing for the front. But the back ones go concave just like it says on the strut washers rubber to this side. So the ones behind go concave out. The front ones said rubber this side on the inside of the concave.

Fred B

i researched this topic until my eyes bled before i rebuilt my front end on a 38k mile valiant, the originals were cupped towards the bushings. i installed the new ones with poly bushings cups out front and rear based on what was recommended the most during my research.

I replaced mine with new Moogs. The ones I replaced were the originals. And they were cupped over the bushing. On the instructions from Moog they cup over the bushing for the front. But the back ones go concave just like it says on the strut washers rubber to this side. So the ones behind go concave out. The front ones said rubber this side on the inside of the concave.

Fred B
That's my experience too.

Just a thought about this...I remember my '69 Charger had the washers concave toward the bushing but the replacement bushings had the washers marked to be installed opposite this. The original washers were fairly flat with a slight curvature. The replacement washers had the more pronounced angle like as seen in 70aarcuda's pic. Maybe the difference is the replacement washer would compress the outside of the bushing too much?

-
Back