**Twin Turbo 67 Dart Project**

-
good to see you chasing the bugs out of that baby!!! cant wait till your on the dyno again. till than keep it up madd you the man.

Where is it made? Hmmm china maybe...

Fast is just an MSD Re-labeled, so wherever MDS's are made Fast Labeled Dizzy's should be the same.

This here is a pretty cool idea for a Coil on Plug set up. You dont use the Distributor Cap or it's wires so why not get rid of that stuff. This would be low enough to where you would not see it too much behind the intake manifold.

Attachments

• cam-sensor1.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 977
  • cam-sensor2.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 970
  • cam-sensor3.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 963
Mad Dart;
I read through your posts, looked at the photos and re-watched your videos. I am no expert by any means but that motor had NO miss fire in the first video. It was slightly detectable at the end of the second and down right awful in the last. My thought for what they are worth are you have a crap distributor that really started to break down in the second video. I think the tuner tried changing things to correct the issue and that just made it worse. I think a good distributor and putting the specs back to where they were in the first video will cure your problem. I do however like the idea of using the COP system. Will continue to monitor your progress and wish you the best of luck in getting it repaired.
~Michael

Mad Dart;
I read through your posts, looked at the photos and re-watched your videos. I am no expert by any means but that motor had NO miss fire in the first video. It was slightly detectable at the end of the second and down right awful in the last. My thought for what they are worth are you have a crap distributor that really started to break down in the second video. I think the tuner tried changing things to correct the issue and that just made it worse. I think a good distributor and putting the specs back to where they were in the first video will cure your problem. I do however like the idea of using the COP system. Will continue to monitor your progress and wish you the best of luck in getting it repaired.
~Michael

Yeah I agree with your thinking.
I packed up and left after the 3rd Video and the Tuner pulled some LS Coils off his running Miata with a V8 in it. He used the MS3X Trigger for COP and that never fixed the problem either. He just told me yesterday that it Ran Worse with the COP set up. So I am pretty sure we nailed down the problem. What is funny is there was quite a few guys there and NONE of us even thought to pop the cap and take a peak. On the drive home I could think clearly and said to myself, I bet it has something to do with the distributor. Crossing my Fingers on it and continuing to gather all the do dadds to get it going again.

I think the cop idea is awesome! As for me,I'll be using MSII on a big blk,and thinking of just reusing the locked out 400 lean burn dis. I noted some time ago that not every dizzy will fit on a bb with aftermarket alum heads. I also kinda like the idea of using a crank trigger and cop,but dont really know how practical it is for a bb.

Sorry for jumping on your thread Louis,just kinda thinking out loud.

Whatever is going on with your motor Im positive you can get it fixed. Your mad skills are all over this sight,and enough proof for me!

I think the cop idea is awesome! As for me,I'll be using MSII on a big blk,and thinking of just reusing the locked out 400 lean burn dis. I noted some time ago that not every dizzy will fit on a bb with aftermarket alum heads. I also kinda like the idea of using a crank trigger and cop,but dont really know how practical it is for a bb.

Sorry for jumping on your thread Louis,just kinda thinking out loud.

Whatever is going on with your motor Im positive you can get it fixed. Your mad skills are all over this sight,and enough proof for me!

Your not jumping on, if so who cares?? They say to be careful with the Factory Lean Burn Dizzy cause it is most likely a VR Sensor. You need to make sure your MS is built to handle it. I read that if you are going to Rev it the Hall Sensor is supposed to be more suited to the task.

Going to COP "Coil on Plug" would only be about a $300.00 Upgrade and I wouldn't need a MSD Box that will cost more than that! The D585 Coils are the ones to get. They have cooling fins on the bottom of them and put out some Juice!

Aftermarket D585 Coils

http://www.ebay.com/itm/36037918759...AX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_2251wt_950

Pig Tails......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LS2-COIL-CO...ries&vxp=mtr&hash=item3a68669888#ht_500wt_965

Probably would make my own spark plug wires and mount the coils out of sight somewhere.

