Trunk key missing

-

HuskerPower

Reaction score
My 65 cuda is missing the trunk key. Locksmith says I need to crawl in from the front to get the tumbler out. questions.

1. Any tips on wedging my 6' 2" frame into that space?

2. How do I get the rear cargo panel out from the front?

3. Where can I get a new tumbler?

THANX.

It's most likely in the trunk ;)

The ignition key doesnt fit?

How are the latch bolts situated. On a Dart parts car I bought, I taped just about every extension I had together and reached back there with a socket, removed the latch bolts.

Unfortunately, it is difficult on that model car due to the locks for the cargo panel are in the trunk. I was able to approximate where the locks were and then used screw drivers to pry the panel down and pop the panel locks with more screwdrivers. After that, you can crawl back far enough to work on the lock from inside the trunk. Its been so long that i don't remember that part; sorry. Good luck.

I had a missing trunk lock key issue on a '69 Barracuda.
I drilled a 1-1/4" (speedbore) hole just below the latch in the plywood drop down panel. I was able to release the latch. Unfortunately, there was enough items in the trunk that it wouldn't drop. I ended up making a hammer flattened (screwdriver) edge on a 1/4"X4 foot piece of rod. With a little light, one good eye, and a few tries I was able to find the rear of the lock with the flat of the rod. Holding it there I gave the opposite end of the rod a couple lite smacks with a small vise-grip to help seat the flat into the slot. Clamped the vise-grip on the rod, turned it counterclockwise, and the trunk was open.
Found the key a week later in a cooler I had recently used.:banghead:

Just use a bobby pin and pick the lock. Works on TV everytime..
No, really, a good locksmith can open it for you and then make you a key.
Just had it done for the trunk on my motorcycle. Just as complicated as your lock.

Mine went bad, so I just drilled the lock out, opened the trunk with a screwdriver, and replaced the lock assembly with one I purchased from this site. Really was that simple. Surely someone here has one they will sell you.

I would just drill out the trunk lock and replace it.

A REAL locksmith can make a key from an impression made in the lock on a blank key.

No, really, a good locksmith can open it for you and then make you a key.
Just had it done for the trunk on my motorcycle. Just as complicated as your lock.

Find a good locksmith , they will pick the lock and remove the cylinder and make you a key or key it to a key you have

Old locks are easy to pick, because they have more play, though the driver's door would be more worn. Your ignition key probably fits the lock. Jiggle the key in and out fast, with just slight tension in the opening direction. If lucky, you will pop each pin into the right place and the tumbler tension will hold it there. Locksmiths simply use a tensioning bar and a little curved pick to push each pin up until they find the gap and the tension locks it there. They can feel the tumbler move slightly as each pin is picked. There is also a "clicker gun" that knocks all pins up together and you hope each catches the gap on the way down, but I think that is more for hacks. If you pick the lock in the wrong direction, locksmiths have a spring spinner tool that flips it back the other way before the pins can drop. Use this knowledge only for good. I am sure all the felons learn it in prison anyway, though most don't have the patience (why they are there).

65 is the last of the flat one sided key-- not sure if other years will work-- , call around there has to be an old locksmith that can do that in a jiffy. Especially if you tell him it is not an emergency.

Try finding a key blank for that,, locally we have an old shop & the owner smiled walked to a section of keys & asked how many do you want?? Worked perfect.

Good Luck ,Lawrence

A REAL locksmith can make a key from an impression made in the lock on a blank key.

This ^^^ I've saved enough lock cylinders from parts cars over the years and collected the pins and springs to be able to re key several door lock cylinders to match ignitions.

Good locksmiths are hard to find anymore. Most of the young fellas they send out want to drill the lock. At least that has been my experience.

Can you unscrew the hinge for the panel into the trunk from the inside and then go in from the bottom and unlatch the panel and get access??? Just thinking...

-
Back