Suggestions for new design Aluminum Mopar SB clean slate (kind of) cylinder heads

-
Other companies aren’t allowed to copy jack. I’m s very pricey to “copy” an OEM design and Chrysler is the most protective of them all. Bar none.

Other companies aren’t allowed to copy jack. I’m s very pricey to “copy” an OEM design and Chrysler is the most protective of them all. Bar none.
May be I should have clarified, An exact copy is not what I meant. Casting an aluminum head to work on Mopar Magnum engines wouldn't be a copy.

How do the SBM B-1 B-A M/C aluminum head from Brodix stack up ? Can you get any flow out of them ? How much ? Don't they use W-2/W-5 rockers ?

Not for the market they are aimed at. Smart move in my eyes

Agreed. A budget option that could flow 290 to 300 out of the box using stock style parts would be great.

Only option for that now is trickflows if you can find them and have 3 grand to drop for heads and rockers.

Above all else, have the Q.A. team on their toes to ensure that they are a true 100% bolt on out of the box.
Every time.
To me, that would go a long way, just clean the shipping oil off and bolt them on.
We've all heard the horror stories about non sealing valves, guides too tight or loose, and spring height corrections not to mention debris from the manufacturing process in the ports...

Above all else, have the Q.A. team on their toes to ensure that they are a true 100% bolt on out of the box.
Every time.
To me, that would go a long way, just clean the shipping oil off and bolt them on.
We've all heard the horror stories about non sealing valves, guides too tight or loose, and spring height corrections not to mention debris from the manufacturing process in the ports...
Debris. @318willrun had issues with that. Pulling them out of the box and taking them apart to clean and check is acceptable. That should be done with most machined parts.

You know that was already done by someone?
I remember those. They went over like a lead balloon. Too costly to make and machine, too costly to buy, too many proprietary parts involved. And ho-hum flow numbers to boot. And has anybody actually SEEN a running set of those, in person? Not I. Cool looking, though.

How do the SBM B-1 B-A M/C aluminum head from Brodix stack up ? Can you get any flow out of them ? How much ? Don't they use W-2/W-5 rockers ?
The BA head uses standard spacing rockers with block/stands. The MC is the "moved center" head where it moves the intake valve over the open up the port. These use offset intake rockers. Not sure of the offset spec. I ran a set of BA heads for many years on a 408. There was previously done machining before I got them. They were angle milled to ****. Like 46 cc chambers. My flat top 408 was 15 to 1. These come with 2.08 valves and I think it was too much valve. They can work, but, they need a lot of work.

I think you'd be money ahead producing an aluminum low deck block and building those with the many available heads.
I'd even buy the first block or short block.
Some of us create engines and don't need a crate engine. I know, we are in the minority sooo....
I'm done with my rambling since we're not getting of 300+ cfm head. lol

Every time.
From what I understand, 90% of these heads will get bolted on in house
So on paper, if something is out of spec, the assembly guy who caught it, can walk over the the QA guy who passed it, grab him by the ear and show him the mistake

I think you'd be money ahead producing an aluminum low deck block and building those with the many available heads.
I'd even buy the first block or short block.
Some of us create engines and don't need a crate engine. I know, we are in the minority sooo....
I'm done with my rambling since we're not getting of 300+ cfm head. lol
I have one flowing 401....but it's not the shape you want

1681326599318.png

From what I understand, 90% of these heads will get bolted on in house
So on paper, if something is out of spec, the assembly guy who caught it, can walk over the the QA guy who passed it, grab him by the ear and show him the mistake

This is one of the reasons these heads will likely be better quality than all other aftermarket offerings.
Warranty work is expensive, and so BPE will have far more incentive to make truly bolt-on heads out-of-the-box than any other mfg.

Great idea Toolmanmike.
2" or 1.94...11/32 or 8mm... flow range of what..280cfm ootb? Or just copy a 260cfm port and leave room for the picky?
Making a part the Chinese already copied shouldn't be an issue, should it?

