The "Good old Days"

-
Back when "we thought 50 cents a gallon was high" LOL I can remember running 3-4 tanks of gas through the 70 RR in one weekend. Just cruisin around screwin off.

can you remember when the the first 440 6 packs showed up at your local strip in '69?
...they were fast!

I remember a gas war for 24.9 cents and knowing how to get to the gas fill tube on a 57 Chevy. tmm

I remember a gas war for 24.9 cents and knowing how to get to the gas fill tube on a 57 Chevy. tmm

Same place as a '54 Nash Ambassador, LOL Cadillac seemed to like it as well

See the finger tab on the right hand tail light?

1954%20Nash%20Ambassador%20Custom%20LeMans%20-%20rv.jpg

56 Chev

chevy-gas-cap.jpg

57 Chev

1957_chevy_bel_air_convertible_fuel_door.png

early sixties TV was all western/cowboy drama
...that's where Clint got his start Rowdy Yates?

i remember as a kid, the internet would get shut off because my sister picked up the phone

Over dads AM radio in Chitown.

SUNDAY! SUNDAY! SUNDAY! ................ US 30 Dragstrip, Where The Great Ones Runnnnnnnnnnnnn!

and the Dodge Boys commercial "The Good Guys in the White Hats"

"Beep, Beep", (Plymouth) Roadrunner commercials (cartoon) on tv.

Wow, how old are some of you guys? I am 48, I can remember sitting in a gas line, one day when my mom was taking me to school, must have been 1973.

My parents still live in their original house in Bellevue Wa, Lake Hills, my dad has pictures of it being built in 1960. For those of you who know, Bellevue and Lake Hills went pretty much from BFE to high scale after Microsoft came. Some of you live in that area. In the pictures the area that is Kmart, is still the cabbage/pea farm and the Pennell house if off in the back ground.

But, my parents must be the only ones in the neighborhood, or the city, with out cable/satellite.

I think the milk man still brings the milk in that neighborhood.

I think I am to young to remember most of the things you guys are talking about. My neighbor up the street had a really loud cool car when I was young (72-73 Cuda) And my next door neighbor has a mean, green, angry looking car (68 Fury)

When I was in my teens a guy down the street showed up with a Brubaker kit car. growing up everyone was in awe of the pushbutton trans in the 64 Dodge, and the funky dash shifter in my dads 68 A108

I remember when I started to drive, I was scared of my parents car, the 64 Dodge, cause it had too much power (305 hp 383) lol I really never got "into" cars till I was in Jr high and really started learning about different stuff. My grandfather ran a shop for 70 yrs, and my dad was a Boeing engineer, but always worked on his own stuff.

My one grand father had a 67 and 68 Buick LeSabre, and my other one I really didn't know, cause he was pretty old when I was young, he was a WW1 infantryman, but I think his car may had been a mid 60s Fairlane or Chevelle. I remember one of my aunts had a huge 68 Buick Electra 225.

hmm what else?

"Wow, how old are some of you guys?"

About the age thing, for me, lets just say when I watched "The Monkeys", "Hawaii 5-O" or "Dark Shadows" on tv, they weren't reruns or remakes! ;)

Incidentally, I live outside of Chi now in a house built in '96 (that's 1996 not 1896) and we have an antenna on the roof for the free tv. We get all the same commercials as the cable and satellite give you too! :(

Ha, we also still have milk (Oberweis) delivered to the house. Cost a LOT more now!!

having to make about 90.00 a week to pay the payment on a new 69 superbee and my living expenses

My dad always said that the good old days were not really good...think of the dentist.

Dad worked on a bank as a teller when he was 18 ...maybe 1938 ?? ..after the bank closed bet before he would balance, he used to slip over to the malt shop and get a cherry cola with three shots of caffeine.. he wasn't tired after that !

i remember as a kid, the internet would get shut off because my sister picked up the phone

If you can remember that you still ARE a kid from where "we" sit, LOL

I can remember when there WERE no (personal) computers

Modems and computers would have used "toobs"

Computers didn't HAVE built in modems

Modems used serial ports

Serial ports had DB25 connectors!!!!

There wasn't any "Windows"

There wasn't any DOS!!!!

This thing..........

kayproii.jpg

was a "laptop"

It has no hard drive, only two small capacity floppy drives

It runs something called CPM

This photo? This photo is complete bullshit. You could no more see the display outdoors than you could search for ****

Kaypro_10_Egypt_s1.jpg

Also "The Good Old Days" was going drag racing with my
Brother in his new 1969 Red Roadrunner.

Indianapolis Raceway Park back in the day

Attachments

• NewRedRoadrunner (Medium).jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 181
  • drag03 (Medium).jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 191
  • drag04 (Medium).jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 217
  • race01 (Medium).jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 184
  • drag01 (Medium).jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 223
  • dragline (Medium).jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 207
This is my friend George, the original owner of what would later become my 70 RR, a V code. He's just trophied at Lions sometime in the spring of '70 I guess the the class is "Pure Stock / D Stick"

Wish I could remember what it ran

Attachments

• _MG_6204cs.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 195
I remember 25cent gas, no one had heard of "internet", if you had a computer and it had memory it was on casset tapes, no one locked there doors, and if you did something wrong on the other side of town you could not get home before your mother found out, but if you were hurt or stuck no one failed to stop to help you out.

I used a computer my first year of University...you had to punch cards for input..

oh...and out in the sticks you couldn't get a private phne line...you were grouped into "party" lines..

If you can remember that you still ARE a kid from where "we" sit, LOL

thanks, that just made my day

if you did something wrong on the other side of town you could not get home before your mother found out.

i grew up in a town like that
i was 15 years old when i got into a hit and with my dirtbike...i beat the cops to my house by a whole 30 seconds
and it wasn't a chase either, they knew the bike and they knew where to go

Chevron super custom supreme in the WHITE pump? When Chevron had THREE pumps?

I remember party lines, oh, boy watch out if you picked up the hone and it wasn't your call, the old biddy on the other line would chew you a new one. Remember 4 or 5 tv stations, moved into town in the mid 80's and got cable, woohoo 12 channels! Remember gas stations before they were c-stores, you could get gas, oil, a pop and a candy bar that was it. I remember one gas station attendant used to give me a roll of life saver candys that were shaped like tires.

Just ran across "Reed's first shift" on ME TV, "Adam 12"

Driving a .............19 SIXTY SEVEN Plymouth Belvedere "pilot episode only" according to this:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062539/trivia

• 1: 1967 Plymouth Belvedere 383 V8 ("pilot" only)
  • 2: 1968 Plymouth Belvedere 383 V8 (season one)
  • 3: 1969 Plymouth Belvedere 383 V8 (season two)
  • 4: 1971 Plymouth Satellite 383 V8 (season three)
  • 5: 1972 and 1973 AMC Matador 401 V8 (seasons four and on)

-
Back