ticking like sound

-

SRT_DSTRHOLC

Reaction score
So I fired up the motor with the new heads and cam. As soon as we started the motor we got a ticking noise on the drivers side. Sounded like a rocker, but we shut it off and re adjusted everything, then re primed it and it still did it, so We broke the cam in. We figured if it was the cam going bad it would only get worse not better. So we broke the cam in and had a constant 60-55 psi of oil and the water temp stayed under 190 the whole time. We did however tighten the exhaust bolts a little and it did go away a tad, but we cant tighten them anymore and its still there.. This sound is only coming from one side and when using a long piece of wood to listen to the rockers, they all sound the same on all sides. Keep in mind this is a solid tappet cam. Im not totally sure what it can be, Im hoping just an exhaust leak or something. its a 360 with a comp 306s magnum cam

It probably is a leak at the headers and not a rocker arm/lifter issue. Since you said the sound abated some when you tightened the header bolts I would pursue that first. You can go with another gasket or try doubling up gaskets. I can say from experience, some of those Comp Cam grinds are extremely noisy especially if it`s a solid cam.

if you tightened the exhaust bolts and it "went away a tad", I would be inclined to look there, maybe a port mismatch? What are you running for exhaust? headers or manifolds?

they are headers..with percey fiber gaskets.. there nice gaskets...

is there a way to temp fix it to tell if it is an exhaust leak, like a sealant or putty?

They do sell exhaust sealer at Autozone but I don't know how well it works. The problem may be a port mismatch. Did you check things out before you assembled it to make sure it aligned right?

ughhh no haha, the other side isnt leaking only this side..it sounds like a dirt bike puffing...so im going to replace the exhaust gasket with some fel-pros then some percey crush fits later or maybe just crush fits

I had good luck with the old Fel-pro's I had on my car at first but I had it apart 4 times and they were getting worn out. I bet they would have still sealed better than the Percy's I have on there now.

another question i have, I dont have collector gaskets connecting to the header extensions...could this make the ticking sound? because it sounds like the sound is coming from the valve cover and not under the car when i peak underneath... and would you recommend the fel pros or go straight the Percy crush Alum?

are there more than one type of percys ? i bought the deadsoft and would hate to think i wasted my money.

another question i have, I dont have collector gaskets connecting to the header extensions...could this make the ticking sound? because it sounds like the sound is coming from the valve cover and not under the car when i peak underneath... and would you recommend the fel pros or go straight the Percy crush Alum?

No collector gaskets can make noise and noise can echo around and be hard to tell where it's coming from sometimes. Sounds like you might have 2 leaking areas from your description.

It seems to be hit and miss on what gaskets to use. As I said above I had good luck with Fel-pro's and the Percy's leaked on mine but then Dustbuster says the Percy's work for him. Go figure??

I've heard the high temp rtv works, just haven't tried it. I have used copper coat spray on forklifts yrs. ago when I worked on them for Hyster. It worked ok but they ran so hot nothing would hold forever. If you use it you need to put at least 2 layers on cause it's not very thick if you just apply one layer. I usually put 3 layers on and that seemed to work pretty good.

74 I've never heard a bad word about Remflex gaskets. Let us know how they work out.

What headers do you have? Many less expensive brands will bend in the center between the #4-6 and #3-5 ports. I always file a little off the outer edges so the "hi spot" is the center and be careful to not overtighten them. It sounds to me like a header leak. I like the Mr Gaslet Ultra-seals.

-
Back