Here's the deal....
You can change the intake side and simply use a magnum styled exhaust port. The iron sm mag exhaust ports are really nice..and use a regular readily available header. The intake... who would bolt an ootb aluminum intake onto a 300 cm head it wasn't designed for? I don't know of anyone who would, knowingly. All the intake out there were designed around stock heads...the flow low stock 200's cfm. Come on man...
I'm sure one could be made to at least make the push rod pinch thicker toward the push rod maybe another .060. Look at the push rods lean in these things to the side.
So a stock constraint magnum port doing 300+cfm., that guinea pig is going to be 70% iron and 30% epoxy.

Even the great Chevy LS head won’t flow 300 cfm till you fix it. And even then it matches the small block Mopar TrickFlow numbers.

What did the small block (hemi)heads from hotheads out of Tennessee flow??

I don’t think Johnny will mind but as a post gets past two pages many guys start reading on page 3 and the post becomes a trainwreck. I did a copy and paste to remind us of his boundaries

All,

Time for our mopar sb lineup to get some love. I'd like to ask the masses to chime in with suggestions / observations for a BluePrint Engines Mopar SB cylinder head. (with a catch of course)

Here are some facts that are Non negotiable. Some of you won't love the "Limitations" , your opinions are welcome, but these are things I CANNOT change, based on block availability.

1. These will use pushrod oiling, and have stud mounted rockers. LA blocks in the world for a company of our Size are too sparse to use deck oiling or shaft rockers. Not interested in the cost of shaft rockers, or trying to oil shaft rockers through the pushrods. Just is what it is.
2. I hope to utilize the LA intake manifold bolt pattern opposed to magnum. Opens up aftermarket intake availability. I think the intake bolts (LA vs magnum) occupy the same realestate, so there won't be enough meat to machine both at the same time. has to be 1 or the other. correct me if i'm wrong.
3. Keeping in mind we're an engine manufacture first, not a head company....the idea is to use these on our engines first....and offer them to the aftermarket as capacity allows.
4. Must be magnum head -ish based. I cannot get into weird W2 ports, completely moving the pushrod holes, etc. These are primary going in 500HP and down cars, so they must fit without weird custom headers, use avail intakes, etc.

outside of the above, I would love to hear things you dislike about the other few heads on the market, or would change. EX: do the magnum edelbrocks have missing bolt bosses vs an LA? are magnum based heads fatter somewhere an LA isn't, so they make it hard to bolt on OE accessories. (may be completely false, just throwing out examples)

Should be a nice little 290 ish CFM street/strip head with a 2.08 intake valve that does everything we need it to do, w/o getting too exotic.

thanks everyone in advance for the input

I think 300 ish should at least be possible. I think you should call Pittsburghracer, he really seems to know what's going on. Chevy rockers all the way, they are plentiful and cheap.

What did the small block (hemi)heads from hotheads out of Tennessee flow??
Hot Heads in Tennessee is 1st Gen Hemi stuff- Firepower, Red Ram, FireDome...
The smallblock conversion hemi heads were from a place in Pennsylvania:
the new hemi
I remember reading the flow numbers, but I'll be darned if I can find them now.

Did you guys read?

4. Must be magnum head -ish based. I cannot get into weird W2 ports, completely moving the pushrod holes, etc. These are primary going in 500HP and down cars, so they must fit without weird custom headers, use avail intakes, etc.
I think everybody here reads well. Since when is the exchanging of opinions and ideas a bad thing? Just because he said no W2 or the like doesn't mean he cannot glean some good ideas from suggestions. Maybe use this style port with that style bowl with another style valve or such. I think throwing all kinds of ideas in the melting pot is a good thing. And now we get insulted for such? For shame.

He asked and I told him what I wanted.
I'm not used to thinking small when creating something.
It sucks to be in the minority and not in the market.
That is all, adios.

I think the real bottom line here is, what is the business need first, from a crate engine standpoint.

The next order of business is how do you ultimately differentiate your cylinder head against: trick flow, Edelbrock, and speed master heads. Because that's who the competition is. Why will I purchase the BPE head over those?

-
Back