Top Speed stock 5.7?

-
There was a member on here with a gold Duster with a boneyard 5.7 that put down 290 on a chassis dyno. I think it was carbed...

My tko600 equipped 73 Duster with a 400+hp 408 stroker and 3.73's hit 130 on the back striaght at Talladega in May, with the windows down and vents open. Still had plenty left, just ran out of straightaway. Took turn 3&4 at 109, smooth as silk. Oh, and my tank pickup was uncovering off of turn 2, I only had 1/4 tank of gas. Silly me, I should have filled up!

My 08 LS3 Vette, on the other hand, hit 163 and was still pulling! That was top in and windows up. Best I could get with the targa top off and the windows down was 145.

So with the windows up, I imagine it would have picked up 5 mph...

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_01 Aug. 06 21.08.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 247
  • ScreenHunter_02 Aug. 06 21.09.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 244
There was a member on here with a gold Duster with a boneyard 5.7 that put down 290 on a chassis dyno. I think it was carbed...

not exactly apples to apples. 5.7's in cars and trucks are all through automatic transmissions and generally turning 20 inch wheels. 294 rear wheel horsepower is pretty decent for headers and a mod man intake. I would guess it made 260 or less rwtq.

I had an 07 1/2 ton ram 2wd with a 5.7. Lowered 4/6 went 126mph on gps with the governor removed.

Jimmy Ray,

Good lookin' Duster, must have been fun running it a Talladega.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Trap speed calculators put my stock engine (+headers and Mod Man) at around 290 rear wheel with my Megasquirt setup. I'm still spinning the tires on launch, so it might have a little more in it that's not showing up on the time slips, but I do know that it runs side by side with my mom's 99 Vette from a rolling start. Given the weights of the cars and whatnot I figure it to be around 350 at the crank.

Trap speed calculators put my stock engine (+headers and Mod Man) at around 290 rear wheel with my Megasquirt setup. I'm still spinning the tires on launch, so it might have a little more in it that's not showing up on the time slips, but I do know that it runs side by side with my mom's 99 Vette from a rolling start. Given the weights of the cars and whatnot I figure it to be around 350 at the crank.

If you are hitting 106-112 in the 1/4, your 5.7 is making some good oats mang.

not exactly apples to apples. 5.7's in cars and trucks are all through automatic transmissions and generally turning 20 inch wheels. 294 rear wheel horsepower is pretty decent for headers and a mod man intake. I would guess it made 260 or less rwtq.

Not true in the new challenger you can get a tremec 6 speed with a 5.7...
I've gotten my 2008 charger 5.7 (R/T) up to 135mph with a tune and exhaust

It's not possible to hit 500hp in a 5.7 without a stroker or forced induction

We retrofitted a 6.1 kenne bell supercharger running 8 psi on a 2010 Challenger 5.7 with long tubes and corsa exhaust as well as a custom tune (it was an auto) and got 412 hp to the wheels. We ended up taking it off because we bent a couple pushrods having too much fun. So I would say it is possible but not with out a thick wallet and someone who knows what they're doing

I've got an old 833 behind mine, so no overdrive, but with my 3:55 rear gears and a 25.6" tall tire I can pull her right up to redline without much trouble. My speedo ends at 120, but I was probably doing at least 6k rpm if not 6200 (the redline I set), so that puts it somewhere around 130-135. There's another gentleman here that lives in Germany and drives his hemi swap on the Autobahn with no troubles.

Thats probably me.... :)
yes, Autobahn cruising is about .... hehe convert yourself.... approx 160km/h. Gas usage about 15L / 100km. Top Speed never reached. I broke up at 230 Km/h. Not brave enough I guess. But plenty space under the pedal at I could feel the car wants faster. Guess 250 km/h is no problem.
I measured with GPS.
Have a 6.1, Toyota 5 speed, 3,23 rear, 255/65/15 wheels in the rear...

Btw I measured with 4 passengers and wheel spin a 0 to 100km/h acceleration of 7 seconds.

Getting a stock 5.7 Hemi to pull an Abody to 140+ MPH isn't that big a deal. My 68 BONE STOCK 383 4 speed coronet with 3.23 gears would quit pulling at 5700 rpm, or 138 mph. That motor was lucky to have 290 hp at the back tires. And it quit pulling because it ran into valve float, not lack of power. To me the big question is how to keep it shinny side up if you hop it up a little and put some REAL road gears in it, like a 2.96 or 2.76. I could see a tuned 5.7 with a stick trans and a road gear hitting 150 without a swaet. You just need enough straight road and bail money!

Yeah, going fast isn't usually what bothers me the most, it's hitting the brakes at 100+ that's unnerving. It's not too bad to keep it pointed straight when you've got the pedal down, but when I tap the brakes to reign it back in it likes to dance around a little on the initial hit. A "little" at 100+ isn't exactly the most comfortable feeling with somewhat sloppier older steering.

It's not possible to hit 500hp in a 5.7 without a stroker or forced induction

A forged 5.7 fully built has a shot at it. I have not seen a 500 rwhp 5.7, but I have seen a 502 hp engine dyno with a 10.91 @ 123 to back it up in a 2009 challenger at 3825 lbs @ +2000 DA. And if I remember correctly, Jerry at Sharadon had a forged 5.7 put down 550 on an engine dyno with a drag pak intake. Granted, both of these have major head work, 12:1+ compression, etc.

As far at top speed goes- if and when I finally finish my build, I'll be able to chime in on the subject. Mine 5.7 is closer to those listed above than stock, though. I geared the car for ~150 in 4th gear @ 7000 RPM before needing overdrive. It should be enough for the Texas World Speedway straight on the road course days. I will not go that fast until I have some sort of front air dam / spoiler / splitter. As I recall, 135 wiith the prior motor (408) was way too "floaty" to be safe.

If your car got "floaty" at 140 something is amiss. I drag race a stock body 65 dart, only change is no front bumper and I can and do go through the traps at 150 to 155 mph on every pass without any sensation of ill handling. Bracket racing can call for some hard braking, and I have stood on em pretty hard from time to time without problems. Most guys start putting spoilers on the back at about 155 to 160, so there is a speed point to be concerned about depending on body style. I suspect the 65 Dart body is more friendly to the driver than some body styles. It is a brick, but may not generate the lift that some might due to the shape of the trunk area.

-
Back