Trick Flow 440 heads, The Real Deal?

-
Here is a TF head with some different rocker arms mocked up. The shorter rocker arms fit a lot better. The relationship between the shaft and the valve tip might be slightly different than on a stock head but I haven't measured it yet.

Attachments

• DSC_8940 (Large).jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 1,326
  • DSC_8943 (Large).jpg
    30 KB · Views: 1,313
I would like to know how much bigger on the exhaust valve they can go, and if I can port match the exhaust ports to match my 2 inch hedman fender wheels?

The information sheet IQ52 posted shows minimum bore size of 4.32 inch. The bore size on my 383/432 is 4.28, that is of course .02 inch less radius...not much.
Is the trick flow minimum bore due to combustion chamber size, or valve diameter, or??
Can someone measure the combustion chamber diameter along the long axis of the head deck surface, IE parallel with a line thru the valve centers? Could they also measure the distance from OD to OD measured thru the valve centers? This should be slightly less than the combustion chamber measurement.
thank you.

The information sheet IQ52 posted shows minimum bore size of 4.32 inch. The bore size on my 383/432 is 4.28, that is of course .02 inch less radius...not much.
Is the trick flow minimum bore due to combustion chamber size, or valve diameter, or??
Can someone measure the combustion chamber diameter along the long axis of the head deck surface, IE parallel with a line thru the valve centers? Could they also measure the distance from OD to OD measured thru the valve centers? This should be slightly less than the combustion chamber measurement.
thank you.

Valve diameter.

Using an 8519PT1 (.039") head gasket on a 4.250" bore the intake valve hits the cylinder wall at .770" lift. The retainer will hit the seal on the exhaust valve at .850" lift and still hasn't hit the cylinder wall.

Thanks to Mike and the rest of you pro builders for reviewing these heads for us.
Have any of you, or members, built a 440 with them yet?

What header flange would best suit these heads and tube size for 500+ HP? Street.
I sure could use some help deciding best bang for the buck quality, great durability, hydraulic flat lifter, 93 pump gas friendly engine.
72 440- 4spd- 3.55s-27" tall tire. 3,500 lb? car
A recipe using these heads would be great.
idle to ?? rpm. cam spec. or Part# manufacture?
Pistons- hypers or forged? manufacture?
Intake? I like the ede. rpm. carb cfm?
I have a machinist lined up to build my short block soon.

I'm building a 470 engine with the TF heads, should have it on the dyno in a couple of weeks. My engine has flat top pistons with a small dish to make 10.5 compression. I'll run a solid roller cam, a Victor intake and a 850 dp carb. Basically a pump gas race engine for the guy who wants to drive a 10.0 car back and forth to the track, or just doesn't want to pay for super expensive race gas.

Hah! Should be fun. We are building a 440 with Trick Flow heads, 10.2:1, solid roller and a 6-pack. Probably ready in 30-40 days.

I'm building a 470 engine with the TF heads, should have it on the dyno in a couple of weeks. My engine has flat top pistons with a small dish to make 10.5 compression. I'll run a solid roller cam, a Victor intake and a 850 dp carb. Basically a pump gas race engine for the guy who wants to drive a 10.0 car back and forth to the track, or just doesn't want to pay for super expensive race gas.

Very interested in how it turns out.

Hah! Should be fun. We are building a 440 with Trick Flow heads, 10.2:1, solid roller and a 6-pack. Probably ready in 30-40 days.

Thanks guys,
guess I`ll confide with my machinist and a cam company for specifics, on my build.

Getting close

Attachments

• DSC_9118 (Large).jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 1,117
andy f,,what would be the advantage to belt drive over gear and chain drives,i know on belt drive the belt has to be changed every year

cant wait to see the results , that is similar to what i am thinkin on my next build:D

Thanks to Mike @ MRL for the solid roller lifters last night. My way of thanking you for info on this thread!

-
Back