The Great Pumpkin - '71 Duster

-
Great update! It's come a long way. If it makes you feel any better, my '66 is going on 18 years since it last ran. I just keep reminding myself that it's the journey, not the destination.
18 years? Damn! You're a trooper.

I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel actually. It's faint but it's there. Right now I'm waiting on a new oil pump to arrive which should allow me to finish the engine. That will be a huge step. If I can get the wiring done that will also be a huge weight off my chest and I can really start putting stuff back together.

Patience, Grasshopper. Rome was not built in a day blah blah blah...

18 years? Damn! You're a trooper.

I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel actually. It's faint but it's there. Right now I'm waiting on a new oil pump to arrive which should allow me to finish the engine. That will be a huge step. If I can get the wiring done that will also be a huge weight off my chest and I can really start putting stuff back together.

Patience, Grasshopper. Rome was not built in a day blah blah blah...
Luckily I've had various other running A-bodies to have fun with while the 18-yr build has been going on. I'm looking forward to wiring my '66. That'll be the last hurdle in my build and I'm definitely taking notes from following this thread. Keep it up!! I can't wait to see yours hit the road.

Thank-you for the explanation about your hip...gonna have to look that up and see what is all involved.

Thank-you for the explanation about your hip...gonna have to look that up and see what is all involved.
To better put this in perspective, here are two images illustrating the two hip surgeries I've had.

To be clear, I completely shattered the hip. The way it happened was like when Charlie Brown goes to kick the football and Lucy pulls it away from him - he goes flying through the air horizontally and lands flat on his back. In my case, I lost concentration for a second when I saw some leaves in front of me coming down off a bowl wall. I stepped off the board awkwardly but my foot slipped on the leaves and the board shot out from under me. I was completely airborne sideways and when I came down I landed on my side with all my weight on concrete. Snap!

This pic is of the first repair from Nov. 2018. The idea behind this repair was to avoid replacement because the Dr. thought I was too young for it. (I was 48 at the time) It was actually an experimental procedure and I was one of only a handful of people in the world that had it done.

It was fine for a while but after a couple years it felt like I had pulled a muscle in the joint that wouldn't stretch out. Over time it became really uncomfortable and I was constantly aware of it - I knew there was something wrong. After limping around for almost a year, I went back to my Dr. and he confirmed the necrosis condition. The only way to fix it was replacement.

At one point I considered skipping the replacement but after watching my dad deteriorate into a limping, hunched over mess because of decades-old untreated injuries, I knew I had to get it taken care of.
hardware.jpeg

This is the replacement joint. It's basically a ball joint. The ball is ceramic, the rest of it is Cobalt. That whole inner section of the hip bone is gone now. Kinda gives me the willies to think about that.
Ball joint 1.jpg

In any event, it's pretty much a non-issue now and I can do whatever I want physically. Frankly, I haven't had much drive to skate in the last few years but that's more due to the fact I'm out of shape than anything else.

Late last week, my new 'blueprinted' HV oil pump arrived. Part of the blueprinting process is to enlarge and smooth the outlet port.

Pump outlet port.
IMG_6606.jpg

Once I had the pump in hand, it was time to open up the port on the #5 main cap. I hemmed and hawed about this because I had already torqued it down and glued the rear main tabs in place. Unfortunately, it makes no sense to have an enlarged outlet port on the pump that meets a restriction at the main cap so I swallowed my fear of introducing metal debris into the engine and went for it. Opening up the port should ensure that whatever volume the pump can provide is actually what is in the system.

This is the stock #5 main cap. The black outline is the gasket opening. Note the step right below the surface.
IMG_6605.jpg

I tried not to go nuts and make the opening too big. I mostly worked at smoothing the entry and any steps or rough parts of the passage. There was definitely some material removed from the step area as it was all bleneded smooth.
IMG_6611.jpg

Here's the finished product. The opening does not match the gasket exactly but it's a far cry from the stock opening and should improve flow. I had to fight every fiber of my being not to take the cap back off and shave down that little area on the bottom right - it's good enough! Don't worry, I cleaned the crap out of it and it's spotless.
IMG_6614.jpg

The bottom end can now go together for the final time. The pump, pickup and timing cover are on. Next I have to finish cleaning the oil pan out and set the pan gaskets in place. Oil pan gaskets are always nerve wracking for me and I strive to get them as perfect as possible to avoid leaks. I'm obviously using studs this time as well.

Note the marks on the front of the pan rail and bottom of the timing cover ears. The timing cover gasket sits a bit proud of the mating surfaces and it won't allow the pan rail gasket to sit flat. These little pieces of gasket will have to be carefully trimmed before the pan goes on.
IMG_6617.jpg

Hope to have the motor buttoned up soon. After the oil pan, the damper goes on and the top end goes together. The valvetrain has to be set up but it's mostly just aligning the rocker rollers to the valve tips. Then it gets timed, primed and most likely dynoed.

More to come.

