Time For a rebuild

-
Turn that seat around and your golden. Your project is looking good..

10 Free pieces of (worth what you paid for it) baby advice:

1. Get a car seat for EVERY car you regularly drive, moving the seats around is a major PIA.

2. Learn to put the car seat in the car, first time takes a while and is a major PIA, by kid number two, you can do it in about 5 minutes. Buy one of these for each car seat, they make putting the seat in and out of the car a lot easier. I found these when I had kid number two, I really wish I had them from the beginning.

http://www.target.com/p/diono-carse...1&CPNG=baby&ci_sku=13957931&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw=

3. Get as much sleep as you can now, because the first three months with a baby can be BRUTAL. The Chinese call the first 100 days, a hundred days of crying. They are referring to the baby, but your wife will periodically join in the crying fest. Post partum depression is REAL, watch for it, don't be afraid to get your wife some help if you have to.

4. Work on the car as much as possible over the next three weeks. Once the kid arrives you won't have any free time for a while.

5. Baby proof the house now, that kid will be crawling in the blink of an eye. It's a cliche but they grow SO FAST.

6. If you need a baby gate, buy ones that screw to the wall, the ones that simply use friction or compression to stay in place don't work very well. If your thinking to yourself, "Hey, I don't want to screw up the paint in my house." Sorry, but within a year, you're going to have a paint destroying, jelly fingered, rug rat dragging there grubby little mits down your freshly painted walls. So what's a few screw holes to fill.

7. If you bottle feed the kid pick a brand of bottles and stick with it, mix and match make filling a bottle a pain in the butt at 3 AM. (FYI, there are titty nazis out there that may make your wife feel like crud for not breast feeding, your job is to be supportive no matter what she decides to do. So if she gets some grief for not breast feeding, be supportive.)

8. You'll get a ton of free advice (like the crap I'm spewing) be prepared to ignore it. Your mother, her mother will say stuff like, "We let you sleep on your stomach and you didn't die...." Smile and nod and then do what you know to be right. By the way the kid should sleep on their back, once they get to six month old they may flip themselves on their stomach and that's okay. They are now old enough to flip themselves over.

9. Dogs will think the new baby is a new puppy, you may see some jealousy. Be ready. The pack simply got bigger, most dogs will adjust pretty quickly and will welcome this ear pulling, tail pulling, little guy into the pack.

10. You might get a golden period when the kid is 3 months to 9 months old where they will sit quietly in a carrier while you and your wife dine out. Once the kid reaches a year dining out can be a painful, nerve racking experience. My kids are pretty well behaved (knocks on wood) but even at the ages of 10 and 7 dining out can be difficult. Picking appropriate restaurants is a key to successful dining. For example, the local hot spot where you have to wait 45 minutes for a table? Out. The local diner where they have crayons and coloring books for the kids, or better yet kids eat free? In.

I love my kids by the way, being a dad is the most humbling and awesome experience.

By the way, the project is coming along beautifully, hopefully your progress won't grind to a halt. Love the look of the car.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

X2!!
I just want to add one thing....you will find yourself broke more often than not and it's cause of wasting money on your car......kids are big bucks!!! And yeah, they are worth every penny!!!!

Thanks guys, have a few weeks till the little one arrives so I am having a marathon car build when ever I can. I finished the dak last night and plan to start the wiring tonight. All the advise on the little one is greatly appreciated.

Trevor

Got some work done on the car this weekend in between cutting grass and yard work , a bbq with friends a, taking a load to the dump and taking in the bottles to the bottle depot. The car had a lot of little bolt holes drilled in the floor so I put my little welder to work and filled them. First time actually welding something that counts, up until this point I have been just practicing and learning. I had a few I had to redo as the holes would reappear when I ground them down. I have a few more to do on the trans tunnel, the trans is in the car for mock up and did not want to damage it so will fill those holes when its removed. Then today I started to lay out the ISIS wiring system.

Attachments

• IMG_0272.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 745
  • IMG_0260.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 720
  • IMG_0262.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 725
  • IMG_0265.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 711
  • IMG_0266.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 739
  • IMG_0269.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 715
  • IMG_0271.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 732
Well it been a while since I have posted anything on the car. Have not had alot of time to work on the car the last few weeks as its been busy at work and life in general. Well this weekend has some time to get some work done, removed the engine and trans so I could weld up the holes in the trans tunnel, got that done and ground down, primed and painted. Here is a before and some afters.

Trevor

Attachments

• IMG_0296.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 746
  • IMG_0295.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 752
  • IMG_0294.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 745
  • IMG_0293.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 736
  • IMG_0292.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 732
  • IMG_0291.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 740
  • IMG_0290.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 735
  • IMG_0289.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 746
  • IMG_0288.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 741
  • IMG_0947.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 748
So when I put the engine in and tried to see how the steering column fit it hit the cyl head. Was hoping I could get away with not trimming the column housing but looks like I didn't have a choice. I did know I wanted to paint it as it was purple and nothing else was. Removed the steering wheel, pulled apart the column and went to work. I am happy with how it looks now.

