The snow levels in SoCal

-

/sixchall

Reaction score
Have some pics of snow here in SoCal which is really unusual for us. I am surrounded by the Coast Range mountains but the snow level on them haven’t been at the snow drop they are at this time. One pic is of one of the Air Force planes out at March AFB which is just a few miles from me another is Riverside National Cemetary which again is not far from me where my parents are interred and will most likely be mine and my wife’s resting place both pics have Mt. San Jacinto at 10K ft. In back drop. With snow level dropped to its lowest point. The third pic is in the LA area you may recognize it. Enjoy, Thanks, Al

0AACB8F1-7904-462D-8D2B-FDFEE9C6BDDD.png

773E4CB4-E67B-405E-AE16-E2250480C82E.png

66B6B41F-4188-4455-A845-66B91B6D4DD2.png

the snow level is way way down. the last pic there is basically what i can see from my back yard, about a 10min drive. it's crazy cold for this area, and not only is the snow unusual but it sticking around is almost unheard of.

it's gonna be cold in the shop the next few days...

From what I just saw on The Weather Channel, that warm rain on top of that snow pack is making the Kern River crazy floody. Lake Isabella should be calming it for the time being. Upstream from Kernville looks like a righteous mess.

NAS Miramar, San Diego, 70-74. Don't remember ANYTHING like that back then

Thanks for your replies guys, seriously this is really nutsy weather here and I’ve been here since I was quite young. For those of you who do live here in the area you know exactly what I’m talking about. Cold! We’ll yea, for here, remember this is SoCal favorable weather all year round. But probably not as cold as the forum members from the middle and eastern USA. Glad you liked ‘em had to share. Thanks, Al

Boot camp 1969 San D Eggo had a heavy frost. All the California's in the company thought it had snowed.
Hi Richard!! I would have been furiously going to Navy ET-A school at TI by then. Now the winter, 68-9 was a corker "up here" my folks sent me photos of snow up to the tops of the fence posts. At some point they ran a dozer through downtown to clear a path (it was the highway back then) and wx in San Fran was kinda bad, too. I did not realize til later. They had all sorts of rain, flood, mudslides, for all I knew then, it was just "regular weather"

I got to Miramar in late May of 70. It was POURING rain that night and next morning, and cleared up and I don't think it rained for a year and half. AFTER I left, (74--77?) at some point they had floods there, and I saw news photos of car dealers along the I-8 frontage with water halfway up the building. That of course was the ditch they call the San Diego River

I found this re: '78 so that may be the one I was thinking of

My electrical engineering friend, who actually was born up here, in Bonners Ferry, ID, grew up in San Diego. (Paradise Valley.) He always had derisive things to say about what went on and was allowed to go on in the I-8 corridor, namely, "you build stuff in a dry river bed and then seem surprised when it gets wet."

Last edited:
Hi Richard!! I would have been furiously going to Navy ET-A school at TI by then. Now the winter, 68-9 was a corker "up here" my folks sent me photos of snow up to the tops of the fence posts. At some point they ran a dozer through downtown to clear a path (it was the highway back then) and wx in San Fran was kinda bad, too. I did not realize til later. They had all sorts of rain, flood, mudslides, for all I knew then, it was just "regular weather"

I got to Miramar in late May of 70. It was POURING rain that night and next morning, and cleared up and I don't think it rained for a year and half. AFTER I left, (74--77?) at some point they had floods there, and I saw news photos of car dealers along the I-8 frontage with water halfway up the building. That of course was the ditch they call the San Diego River

I found this re: '78 so that may be the one I was thinking of

My electrical engineering friend, who actually was born up here, in Bonners Ferry, ID, grew up in San Diego. (Paradise Valley.) He always had derisive things to say about what went on and was allowed to go on in the I-8 corridor, namely, "you build stuff in a dry river bed and then seem surprised when it gets wet."

January 69 after boot camp I was station N.A.D . Banger ammunition depot outside of Bremerton. That winter it snowed about a foot and a half there. Unusual for around that area , same time you were down there. The whole West coast was probably like that , just like this year up and down the West coast.

HA HA!!!!! I'm an hour south of Chicago, I have 3 snowblowers and have had them ready all winter, never started any once they came out of storage for the season last fall ...... And actually just acquired a 4th one from a neighbor last weekend that I didn't really need. I'm getting anxious for Harley weather and mowing weather
Should be mowing again by around tax day, give or take a week.
Our problem is everything is so soggy, rivers by me are teetering on overflowing.....

-
Back