Suspension/Steering replacement with engine out

-

my5thmopar

Life Long MOPAR Owner
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if there is any advantage to fixing the front end while the engine is out. If there isn't an overwhelming reason too, I would rather not have the expense now. (since I'm building the engine). The suspension is going to need bushings, tie rods, shocks and possibly ball joints. I'll be cleaning and painting. Ideas please!

Craig

not really, unless your pulling the steering chuck too

If you are working in a home garage a lot of the suspension work will be done the hard way ( under the car ). If the engine is out you could drop the K member and complete suspension. Sit it all on top of a 55 gallon drum or similar comfortable working height and have at it.
Here's the thing that many run into... with the engine out the bushings are rotated to a place they haven't been before. When it goes back down the wear and squeeks are often more evident.

If you are working in a home garage a lot of the suspension work will be done the hard way ( under the car ). If the engine is out you could drop the K member and complete suspension. Sit it all on top of a 55 gallon drum or similar comfortable working height and have at it.
Here's the thing that many run into... with the engine out the bushings are rotated to a place they haven't been before. When it goes back down the wear and squeeks are often more evident.

x2 i found doing mine when the engine was out easy.

Good time to remove, inspect and repaint the K-member. Pay close attention to the welds around the steering box mount and the LCA pivot shaft tubes.

Good advice Chief,I hope he knows not to torque his lower pivot pin nut until there is weight on his susp.

Yeah, empty engine compartment. Others are correct, no weight, can get weird. Alighment, only with full weight on the ground.

Thanks for the tips.....Hum....Decisions decisions.

Craig

If you are addressing the steering ( like upgrading to a firm feel or re-sealing) do it with the motor out. I found this out the hard way.

-
Back