Thread for the "misfits"

-

TheCraigMachine

Reaction score
I origially posted this in the general discussions. I felt that this belongs here as well.

This is a litte soapbox of mine that has really been getting turned over quite a bit lately. There's a fierce debate going on as we speak over at the small block tech about this very subject. Here http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/...d.php?t=205755

Years ago, I cut my teeth working on mopars. Some slant sixes, but mostly on the venerable 318 mill. I've kinda developed a fondness for the little teens. They just have a different "hum" than most other engines.

Ive got a few friends who are car guys. One is a die hard chevy man. Another is a ford and AMC nut. Out of these two, believe it or not, the one who agrees with me more on this subject is the chevy guy! Let me explain.

I have several different vehicles that I consider "project cars", most mopars, some different makes. I have a 73 Challenger that was my first car that i swapped a 5.9 magnum into, including the serpentine accessory drive. I have a 66 imperial Crown that I saved from the crusher. It has a 440 that I built and runs really well for a huge car. I have my grandfathers 84 Buick park avenue with a 307 olds under the hood. This car is all original with 80k original miles and is in mint condition. My grandfather used to call this his "big fine car". I have a 79 Cadillac coupe deville with a 425 that i bought from the police auction just for giggles. This car no longer runs. I have two Plymouth valiants. One a 66 4 door with a 170/3 on the tree, the other a 65 2 door post car with a transplanted 318 from my challenger. Each one of these cars has a totally different character, a different feeling, and a different sound. Its what makes them unique in thier own ways. The 65 valiant, however, is the car that is the basis for this discussion here.

This particular car has only been on the road about a month since the engine swap took place. Its taken me years to get it to that point. I put new heads, cam, and intake on the original shortblock, which was apparently not the right thing to do; I blew a main and lost oil pressure.

Im now being faced with a rebuild one way or another. Ive always wanted to build a roller cam 318 that will rev easily and make SMOOTH power and have respectable fuel economy for the power. I already HAVE two different roller 318's as well as a nice comp roller cam that i had bought for the magnum powered challenger, but never installed.

Heres where the debate comes into play: My Ford/AMC buddy is giving me a bunch of flack about wanting to build a 318. He keeps telling me that he would "never build a 318 when a 360 is the same size and weight". He seems to think that the 318 engine itself is just a stupid concept, and cannnot wrap his mind around why it even still exists, much less why anyone would build an engine that was only "300" cubic inches. I throw out the usual "well what about the 302 ford?" But before i can even finish my sentence, he pipes up and says "Oh, theres NO comparison between a 302 and a 318!" I dont know about you guys, but most STOCK 302s ive driven were complete and total DOGS! So yeah, Id say that there is NO comparison there.

My Chevrolet buddy has been itching to build a 307 for as long as ive known him. He likes the big bore/short stroke combination of the engine, although it suffers the same caveats as the 318: low compression, poor induction, and a sausage for a camshaft. This guy can see the potential in the basic shortblock with its superior rod/stroke ratio and its ability to wind up easier. Just get some air into the thing and itll come alive. The 318 and the 307 chevy have very similar specs in this respect, and he sees the potential in the combination. He says "Go for it, and Ill build a 307 and see what we can get out of them". He likes to say that any chimp with a summit catalog can build a 350 to run 12's. Not everybody can do that with a 307.

Now I know the 360 is truly the superior small block mopar street engine. Its 4" bore and longer 3.58" stroke allow it to reach its torque peak earlier in the RPM range, with an overall higer potential torque output. But its because of that longer stroke that it makes a different sound when you wind it up. To me, the 360 sounds a lot like a 350 chevy. The bore and stroke on both of these engines are very similar, and both have siamesed exhaust ports.

The short stroke LAs on the other hand, kind of have a rythmic "hum" to them instead of a "BWWAAAHHHHGGGHHH" that the 360 has when you wind them up. It just seems alot smoother to me, and i like that.

Now we all know here what it takes to make serious power out of a 318, its been talked to death here. But it seems that everytime someone starts talking about building a 318 (or 273 for that matter), the "just go get a 360" guys start running in like dogs in heat and overrun the original topic at hand. The same thing happens at the big block camp anytime somebody so much as whispers 383, and the 440 guys start barging in.

I want to build a 318 because its what I want for my car!!! If I wanted to build a rocketship, Id use a 360, or build a stroker. But thats not the direction that i want to take this particular project.

This hobby is supposed to be fun people. It doesnt have to be monkey see, monkey do. Not everybody wants a fire breathing 440 in their 64 dart. Its all about making the car "yours". Its all about what YOU want to be able to do with it.

End of rant.

This hobby is supposed to be fun people. It doesnt have to be monkey see, monkey do.
This is very true .A while ago someone on here made the statement that when ever he sees a Mopar with a SBC in it he thinks it is because the owner ran out of creativity. I think it is the exact opposite. What is so creative about having the a motor in the car that it came from the factory with? I understand that some people are just diehards. But at the same time how many folks on this site have a 4" stroke small block with a set of Edelbrock (or Magnum, x or j) heads with a air gap intake etc.? What is so "creative" about any of them? What because they used a Lunati cam instead of a Comp?

whats all the rant about? 318's are idiot proof...you can drive em like granma and actually get some fuel mileage or tromp on them till they run out of valve springs and eat 302's and 305's and even some 350's with em

I couldn't agree with you more, so build your 318 and make it a personal challenge to stay with the original cubic inch's of the motor and see how well you can make it run. I built a 318 years ago ( nothing exotic) using pretty much all factory peices,( 340 heads, etc.) and it ran pretty dam good......mid 12's in a duster

why do you give a **** what any one thinks you should or shouldnt do? who cares man, build what you want. better yet , build a little of each

