Tubular K Member

-
thats cool i just wanted you to be aware that the new brake stuff won't fit the alter-k before you found out the hard way..

as far as the oil pan goes i really don't know.. you would have to talk to bill about that...

abodyjoe said:
thats cool i just wanted you to be aware that the new brake stuff won't fit the alter-k before you found out the hard way..

as far as the oil pan goes i really don't know.. you would have to talk to bill about that...

Whos bill?

USCG CHARGER said:
Whos bill?

bill reilly is who makes the alter-k.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Our Daily Hours Are 9am - 6pm Eastern Time.

Phone - 570-443-7440

Mailing/Shipping Address is:

Reilly MotorSports, Inc.
2323 White Haven Rd.
White Haven, PA. 18661

Realest said:
why don't you guys like the Magnumforce unit?

first i have heard way too many bad experiences with them... i know a guy that went throught three of them before he got one to fit his car... then i hear all kinda of alignment issues, then the magnumforce unit uses the stock shock mounts to support the entire weight of the car wich definatley causes problems (they just came out with some cheesy supoport for that problem that i think welds to the roll bar). in the past i have heard horror stories about bad welds too. haven't heard that in a while though.. i have read about those problems time and time again on multiple boards. to me with that much bad feed back from customers its just not worth the chance of wasting all that money on one...

on the flip side i have never and i mean never heard one bad thing about the alter-k... everyone that posts about RMS ( the makers of the alter-k) rants and raves about how nice the workman ship is, how easy the install was, how nice it handles and drives, how great the customer service and how bill took the time to answer any questions and explain anything they wanted to know about the options, parts and kits.. believe me i did my homework on these frontends way way before i got my alter-k... the alter-k is by far the best out there at this time..

thanks for the info!\
i guess it take a mopar man to fabricate a quality unit hey? LOL

Realest said:
thanks for the info!\
i guess it take a mopar man to fabricate a quality unit hey? LOL

lol.. the best part about bill and rms is that most of the stuff he does starts on a-bodies unlike the other money ***** companies out there that start with e body stuff then b-body stuff and usually never get to the abody stuff because there isn't enough money in it...

i wanted to bump this up again...................

i thought most of this info was real real good.

I wish I would have read this before..............the alter-k seems to be the way to go for 5.7 swaps....................I'll want to do one WITH and WITHOUT the alter-k because I know customers will do it both ways.

By doing both I think we'll see the pros and cons and tell people what to watch out for.

I've heard stories about Magnum Force also when I researched their K frame. I also know of people who've had no problems with it. It is pricey though and yes the upper shock mount needs additional bracing. It was never meant to hold the weight of the car.

As for the other units I can only say that I've heard nothing but good things about the Alterkation. I've heard nothing about the CAP K frame.

I will say though that for the money they get for some of these units I'd rather just go with an aftermarket front strut clip. That way you get lightweight brakes and a rack and pinion unit. Tons of room to install any engine you want and header clearance beyond your wildest dreams. Not to mention probably at least 500 ugly pounds off the front of your car.

I AGREE NEVER HEARD OR READ ANYTHING BAD ABOUT THE ALTER K I SURF A LOT OF MOPAR SITES AND NEVER HEARD OF THE CAP ONE ONE DAY I WANT TO GET A ALTER K FOR MY DARTS :toothy7:

gremlin said:
What is the weight savings on the CAP vs stock K? I thought you could run the upper tubular control arms with the stock set up?

Torsion Bars transfer the wheel loads back to the uni-body frame that runs left and right, the full width of the of the car. When you put a coilover in place of the Torsion Bar the wheel loads go UP, instead of BACK. And if your not reinforcing where the coilover mounts to the shock tower, dudes right, the car will start flexing. That's how the Alterkation is made.

MrPedalsworth said:
Torsion Bars transfer the wheel loads back to the uni-body frame that runs left and right, the full width of the of the car. When you put a coilover in place of the Torsion Bar the wheel loads go UP, instead of BACK. And if your not reinforcing where the coilover mounts to the shock tower, dudes right, the car will start flexing. That's how the Alterkation is made.

Just to be clear, I hope you were asserting that the AlterK kit does provide support for the coilovers, without relying on the factory shock towers. Because it does in fact have a very sturdy looking bracket on it which the coilover bolts to, suupporting the weight of the car on this bracket, which is attached to the crossmember, and not loading the factory shock towers.

Dan

I thought this looked pretty sweet for $1000.00! It drops almost 80 pounds! I may just go Pinto rack with stock K-member though.... :blob:

KmemLow.JPG

DARE Racing Products

Something ot consider....the steering design geometery is wrong. It is a nice piece for srtip only applications. But the bump steer and the ackerman geometry is incorrect. Flipping the lower ball joints may appear to work but it is intended for a very small group. Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to put down the piece, I simply want to point out the deficiencies. Cuddos to him for building it.

Ray

mguner said:
I thought this looked pretty sweet for $1000.00! It drops almost 80 pounds! I may just go Pinto rack with stock K-member though.... :blob:

DARE Racing Products

do NOT even think about anything from Dare Racing... i have never heard od even one good thing about that place.. go around the mopar boards and ask about them.. you will get close to 100% negative feedback...

-
Back