This morning a glass guy came to my house and took out the windshield and backlight. I'm glad I didn't attempt this job myself. It would have taken hours and likely resulted in destroyed trim and broken windows. The guy had the front and rear glass out (both in one piece) within about 30 minutes. Sometimes it's best to pay a pro and get the job done right. Cool guy too as he is a long-time, winning roundy round racer.

Thankfully, the window channel and surrounding areas are in really nice shape. The outer parts of the gaskets were faded and shrunk but they were still flexible inside, it was almost a shame to cut them out. Happy to report though there was no rust, rot or any suspect repairs found underneath. It will take a bit of effort to get all the old sealant and dum dum out but it seems to come off fairly easily. Having the rear glass out will make securing and finishing the package tray panel doable rather than nearly impossible.
IMG_6628.jpg

The windshield came out just as easily as the rear glass. It appears that it had been out once before since one of the dash screws is missing. I was surprised to see that as I thought all the glass was 1971 factory installed.

I've stated previously the main reason to get the glass out was to help facilitate the dash wiring. The dash will come out easily now and the wiring can be done on the bench.
IMG_6629.jpg

Once the glass was out, I ended up removing the headliner. Back in 2016 I put it in without taking the front and rear glass out and it wasn't right. It didn't sag but it had a lot of wrinkles, some spots were tight, some were loose and overall it was a sub par job. After the glass came out I tried to pull it tight but the existing holes would have ended up in different spots. Plus, the places I cut it to stuff it under the gaskets were tearing and would have eventually gotten worse. It was basically a lost cause. IMO this job really can't be done right without pulling the glass out. So I get to do it again now but the result will be better this time. The shag carpeting stuff is sound/heat insulation from H.D.
IMG_6630.jpg

One thing to note is that the sail panels really took a beating doing the headliner since they have to come out. They also can't be fully secured in this car because the main hoop is now in the way of the front screw. Not sure how to solve that yet.

This type of interior resto stuff is tedious and adds more work/time to the project but that's what happens when you cut corners and try to fudge the install the first time. Truth be told, this car has never been this far apart. It is a bit intimidating to be at this point but there's nowhere to go but forward now.

More to come.

My son in law has a hip replacement like yours. His Doc told him he’ll need it replaced when his great grand kid finishes up his Doctor degree and residency.

Lots of rain here this weekend so I made some progress on rebuilding the 416" yesterday. After looking at the box for almost a year, I finally hung my new set of higher compression pistons on to the rods. This was a big step that I was actually kind of dreading.

Like anyone who has dealt with them, I detest Spriolox. It took me about five pistons (two locks per piston) before I was able to get them in efficiently without gouging up the inside of the wrist pin bore with the screwdriver tip. There always seems to be a point around the circumference where the lock just kind of hangs. You have to position it so it will flex and then you can work it down into the slot but it's not easy to get it there consistently, it's like a 'feel' type thing. There is nothing I could physically recognize about the process that was helpful to decrease the effort and do-overs until I realized the outside tangent of the lock had to be at a very specific angle at the same point every time. If I did this all the time I'd be better at it but once a year does not provide the muscle memory needed. It went painfully slow and I hate marring new parts but I had a method that I stuck to and eventually got it done with a minimum of destruction.

So the new slugs (Diamond 51008) are almost the same as the previous ones (Diamond 51410) but the new ones are flat tops while the previous ones were -21.5cc dish. Same compression height of 1.457". I think the flat tops might weigh a few grams more but it's probably negligible. I've spoken to several knowledgeable people and they all said there was no need to rebalance the rotating assembly which saves me a lot of hassle and money. Theoretically they should be the same zero deck as the previous ones.

I am going to transfer the existing rings from the old pistons to the flat tops. I spoke to Total Seal about it directly and they said it was fine to do that since the engine was only broken in and ran a few times on the dyno. I am very happy not to have to file new rings. This piston swap worked out pretty well!

View attachment 1716145684

I'm not quite ready to put the pistons in yet though. The block will need to be thoroughly cleaned before the crank goes back in. I may have mentioned a few posts back about needing to change the rod bearings as they were fairly scuffed up when I took it apart. Thankfully the mains seemed OK.

Not sure where all the dirt came from between building it and putting it on the dyno eight years ago but let's just say I didn't have a clean room at my old house and then it sat for a long time without being perfectly sealed up. I am using a 5 gallon bucket of real-deal parts washing solvent to clean stuff this time around. I need to be careful with it and not splash on any painted surfaces, it is nasty. When each piston and rod assembly was done they went back in the plastic shipping bags until I am ready to install them.

To be clear, the reason for swapping pistons is because I have a fancy new set of aluminum heads. Not sure if I've mentioned that here yet. I started the process of acquiring these particular parts almost exactly a year ago. Due to a lack of availability of certain parts because of supply chain issues and then waiting to get them machined properly, it took the better part of eight months for them to be finished and delivered. Honestly, they are things of beauty though and it was worth the wait. I don't know the flow numbers off hand but let's just say it's enough to make the kind of power that could push the stock block to it's limit.