If your buddie with the amc starts talkin jibberish about buildin a 258 straight six don't git in a pissin match with him them things will haul the groceries...just sayin

I feel your pain. I'm currently beating my head against the wall :banghead: trying to put together a 318 roller block with 302 casting heads and a 360 crank. I've been waiting almost a week for a cam recommendation from Comp Cams. What is so difficult about that? Why did I decide to do it this way? Got the crank and rods from a member here for $100. Got the complete 318 (roller cam, 302 heads) from a local yard for $99.95. Found a set of new cast pistons on eBay that will work for $75. In it for $274.95 and I would be hard pressed to find a rebuildable belly button for that. When I'm done I'll have a 354 that I can legitimately say is a 318 and I should be able to do it for around 2K including the powder coating. Best part is, I seriously doubt I'll run across very many of them out there. It's unique. I've owned a bunch of 318's and I think they are the best engine MaMopar ever produced. They were all I ever needed to outrun a 350 Chevy.

Your rant was a bassis for my 318 on the cheap thread I started a good long while ago. The go bigger thought pattern is reoccurring one constantly echoed by most with good reason but not always the right answer. Or helpful. I did think that we were here to be helpful.

My 318 on the cheap Duster thread was cut short.

If you ask my opinion on what engine to use. I'll state it and reasons as well sometimes.

If you want help with a specific engine, then that is what you'll get.

I've received the the same chitt about why I keep building my slant 6's ! When I finished /6 #2,I brought it to Don Garlits show that November and got the same question.My response was,there are 3-400 MOPARS right here,show me 1 more that looks like mine !! Wasn't happening !! Besides,I,like you have taken a liking to the slant 6's and love being DIFFERENT !!!

OH! And as per Wagg's first reply there, DARE your doubting Ford fairy to build a 302 and have at it vs. you and vs. your 307 Olds builder. Set up some basic rules. Cash saving kinds minus the roller cam you want to run and have.

Things like stock iron heads and valves, unported on a non stroker short block.
(Well, you could give that break to the Olds and still trounce him!)
No over driven tannys.

i thought he was talking about a 307 chevy,whitch i would never build.thats a 283 block and 327 crank .not big bore short stroke.teeners are much more receptive to hot rodding.

360s are killer engines. If you are in the build process and already have a 318, it makes more sense it build it. It is also more cost effective over having to buy a 360. They can build good power...I just wished that 318 pistons were in the same price range as 360 pistons...

I just put a steeper gear in the back when building the "smaller" engines...

I love the heck outa 318's. I think they are an absolutely awesome engine, much better than any ford 302 or chevy 307. 318's are easy to get power from, albeit, you should change out pistons to get a 10:1 cr, port the original heads, or get some better flowing units like the RHS, and throw on an air gap or the like manifold. Put a hot cam, roller rockers and a set of headers and your there! Ya, ya gotta spend a little bit for those items, but IMO its well worth it. i am really pleased with my 318 it surprises many people, revs to the moon and sounds friggin awesome!!

so, build your lil teen and ENJOY spankin azz!

I had a '77 D200 with a 318 that was EVIL!!!!!!!! And it was a 4 door! Long-bed at that! Fast as all hell!:burnout:

#!8's do just fine,thank you!.Add cam timing,cfm, and compression,375 to 400 hp.Had a buddy who liked 307 Chevys. All I can say,"woof,woof woof."

As long as your gonna run the right stall and gear theres no reason a 318 can't be as fast as 340/360, 318 just gonna make peak power 300-500rpm higher. The bore size would be a limiting factor in an all out race engine. I find it funny on this site most will say don't mess with anything less than 360 cause there's no replacement for displacement but asked should you go 360 or 440 most would stay SB. To me if your 318 can meet your power requirements within the powerband you want and willing to gear it properly, those should be the deciding factors.

If you work the smaller intake valve,273 intake port.Easily run run low 13,s@ 103.Stockie stuff,other than gear.I look at those ports today,and still shake my head.......

This is a hobby and ones expression of their own tastes. Build what YOU want and tell everyone else that doesn't like it that unless they are going to bank roll the project. STFU !!! lol

why do you give a **** what any one thinks you should or shouldnt do? who cares man, build what you want. better yet , build a little of each

what he said Xs a million

The good thing about Mopar is there is no such thing as a bad engine produced by Chrysler Corp. during the 60s and 70s

only you know which one you fancy and only you know your budget.

its no wonder 318 s are very common and were put in almost everything for a time....a big company like chrysler did not put their name on junk in the old days (now im not so sure) but thats why the 318 was so broadly used bcoz it was dang good.

Rani,why past tense? More out there,waiting to be plucked.....

Coudltn have said it better... Why get your blood pressure up over it? Just do what you want, realize everybody's got an opinon and move on...lol.

Someone once told me, "unless you have the BEST, you will always want BETTER." Well, I can't afford a fully blown 426 Hemi, so I'm going to be perfectly content with what little I have. After all, it's about having fun.

Yes I was referring to the Chevy 307. The Olds 307 is a whole different slug. In fact, the Olds motor probably runs better than the Chevy version! Either way, I'm sure in a head to head race, my little teen will have that 307 by the short n curlys!

A friend of mine called me a few years back - questions with setting up a nitrous system for his boss. The car is a late 80s 4dr Pontiac with an olds 307 4bbl in it. You wouldnt think of it running well, but on the bottle it's a riot...lol.

-
Back