Hmm.Well is 6500 considered revving it? I wont be going any higher due to limitations in the bottom end,ie; hyper pistons and probably stock rods.

I could always use the same hall sensor you mentioned above yes? And I know there are crank trigger wheels for big block mopars.

Still not real clear on how it will all work with a couple of tbi units. I plan on using two chev tbi's on a tunnel ram or perhaps I'll have to fab a sheet metal intake. Top end is stage vi max wedge alum heads on a 400,so intake choices are very limited. I think theres one indy intake and maybe two mopar intakes that will fit.

Intake choices really suck for this motor and head combo. It is what it is.

Hmm.Well is 6500 considered revving it? I wont be going any higher due to limitations in the bottom end,ie; hyper pistons and probably stock rods.

I could always use the same hall sensor you mentioned above yes? And I know there are crank trigger wheels for big block mopars.

Still not real clear on how it will all work with a couple of tbi units. I plan on using two chev tbi's on a tunnel ram or perhaps I'll have to fab a sheet metal intake. Top end is stage vi max wedge alum heads on a 400,so intake choices are very limited. I think theres one indy intake and maybe two mopar intakes that will fit.

Intake choices really suck for this motor and head combo. It is what it is.

Sounds like you are going to have your hands full also. Alot of custom work!

Here is a good read on VR & Hall Sensors..... I may have got it backwards. Low speed the VR Sensor has possible signal issues. But check out how the signal changes when the tooth lines up. They are saying you can get timing chatter?? IDK.... Interesting.

http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/pickups.htm

Wow! This is why I am sticking with the Blow-through setup. That and affordability. Hopefully you get this figured out! Too many headaches.
Good luck though Louis!

Wow! This is why I am sticking with the Blow-through setup. That and affordability. Hopefully you get this figured out! Too many headaches.
Good luck though Louis!

Affordability?? Turbo?? That is an oxymoron no?

Blow thru set ups have their own set of issues to work through.

Every build has its glitches.......... If the Distributor is not the problem then I will continue to find it, no stopping til it is fixed.

Affordability?? Turbo?? That is an oxymoron no?

Blow thru set ups have their own set of issues to work through.

Every build has its glitches.......... If the Distributor is not the problem then I will continue to find it, no stopping til it is fixed.

No pun intended!
I bet I have less than a third of what you have spent!\\:D/ LoL!:cheers:

And, may give you a run for the money!!

No pun intended!

Not unless you are willing to put your money where your mouth is. Really? What is the point of this post? Is it helpful in some kind of way?

No pun intended!

Maybe, but a different build so that is to be expected. As you already know I ended up going down this road because I didn't want to cut my hood for Carb Clearance, my decision now I have to deal with it.

So you wanna go for pinks and you haven't even fired your's yet. Those are some bold words. But that is Ok, you are proud of how far you have come on your project. I wish you the best and hope that you don't have ANY issues like I am having cause its not fun. This Turbo stuff is a long, long road.

=Badart; Not unless you are willing to put your money where your mouth is. Really? What is the point of this post? Is it helpful in some kind of way?

No worries, I know from research that my combination should run in the High 8's at about 160ish MPH, when it is all set and done at 12-15PSI. Parking lot racing doesn't scare me, but when I am strapped in the seat surely that will.

Not unless you are willing to put your money where your mouth is. Really? What is the point of this post? Is it helpful in some kind of way?

Hmmm, I don't remember rattling your cage! Are you able to add any input on a turbo build?:sleepy4: I didn't think so!:violent1:

Oh BTW,
I never said I could beat him! Just said I could give him a run for the money.:finga:

Oh.
and my SINGLE turbo is good to 1100hp!:D

Maybe, but a different build so that is to be expected. As you already know I ended up going down this road because I didn't want to cut my hood for Carb Clearance, my decision now I have to deal with it.
I have a Bigblock and its under the Stock hood?\\:D/

So you wanna go for pinks and you haven't even fired your's yet. Those are some bold words.
Wow! All I said was I could give you a run for the money! Never did I say I could beat you.:dontknow:
I also stated no PUN INTENDED.:D

No worries, I know from research that my combination should run in the High 8's at about 160ish MPH, when it is all set and done at 12-15PSI. Parking lot racing doesn't scare me, but when I am strapped in the seat surely that will.
I bet mine will be capable of this as well with a Single!:idea1:

Didn't mean to step on your toes! If that is what happened, my apologizes! Whats wrong with a little arrogant humor? Thats all I have to say about that!
PEACE!