Once the choice was made to go that route, it no longer made sense to stay with the dished pistons since the aluminum will tolerate a higher compression ratio. That obviously created a snowball effect - more squeeze changes the combustion dynamics so I've upgraded the cam to a 263/268 @ .050" solid roller. It never ends.

The hope is that the new combination of almost one point higher compression, the solid roller cam, larger headers and a somewhat "better" intake (Victor vs. Holley Strip Dominator, the Victor has a bigger plenum) should easily net a significant power increase over the previous combo of parts. It remains to be seen what the changes will do exactly but I'm betting there should be at least a 50-60hp gain over the previous 500hp number, maybe even more. The guy that did the heads thinks the car should be in the 10.20-10.30 1/4 mile range when all is said and done. I think I've created a bit of a monster.

More to come.
Did I miss it somewhere or did you say what the new heads are? Also is it the W heads you are taking off or was there another iteration at some point?

Did I miss it somewhere or did you say what the new heads are?
BPE.
IMG_6493.jpeg

Also is it the W heads you are taking off or was there another iteration at some point?
The BPE's are replacing my IMM CNC ported RHS/Indy-X heads.

When I bought the RHS heads back in 2013, I was against aluminum heads. It was similar to how people like to prove a point by building up a Slant 6 or 318 - sure it can be done but just doesn't make a whole lot of sense when looking at it from a cost/performance standpoint. In the end, you end up with something that's no better than an average build with a better foundation.

I have no reasonable explanation for why I held on to that idea and I've since come to believe that aluminum heads are superior. That choice did cost me time and money though since save for a few dyno runs in 2014, the heads just sat unused.

The IMM/RHS are awesome heads though. They flow just about 300cfm on the intake side and made 500hp/500lbft of torque in my 416" with a 251 @ .050" solid F.T. cam. Problem is they are HEAVY. Like, REALLY heavy. They will get used eventually so I'm going to hang onto them but that's a project for another day.

The W2s came off a long time ago, it’s been about ten years at this point. After I bought the RHS, I sold all my W2 stuff at Carlisle - heads (#810), valves, pushrods, two intakes, Harland Sharp rockers, shafts and hold downs… all of it. I made decent money but part of me regrets doing that since it would cost a small fortune to buy it all back now.

The W2s needed work though. They weren’t cracked or anything but they were old and worn. The bowls had been touched up a little but they were nowhere near their ultimate potential. I never flowed them but I have no doubt the RHS were much better. Sure, they could have been monsters had I chosen to get them worked on but at the time I just didn’t want to sink a bunch of money into them so down the road they went.

The aluminum heads I have now flow a LOT of air. The ports are works of art. Plus, they have to be 50lbs lighter than iron heads and allow for almost a point more compression. They also don't require offset rockers so I saved money transferring the rocker gear from the RHS heads. As they say, it was a win-win deal.

BPE.
View attachment 1716201382

The BPE's are replacing my IMM CNC ported RHS/Indy-X heads.

When I bought the RHS heads back in 2013, I was against aluminum heads. It was similar to how people like to prove a point by building up a Slant 6 or 318 - sure it can be done but just doesn't make a whole lot of sense when looking at it from a cost/performance standpoint. In the end, you end up with something that's no better than an average build with a better foundation.

I have no reasonable explanation for why I held on to that idea and I've since come to believe that aluminum heads are superior. That choice did cost me time and money though since save for a few dyno runs in 2014, the heads just sat unused.

The IMM/RHS are awesome heads though. They flow just about 300cfm on the intake side and made 500hp/500lbft of torque in my 416" with a 251 @ .050" solid F.T. cam. Problem is they are HEAVY. Like, REALLY heavy. They will get used eventually so I'm going to hang onto them but that's a project for another day.

The W2s came off a long time ago, it’s been about ten years at this point. After I bought the RHS, I sold all my W2 stuff at Carlisle - heads (#810), valves, pushrods, two intakes, Harland Sharp rockers, shafts and hold downs… all of it. I made decent money but part of me regrets doing that since it would cost a small fortune to buy it all back now.

The W2s needed work though. They weren’t cracked or anything but they were old and worn. The bowls had been touched up a little but they were nowhere near their ultimate potential. I never flowed them but I have no doubt the RHS were much better. Sure, they could have been monsters had I chosen to get them worked on but at the time I just didn’t want to sink a bunch of money into them so down the road they went.

The aluminum heads I have now flow a LOT of air. The ports are works of art. Plus, they have to be 50lbs lighter than iron heads and allow for almost a point more compression. They also don't require offset rockers so I saved money transferring the rocker gear from the RHS heads. As they say, it was a win-win deal.
Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. I'm trying to figure out what I am going to do with my build. I have a 318 in the can, not sure it is worth rebuilding it or jumping right to a new hemi for cheaper for the same power output. There is a lot of extras you need to run the new hemi in an a-body but I'm basically starting over with my build currently. It would be fun to have an all iron stock painted engine that is actually a monster but there is a lot of concessions you have to make.

Those intake ports are pieces of art. Looks like it will be a lot of fun when you get it going.

-
Back