towing capacity slant six

-

hypermite

Reaction score
There's a guy at work with a 1976 Dodge long bed 2wd pickup, with a 225 & 4 speed manual, his son tried to perform a tune up on it & now it wont run, He doesn't want to mess with it & wants it gone, it's in really nice shape inside & out. My question is, Would this thing be able to tow a car trailer with a 3200 lb car on it? I can get the truck for about $600.

Won't pull fast but will pull for ever with a well tuned engine. $600 is a steal even if it had a rod hangin out the side of the block, Don't let it slip thru your fingers.!!

i towed a 66 charger with a 67 belevedere with a 225 from Cincinnati to detroit. was quite an adventure, but we made it

i towed a 66 charger with a 67 belevedere with a 225 from Cincinnati to detroit. was quite an adventure, but we made it

This is what I had in mind. In other words "define towing." Do you mean "able to move under it's own power" or do you mean, actually drive down the road without being an almost moving roadblock?

In my mind, when you "load up" something like a "heavy" 1/2T or better, with extra tools, jacks, maybe campin' gear and a "couple of guys" you know the drill --- the junk you take, an slant, to me, frankly doesn't sound like any fun at all.

On a light traveled freeway is one thing, but when you start holding folks up on the kind of rural 2 lanes we have around here, people get pissed.

From your description, i'd get the truck.....period. As a designated tow vehicle...not so much, unless it's some local, smaller loads. I'd think 5k + is a stretch for anything other then the occasional tow around town.

I will say that I mainly towed with 3/4 & 1 ton p/up's, other then a 318 Mag powered 94' 1/2 ton for a short period. I always liked a little overkill when it came to tow vehicles.

It really does sound like a nice deal, and i'd get it, just not for car trailer towing on a regular basis.

There's a guy at work with a 1976 Dodge long bed 2wd pickup, with a 225 & 4 speed manual, his son tried to perform a tune up on it & now it wont run, He doesn't want to mess with it & wants it gone, it's in really nice shape inside & out. My question is, Would this thing be able to tow a car trailer with a 3200 lb car on it? I can get the truck for about $600.

You can maybe change to steeper gears- my 2000 Dodge van is only a 318, but it has a 4.10 rear gear- can pull anything

Oh my goodness yes. I can assure you it is already geared to be a truck. I had one that just never stopped. I have a 69 3/4 ton someone put dual wheels on and I pull a compact tractor with a back hoe. It does not go fast but it will pull a car on a trailer with no problem. You can always drop a V8 in it.

My friend had a 82 /6 stick and pulled and towed a lot of old cars, a little week but always got the job done

I use to pull a 19' deck boat with my 1970 Duster with slant 6 and 3 speed manual. It pulled it just fine, little slow to start put would do speed limit with no problems. Big problem for me and didn't think about it at 18 was it didn't stop too good. But on a truck it would have enough brakes for towing a load.

Trucks were all 6 back in the day. They were plenty strong to do the job. Just not a fast as the more powerful V8, but still got the job done.

My guess you don't plan on cross country. Big problem would. Be if you live in very hilly country. But hey, they might get pissed behind you but they will get over it.

Ever go up a mountain on the interest ate and have semi going 20 MPH with flashers on, once you cannot maintain 40 MPH turn flashers on to warn other drivers.

I would buy it for $600 and I don't need it. Would get it running and resell if nothing else.

This is what I had in mind. In other words "define towing." Do you mean "able to move under it's own power" or do you mean, actually drive down the road without being an almost moving roadblock?

Well said.

I had a 1/2 ton ford with the fuelly 5.0. I would pull a 25ft big block donzi boat with it. IT would do it but hills of any sort were an issue. I would use low range at the boat launch. Bot probably weighed 4500 pounds with the trailer.

When both my brothers raced we had to borrow a pickup to pull one of them, borrowed a mid 80's Ford with a straight six and it pulled better than a mid 80's Chevy with a 350 that we borrowed another time.

I think oldmanrick summed it up best. I drove big rigs for some years. I once had a 76 short bed with the 225 and auto. One time (note ONE TIME) I towed a full size Ferguson tractor with a loader bucket and backhoe up into the Sierra Nevadas. Way heavier than a car. I was young, it was kinda foolish and abusive, but it made it. The big weakness was the auto, but you have that solved with the 4 spd. Even a high-cube Cat engine in a Kenworth will only pull so fast uphill. The thing to remember (unknown to many RV haulers and such) is that you have to drive it like a truck, not a sports car. Drive ahead, don't lug the engine uphill, don't push it beyond its capabilities, don't try to keep up with the Camaros.

I also STRONGLY suggest, if you'll be pulling trailers with cars on them, for $600 you can afford a little extra to install an electric brake sender, and get a trailer set-up with electric brakes. Surge brakes on rental trailers are next to useless. Regardless of what engine you have, don't forget when you get to the top of the hill, you have to go down, and a trailer and car edging towards 5,000 lbs pushes hard on a truck that weighs less. I've had some tedious uphill climbs, and I always follow the rules (in most states) more than 5 cars behind you, find a place to pull over and let them pass. But I never had a scary uphill ride. I've had some very scary downhill runs, in big rigs with malfunctions and little rigs not well equiped. Be safe, and enjoy that $600 deal!

Cap'n so far's I'm concerned, surge brakes should be illegal. "Just like a truck" you want all the brakes you can get "back there" in the ***, not pushing you from the front.

On a side note, LOL, What did you THINK was gonna happen?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4MQEYe4_0Y"]Unstable caravan-auto jack-knife. Test by Olle Nordström. - YouTube[/ame]

Ok, really nice try, but..........FAIL!!!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFeJ4RwfFbg"]AWESOME CAMPER! - YouTube[/ame]

I had a 77 /6 ,1/2 ton with 3 speed with overdrive. I loved that truck. there was nothing I couldn't tow. it took me a bit to get to 70 when towing a cartrailer with a car (65 caddy) on it. but once I got past 25 it went a lot faster to 70. 0-25 was a little slow rowing through the gears to get there and I stayed in 3rd till I hit 55-60. hills kept me in 3rd gear since overdrive just didn't have enough oomph to hold speed on a hill. dang truck was a Michigan truck and the cab just fell/rusted apart till I couldn't fix it any more. The outer roof skin blew off in a windstorm we had while I was driving back home from fishing one night. never did find the darn roof.

you could also pull the head, mill it, redo the guides and seat, some port work, and it will really pick up.

When both my brothers raced we had to borrow a pickup to pull one of them, borrowed a mid 80's Ford with a straight six and it pulled better than a mid 80's Chevy with a 350 that we borrowed another time.

A Ford 300 six is a far cry from the slant 6.

If I recall it makes more torque than the 302 V8.

A Ford 300 six is a far cry from the slant 6.

If I recall it makes more torque than the 302 V8.

No kiddin. Plus, it's got 75 more cubes than a slant, LOL

My dad used to have a 50's GMC 1T pickup with a 302 "Gimmy" in it. Keeariaust that thing pulled.

Put a 4 speed 833 overdrive behind it with 4.10 gears. You'll have a 3.09 first gear. No trouble pulling with that.

Chrysler put slant sixes in everything from A bodies to D500 dump trucks. Yeah, it might not be the speediest thing on the planet, but it will pull just fine.

I'll take it for 6hundy,
sounds like a screaming deal.

Lawrence

thanks for all the insight people! I may just have to go take a look at it. Towing would consist of hauling my Duster or motorcycle, to the local 1/4 mile track, about 60 miles away. the terrain is mostly flat, except for one hill on the way back, it's about 6% for a half mile or so.

-
Back