Attachments

• IMG_0321.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 733
  • IMG_0322.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 739
  • IMG_0324.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 732
  • IMG_0326.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 717
Have not had time to work on the car as my wife and I have been very busy with the birth of our baby boy. He was born on aug 30, I am starting to get use to cold supper and warm beer haha. I did manage to sneak out sat night and get a piece welded into the dash to close up the hole so I can fit in my switch panel. Then today I was able to start on the brake lines. I started with the front as it was the hardest line to do.

Attachments

• IMG_0367.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 727
  • IMG_0368.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 722
  • IMG_0366.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 702
  • IMG_0365.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 714
  • IMG_0364.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 710
  • IMG_0361.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 711
  • IMG_0358.JPG
    199.3 KB · Views: 723
Cute kid, must look like his mother? ;)

I thought the build thread would slow down once the kid came. Glad to see your sneaking in a bit of time here and there. That's a key to keeping your sanity.

Best of luck, try to sneak out when you can.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Had some shiny parts come in the mail today. The plan is to finish the brake line and button up the front end, wiring and install the new goodies.

Attachments

• IMG_0389.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 695
  • IMG_0384.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 687
  • IMG_0382.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 692
  • IMG_0383.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 677
Wow, nice car ****. Guess you're going to put off saving for college? ;)

That throttle body is beautiful. FAST makes some nice looking parts, can't wait to see it come together.

Keep pluggin' away.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

I was able to get the rest of the brake lines done, and bled the brakes this weekend. I was able the align the rack and attach the steering. Car needed to be rolling for the first weekend in oct as I am insulating the garage. I need to put on the front tires and steering wheel and its ready to be mobile ( by pushing) haha. No pics at this time but I will post soon.

I have that same FAST set up for my 5.7... I am eager to see how yours goes together... car looks great so far, good job gettin some work done with a little guy around.

JOE

Yes we have started a school fund for the boy. Everything done or bought for the car has been from the sales of old parts, and lots of over time at work.

Ok I said I would post some pics of the brake line so here you go.

Attachments

• IMG_0400.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 595
  • IMG_0401.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 587
  • IMG_0402.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 586
  • IMG_0403.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 589
How did the electrical go with the ISIS units? I would like to go this way with my project, but electrical is my worst thing. To me it looks easier because you don't have to have a bunch of relays everywhere to take the load off the switches. Thanks

Well not much to update on the car, been busy with family and getting the garage ready for insulation and drywall which we did last weekend. My buddy that did my cage lent me his lift to do the ceiling other wise it would have been impossible with 14 foot ceilings. Once I get the garage back together the build will continue.

Attachments

• IMG_0418.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 560
  • IMG_0421.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 562
  • IMG_0423.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 566
  • IMG_0424.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 572
  • IMG_0425.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 566
How did the electrical go with the ISIS units? I would like to go this way with my project, but electrical is my worst thing. To me it looks easier because you don't have to have a bunch of relays everywhere to take the load off the switches. Thanks

I have laid the wiring out and labeled everything, found where I want to mount the boxes and mega fuse kit. I decided to continue with the fab work of the smaller stuff like wiper motor and brake lines. This is my first time wiring a complete car and I am impressed with the kit as it has been easy so far.

Trevor

Well its been a month + since I have posted any updates. Reason being I have not had any hahaha. Life has been to busy with my first baby being born and insulating and cleaning and arranging the garage. I have been itching to get back at it and yesterday I was finally able to. First was to tackle the steering column, as it was rebuilt but I was having a problem with the shaft sliding inside the housings. After working on it all day reassembling putting it back in the car it had the same problem and I wanted to take a sledge hammer to it. After dinner and a few beers I came on fabo and asked about the problem and did some searching. I found out what I thought was the problem with the help of members here and today went out and tried some stuff and now its fixed. I have a few changes I need to make on the alterkation install and then I can continue on the build.

Trevor

Attachments

• IMG_0544.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 538
Was able to get out for a few hours today, marked areas where I need to trim a little more for the upper a-arm clearance guess I did not remove enough first time, and removed the engine wiring harness and labeled all the sensors. Also a few weekends ago I sold my 340, so I called Robert At Modular Turbo http://www.modularturbo.com and after a few long phone calls we choose a couple turbos. Dealing with Robert has been such a great experience and he is a great guy. He took the time to explain things and answer every question. At the end of all the conversations we decided on twin 72/65 Turbonetics turbos. I still have cash from the 340 sale to get rods and pistons. Going to try and get the engine and trans put together and back in the car so I can set up front suspension and figure how the turbos are going to fit.

Trevor

Last weekend my dad and I were able to get the engine back in the car with the trans and the steering column hooked up. I had the column in the car but had to remove it to get the engine and trans in as a unit. Once the engine was in and the column back in place we put the factory rad in to see how much room we had.
Then Christmas came a little early this year, on Tuesday my bov, turbo oil drain kit and 3" v-bands. Then today the twins came, 72/65 Turbonetic turbo's.

Attachments

• IMG_0558.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 497
  • IMG_0557.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 465
  • IMG_0560.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 479
  • IMG_0571.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 494
  • IMG_0569.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 484
  • IMG_0572.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 488
DANG.... The twins look awesome, your boy knows nice stuff when he sees it.

It's like I can already hear 'em spoolin...

JOE

-
Back