Those wheel ramp things for raising a car

-
weve got a set of steel ramps with the circles in it like pictured above and those have lasted forever with no problem as long as they are used responsibly and properly theyve held my jeep duster my dads charger saturn durango and have never let us down or shown a sign of being un safe

I just looked at my Rhino ramps and they are the 12000 lb labeled ones, they have the honeycomb bottom meaning there is no voids larger than bout 2" under there.

I bought a set from Sears around '80. At the time they did what I needed. I was always wary of using them. Most times I ended up jacking one wheel up at a time and placing the ramps under rather than driving onto. I would back off them though.
I don't like the short area for the tire to stop, the potential for the ramps to slide when driving on, the size of the strut supports, and the fact they didn't weld the bottom area along that 90° fold.
Lol, other than that, they've been just fine!

Attachments

• Ramp1.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 228
  • Ramp2b.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 230
I bought a set from Sears around '80. At the time they did what I needed. I was always wary of using them. Most times I ended up jacking one wheel up at a time and placing the ramps under rather than driving onto. I would back off them though.
I don't like the short area for the tire to stop, the potential for the ramps to slide when driving on, the size of the strut supports, and the fact they didn't weld the bottom area along that 90° fold.
Lol, other than that, they've been just fine!

I have the same set from the 80's as well, only in red. Never was able to drive up them. Darn things would slide away from the wheels. Like Daves69, I'd jack up one wheel at a time. Still have them and use them on occasion, but being paranoid I always throw a set of jack stands under there for good measure :D

I have an old set of ramps from the 80`s that have detachable ramps. They have worked gret but the newer cars with rubber bumpers sit to low to use them.

I just looked at my Rhino ramps and they are the 12000 lb labeled ones, they have the honeycomb bottom meaning there is no voids larger than bout 2" under there.

That sounds more legit maybe I'll check those out. The lighter duty ones shown earlier don't look beefy enough to make me comfortable using them.

Daves69 having to jack one wheel up at a time kinda defeats the purpose if I had to do that I'd just put it on stands in the first place. You might try putting some kind of sticky rubber-like material on the bottom of the stands to hold them in place on the ground. Also that part you pointed out not having welds, it really doesn't affect the strength of the ramps anyway all the force comes down the vertical sections to the ground. As long as it doesn't bow out to the sides when you put weight on it it's fine.

I have been thinking about buying a set of ramps. It would make life much easier as I get older, and a lift would be nice but it's not in the cards right now. Can anyone recommend a brand or model that is well-designed and safe?

I think it's worth it for what you are getting. Not quite my style though, I looked around on the site and found these:

truck-service-ramps__1.jpg

9000-lb capacity!

Daves69 having to jack one wheel up at a time kinda defeats the purpose if I had to do that I'd just put it on stands in the first place. You might try putting some kind of sticky rubber-like material on the bottom of the stands to hold them in place on the ground. Also that part you pointed out not having welds, it really doesn't affect the strength of the ramps anyway all the force comes down the vertical sections to the ground. As long as it doesn't bow out to the sides when you put weight on it it's fine.

Thanks for the suggestions MOPEkidD. In response to the OP's concern is why I commented. Realize I mean no offense here. We all have our preferences and concerns when lifting vehicles. For instance, in my truck, I have an aluminum floor jack along with the standard scissor jack that many are just fine with.

However, I feel we can agree to disagree on a couple points concerning the ramps. I disagree as far as "defeating the purpose" as I can achieve the desired result and I feel safer doing it this way with these ramps. I also disagree as you cannot place a jack stand under the tire to achieve the desired result and thus allow the vehicle to roll off. As far as the weld goes, I feel welded corners and maybe even a gusset for added support is not a bad thing. Overkill....?? Maybe. Over safe....?? Preference.

Thanks for the suggestions MOPEkidD. In response to the OP's concern is why I commented. Realize I mean no offense here. We all have our preferences and concerns when lifting vehicles. For instance, in my truck, I have an aluminum floor jack along with the standard scissor jack that many are just fine with.

However, I feel we can agree to disagree on a couple points concerning the ramps. I disagree as far as "defeating the purpose" as I can achieve the desired result and I feel safer doing it this way with these ramps. I also disagree as you cannot place a jack stand under the tire to achieve the desired result and thus allow the vehicle to roll off. As far as the weld goes, I feel welded corners and maybe even a gusset for added support is not a bad thing. Overkill....?? Maybe. Over safe....?? Preference.

No offense taken I just think out loud a lot, sometimes too much lol. I'm just curious what the difference is between jacking up the car and putting ramps under the wheels, and jacking up the car and putting stands under the frame? Other than being able to back the car off the ramps when done, I suppose that does save a bit of time. No offense meant either I know I'm nitpicking at this point. I agree no such thing as "overkill" when it comes to safety, and a gusset would do a lot more than just a weld.

-
Back