TheJohnnyGuy's 71 Scamp Apartment Resto.

-
Here's my rear, haha... and you can see where the pipes end right in front of the gas tank... it's different but I kinda like it...

Attachments

• rear.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 400
better pray the tank does not leak with the exaust ending there

No kidding!!! Isnt the sending unit just right above the passenger side pipe there?

KABLOOOOEY!

If you dont get a full, to the rear bumper system, I would make them exit in front of the rear wheels, or dump them down.

:spiderma:

No kidding!!! Isnt the sending unit just right above the passenger side pipe there?

KABLOOOOEY!

If you dont get a full, to the rear bumper system, I would make them exit in front of the rear wheels, or dump them down.

:spiderma:

I'm thinking about in front of the rear wheels... but I would have to see how much I would spend doing this... Budget seems to get tighter the more I spend :p

Engine bay and engine have been cleaned up and made nice. Gaskets have been replaced, everything inside looks to be in great shape. New brake pads, and bleeders and hoses for the front end, Calipers look to be in good shape as far as the cylinders and seals. Rotors will stay as is for now, if in the futureI need to replace then I will do so. Now I'm finishing up the dash and front seat, after that I gotta go get my rear end from a FABO member, then just body work and paint job! I's coming along quite nicely!!! I will be sooo happy to get my Scamp back on the road!! As far as the concern for the exhaust vs. gas tank goes I looked at it and I think it will be fine, it has a down-turn and each tip is over a foot from the tank. I think i'll be aight. :toothy10:

Attachments

• Engine2.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 390
  • Engine1.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 375
  • Engine3.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 368
Engine bay and engine have been cleaned up and made nice. Gaskets have been replaced, everything inside looks to be in great shape. New brake pads, and bleeders and hoses for the front end, Calipers look to be in good shape as far as the cylinders and seals. Rotors will stay as is for now, if in the futureI need to replace then I will do so. Now I'm finishing up the dash and front seat, after that I gotta go get my rear end from a FABO member, then just body work and paint job! I's coming along quite nicely!!! I will be sooo happy to get my Scamp back on the road!! As far as the concern for the exhaust vs. gas tank goes I looked at it and I think it will be fine, it has a down-turn and each tip is over a foot from the tank. I think i'll be aight. :toothy10:

Another caveate about having exhaust dump before the rear of the vehicle is tha exhaust fumes can enter the body of the car. If you have rust holes in the trunk or floor pan you will get gassed.

Another caveate about having exhaust dump before the rear of the vehicle is tha exhaust fumes can enter the body of the car. If you have rust holes in the trunk or floor pan you will get gassed.

I have thought about that... Floorpan is solid, trunk is not-so-much... I'll have to patch some holes and see if I get fumes, if not then i'll be happy, if so then time to re-plan exhaust... :/

Wow, is it bad that it took me this long to see that I put 71 Scamp instead of 72 Scamp?? ooops... :p Merry Christmas to all!!! Not much work done this week for obvious reasons... Stay Tuned!!!

Comin right along there Johnny. You're jumpin right in and gettin your feet wet. That's the only way to learn, instead of scratchin your head and wonderin. Way to go. I might add to that if I were you, I would clean all those wires off (a mild cleaner like Simple Green) and reharness them with some good heavy duty electrical tape. Not only will it make it look much neater, but it will also help keep the wires from rubbing on somethin and possibly causin a fire. That would suck. Lastly, in most states, the exhaust must be run past the passenger compartment. In other words, out the back or the side. Dumped at the rear axle ain't just illegal, it's dangerous. That can fill the passenger compartment with carbon monoxide. And that's somethin else that would suck.

Comin right along there Johnny. You're jumpin right in and gettin your feet wet. That's the only way to learn, instead of scratchin your head and wonderin. Way to go. I might add to that if I were you, I would clean all those wires off (a mild cleaner like Simple Green) and reharness them with some good heavy duty electrical tape. Not only will it make it look much neater, but it will also help keep the wires from rubbing on somethin and possibly causin a fire. That would suck.

Thanks a bunch, I will make sure I do that. Gotta admit I wouldn't be doin half as much without FABO help. :D

Good looking build, keep at it.
One thing about exhaust fumes is you can't smell carbon monoxide.
Before you drive it much throw a couple of tail pipes on it.

Good looking build, keep at it.
One thing about exhaust fumes is you can't smell carbon monoxide.
Before you drive it much throw a couple of tail pipes on it.

x2, fumes can get sucked though the windows if the exhaust isn't as far back as possible.

Yeah and another benefit is that most mild to moderate street cars respond from tailpipes on the low end. I've seen people hack tailpipes off thinkin it was cool only to wonder what happened to their bottom end torque. lol

Yeah and another benefit is that most mild to moderate street cars respond from tailpipes on the low end. I've seen people hack tailpipes off thinkin it was cool only to wonder what happened to their bottom end torque. lol

Ok, well i'm convinced, I will run the pipes back. Since it's not too far to go it should be cheap right? Never done anything like this before. Can I just get the pipes from Advance Auto and clamp them on?

Updates pics!! Here lately my arms been to tired from sanding to take any news pics... But here we go!
awaiting the 8 3/4 read I go pick up next week, Been doing a LOT of sanding, instead of sanding it all down I sand sections, then paint over the bare metal and sanded rusts spots with POR-15 (which is awesome) once thats cured If I need to apply filler I do then primer. Of course this is always followed by more sanding, primering, and sanding, and primering... *sigh* Have to smooth out the vinyl on my DIY dash, it's not gonna be perfect but for the budget and time IDC it works for me. Also waiting on the install kit for my woodgrain grant steering wheel. Thet should liven the inside up a bit. Gotta get more flat black vinyl dye for the rest of the interior I tore apart, including the headliner which is in pretty good shape considering it's age...

Attachments

• Scampupdates7.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 279
  • Scampupdates6.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 270
  • Scampupdates5.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 271
  • Scampupdates4.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 289
  • Scampupdates3.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 289
  • Scampupdates2.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 282
  • Scampupdates1.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 282
I can't wait til I get my wheels and tires back on so I can take this thing down to the car wash here at the apartment complex... it's so... dirty... :p

Got my rear!!! looking around to see if I've got shock plates and U-bolts for it though. It's a 741 case Suregrip rear, Not a bad deal for $200... Gotta move the leaf perches a little bit, and clean her up. Took everything I had to pick this beast up and set it up where I can reach better... Feel like i'm getting old...

Attachments

• rear1.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 346
  • rear2.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 355
  • rear3.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 349
  • rear4.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 342
Hey 68dodge,

Where did you get the chin spoiler? That looks awesome! I think I'd like to add to that to my '73.

Looking good,guess im missing something.Why move the perches?Not a body?

Looking good,guess im missing something.Why move the perches?Not a body?

It's a late 60's B body rear, I think there's a 1/2 inch difference on the perches, Some say that it's ok to bow the leaf springs out that 1/2" and it won't hurt, others say it will bind.

Where did you find the rear so cheep? I cant find one under 2k.
I actually found this rear on craigslist. The guy selling it is a total Ford guy and had it listed as a PLYMOUTH SURELOCK. I guess he didn't know the value. This thing is tight though, in great shape for it's age. He said it's been sitting in a building since 1972.

-
Back