TCI Transmissions: What your opinion

-

65BCODA

Reaction score
Its time to purchase a tranny or have one built.
My father-inlaw can get me a 25% discount on TCI trans and converter.
I have heard a few negative things from the Mopar community.
So what is your experience or opinion on TCI products/customer service?

I haven't had good or bad luck with the mopar stuff, but I do know of a few instances where they didn't hold up like they should have. Even had a mild 455 olds bend all of the fins inside the converter over and go from stalling at 2400, to stalling at 3800! Thankfully, it didn't kill the trans (TH350). They told me that even though it states it was for big block use, it won't handle that much torque. I kind of thought to myself...don't all big blocks make decent torque? That was the last one I used.

Well I guess a 25% discount is not worth the trouble.
Looking at a cope now.
Thanks all for the input.
Roger

I just did a turbo 350 to 4L80E conversion for one of my customers. used the TCI computer and wireing. the wireing was ok, the program that came with it was out of date and had to be updated, the USB cable was bad, and the communication cable was no good. what a freaking nightmare, so they sent me a shirt for my troubles.

Are there no transmission builders you can trust in your area??...as for a converter you won't find a better converter guy then Lenny at Ultimate converters 203-874-2100....

Gotta concur,my TCI 727 work's great behind my 360.

My TCI works great! I bought it back in 1995 and it is still together.I only have maybe 8000 miles on it but I shift it at 6500-7000 all day behind a 383.I change the fluid and filter every 2000 miles.I also put a deep pan on it. Jim

Put some real power through those t.c.i.'s and see what happens.they're not called Total Crap Incorporated for nothing...

TCI works just fine if you limit the power to 450hp or less. Only draw back is the heat treated sprag. They'd be much stronger with a bolt in sprag. JMO

From my studying on Dodge transmissions, if ya'll are going to have your trans redone, or buy a performance trans, you should absolutely, positively, completely, utterly - get my drift? - make sure that it has a bolt in "sprag" or Overrunning clutch. Its a simple upgrade that will really add to the strength of your trans. My 2 cents.

My buddy and I both have CRT (Cope Racing Trans) trans, he has a 4800 stall with brake, and I have 3500 stall. We are both making over 600hp, and both love the CRT trans. John knows his $&!?, and is great to deal with, plus you get one free rebuild. Just my 2 cents!!

I have a JW 727 WITH A BRAKE, AT 300 RUNS I PULLED IT APART AT OUR LOCAL DODGE DEALER AND THE MECHANIC THAT CHECKED IT OVER SAID I WASATED HIS TIME, THERE WAS NOTHING WRONG WITH IT, REPLACE THE SEALS AND GASKETS AND HAVE ANOTHER 250 PLUS RUNS ON IT WITH NO PROBLEMS WITH IT, THATS WITH A 5200 RPM 8 INCH STALL AND CLOSE TO 600 DYNOED HORSE POWER, BUT I DO CHANGE THE FLIUD AND FILTER AFTER 30 RUNS (2 WEEKENDS OF RACING), KEEPING FRESH FLUID , FILTER(DEALER ONLY FILTERS) AND A GOOD COOLER MAKES A TRANS LAST ALOT LONGER.. JUST MY 2 CENTS WORTH.

Good Transmissions aren't cheap and Cheap tranmissions aren't good. Tci has good stock stuff. Consider the Mickey D hamberger. It might do in a pinch but I can afford a Ribeye. Chefs dont cook quarter pounders you get my drift?

-
Back