Didn't mean to step on your toes! If that is what happened, my apologizes! Whats wrong with a little arrogant humor? Thats all I have to say about that!
PEACE!

It's all good and you didn't step on my toes....... That is the least of my worries!

Hmmm, I don't remember rattling your cage! Are you able to add any input on a turbo build?:sleepy4: I didn't think so!:violent1:

Oh BTW,
I never said I could beat him! Just said I could give him a run for the money.:finga:

Oh.
and my SINGLE turbo is good to 1100hp!:D

Maybe is missed the sarcasm in your comment. I'm just saying that Louis is killing himself trying to figure out this problem and you make a statement like this? If you are a turbo master ASE Certification of Awesomeness then post the solution. There has already been problems with this thread and he has threatened to kill it once, because of stupid comments. Your turbo build is awesome too, but help the man out or don't say anything at all. My 2 cents.

Maybe is missed the sarcasm in your comment. I'm just saying that Louis is killing himself trying to figure out this problem and you make a statement like this? If you are a turbo master ASE Certification of Awesomeness then post the solution. There has already been problems with this thread and he has threatened to kill it once, because of stupid comments. Your turbo build is awesome too, but help the man out or don't say anything at all. My 2 cents.

Maybe I should have elaborated a bit more. With all the electronics involved it could be anything causing this problem.
I totally understand what he is facing! This is one reason I chose to stay blow-through. Believe me, I almost followed his route with the MSII!

Really the only issues I could face is steady AFR's throughout the throttle movement. Again, mine is a "Somewhat" budget build that I blew the budget on looooong ago! I can't imagine what Louis' budget build looks like now!
I just thought that a little (I guess bad) humor would lighten the subject.
Maybe its time for a little break from the head banging a wall would change thoughts for a minute?

Take a break! It will all come together in time. When things are rushed this is when issues occur. Step away and look at it from a different angle.

I bet someone over on TTF has had the same issues with the MS setup.

I really don't think that my comments would convince Louis to delete his thread. I think that was a whole other issue in itself.

Good day folks.

All my problems with this ignition will soon be a memory, then it will be something else like trying to keep it in a straight line.

On another note I found out the the MS3X is already set up for the use of 3 different type of sensors for the Cam Signal "Hall, VR & Optical"....... So in theory I can just use the Lean Burn Dizzy. I bought one today from Rockauto for $38.00......... I will do more research before I use the internal VR Sensor but at least it is already locked out with no Vac Advance.

I did take the FAST Distributor completely apart today. The backing plate rests on Plastic spacers and is held down with a C - Clip kind of a Crappy design. I could probably drill the backing plate out and add 4 screws at 90* apart to hold it so it would never wiggle, This should have been in there design from the factory. It is a poorly designed set up and I would not recommend that distributor to anybody.

Hope you get it figured out Louis,it,s only a matter of time before you stomp everything in your sights.:toothy10:

Hope you get it figured out! I hate bugs!

Think so but I will not know for sure until I get it back on the Dyno.

I have the Jimstim "for the MS3 Board" and JimstimX "for the MS3X Card" which will let you set up and check all the inputs and outputs on the bench. EVERYTHING bench tests fine so I know it is not the MS3 or the MS3X Card.

I have a message into a Megasquirt Guru/Tuner to go over everything. I should be talking to him tomorrow. I will be sending him my MSQ files and see what he says. He has been tuning and building Megasquirts for 10+ years!! Member fenderman33 got me his contact information. Thanks!

-
Back