Trans-go Kits?

-

JoeDust451

Reaction score
I've heard these are really nice, are any of you useing them, if so, what kit did you go with, how hard was it to install? Its for a 904.

The 'RV' level kits are great in my opinion. You'll see a good deal less slip once installed - some nice second gear chirps. Just make sure that your tranny is in good condition before hand. Install is very simple it's been a while since I've done one though. If you can handle dropping the valve body out you're halfway there, just replace a couple of springs and drill a channel or two (drill bits and bolt-on guide plates were included with the kit I used). After install your tranny will perform better and last longer - best bang for buck upgrade ever.

TF-2 is a great kit. 1-2 shifts hard. Easy to install and gives you options on how hard you want it to shift. Only takes a couple of hours to install. Just to let you know the kit is for both the 727 and 904, but mine and another members kit only came with a pan gasket for the 727 so you may have to buy it seperate for your 904.

I have the Trans-Go 2 kit in my 904,works great with firm shifts.I had mine installed when my tranny was being looked at.Apparently it,s an easy install.:-D

TF-2! They work great, shift crisp, install easy. I love 'em. They come with good instructions. I think they're designed so the guy who can change his own oil and spark plugs can get the install done. I think on a first install it will probably take 2 to 3 hours from the time the tranny cover is unbolted to having the kickdown adjusted and ready for daily driviing. I hear they even have a help line that is manned by people and those people speak English and work on transmissions! Do the TF-2... you will love it.

Yet another for the TF2. Not hard to install but there's a lot of info and options in the instructions so you gotta read carefully.

Thanks Fish, i ordered one.

No problem Joe. Glad to help. BTW: it takes more than a couple hrs to install it IMO. More like 3 to 3-1/2. You have to do quite a few mods to the valve body and some to the rear servo. Of course if you have a lift that would drop the time a good amount.

The kits for the 727/904 are good. I've used them before with excellent results. However I bought a TransGo kit for my 48RE in my 06 diesel and it didn't work well at all. I ended up taking almost the entire kit back out, it wouldn't shift out of 2nd until way late sometimes and other times it wouldn't downshift. I'm no tranny novice either, I've been a Chrysler trans tech for over 30 years.

Just got the trans-go kit, its nice but NO f*ckin way am i going to attempt that, i'm not that brave :glasses9:, so its up 4 sale, i'll stick with a cheetah RPVB & keep it simple, pisses me off because i could've had one for 125.00 shipped & jacked around, now i lost his # :angry7:.

What looks so intimidating Joe? I've known amateur mechanics install them. If the rear servo mod is what scares you just so you know if it's a low band apply type MRVB (the only type that should be used on the street) you also need to do the servo mod to use a MRVB. That's the biggest issues with torqueflites that causes overlap on the 1-2 shift. You might also have to replace the front servo apply lever when using a MRVB if the one on your trans. now isn't correct.

I guess its the fileiing & drilling, just don't want to screw up this tranny, now you mention the servo mod, i don't think it needs done with this kit, because its not manual pattern kit, that kit was 120.00, this kit has springs, lots of them lol & plates/drill bit, its just tackling new tearitory makes me nervous, especially a tranny.

A reverse pattern that isn't manual?? Never seen one. Either way, for a performance application the rear servo mod is necessary because 9 times out of 10 if you improve the 1-2 shift without doing it you will experience shift overlap. You may not even feel it but it'll be there. Back when I was learning this stuff about 20 yrs. ago I found out the hard way. I put a B&M type shift kit in a torqueflite and man did it slam the gears. but I noticed it didn't shift as hard if I manually shifted it so I investigated and found that after only 3000 miles there was at least 4 times more crap and shavings in the pan that there was the first 40,000 miles I drove the vehicle. After investigating I found it was the overlap eating the bands and clutch plates up. I then took it all back apart and installed a Trans-go kit that I was too cheap to buy the first time and it worked great. I ran the truck 50,000 more miles very hard. Racing it at least 500 times running mid 14's and it still worked great when I sold it and ran 40,000 more miles before the guy had to rebuild it. That's my testimonial to the quality of Trans-go kits.

Here's something to think about Joe. Wasn't there a time when you didn't know how to rebuild an engine, or even tune up an engine? Weren't those new territories you delved into?

29 yrs. ago when I was 17 I rebuilt my first 727 in high school shop class and installed a shift kit that was the predecessor to the trans-go kits and it worked great. It didn't have the rear servo mod included or manual valve mod (which is extremely simple btw) but everything else was there.

If I could do it then with my VERY limited automotive knowledge, you can do it, Joe. I got faith in ya.:cheers:

I think what the guy was saying is if one is afraid of the rear servo mod, and that's why they won't attempt the Trans-Go kit, the same mod is needed with a manual reverse valve body, like the Cheetah. I installed the TF-2 in my 727, but I rebuilt the trans at the same time. Both were new to me, but I had a '67 FSM to go by, and nothing to lose. I was 19, and it took me 5 hours for the rebuild and TF-2 install total. A clean work space with lots of room is your best tool when doing a trans. Lay everything out as you remove it and clean one part at a time.

It looks worse than it is... really. It's more involved because it does the improvements the right way. Some fresh newspaper (rags - aka lint are not good on valve bodies) and good lighting, along witha few cans of brake clean and you're good to go. They really are well written instructions.

I made the Transgo mod on my 727BB in my 65 Newport years ago. Don't recall which kit, but I went with the milder change (daily driver). I can't say I noticed a big difference, perhaps a little firmer 1-2 shifts. My notes say I didn't make the change to the rear piston. It probably required special snap-ring pliers or too much disassembly. I was a bit worried about drilling out the channel wall, but did it anyway. Other than that, I recall all changes are reversible (swap/remove balls and springs). On a driver, I would wait until other work like at least a filter change, unless you really need a project.

every automatic that i have had in the past 10 years has a trans go kit in it, that is all my buddies shop uses. the one he put in a 4r70 in my f-150 was pretty wild. he could make it shift form slightly firmer than stock to blow the rear end apart in about the time it took to change the fluid and filter....

Just pull out that instruction manual that Trans-Go sent. Read through it lightly so you get an overview. Then go back through and pay attention to each step, identifying which items apply and which parts to use. Underline and make a note or two and then pull that pan. You will find that the job isn't all that difficult and they have it so if you pay attention as you go along through the steps you will be succesful. If you hit a snag there are folks on call at Trans-go who can assit you, plus this site has folks that will provide info too. As mentioned, do the work in a clean roomy area.

Hey I've got a friend that has a 67 Cuda with a 727 in it and he wanted a shift kit. The tranny shop practically held a gun on him for the install price quote. So he asked me if I would help him install it. I suggested he try it and let me know when he hit a snag. Next time I saw him he was proud as can be that he did his shift kit all by himself. I asked him how he adjusted his bands (which he had done correctly) and helped him adjust the kickdown and that is it. And, this is a guy who needed help doing a front brake job a year previous!!

You Can do it!

Thanks for the encouragement guys, i'm in the process of installing the PTC converter, so i'll continue & drop out the VB & give it a shot.

It's not that bad once you start doing it. It has great instructions and if you happen to drop a ball and can't figure out where it came from the instructions show you were everything goes when you are done. Just keep it organized and clean.

Aaaah,shift kits. First one I ever did I was 18 sitting in my parents driveway. Did it all by hand right there on the concrete,hand held drill etc...Was fun bracing the valve body between my knees while drilling,lol!!

-
Back