Two piece rotor and hub - why not explained in service manual?

-

rms492

Reaction score
Hello, I have always wondered why the two piece rotor and hub removal/installation (front disc brake) procedure is not explained in the service manual (I have '70 Dart).

And I had a heck of a time trying to find out how to cut and remove the wheel studs, get new studs, use a press machine (I had to buy a press machine at Harbor Freight tools JUST FOR THIS) to press new studs back in, etc. No explanation whatsoever in service manual.
Local auto parts people (even the older style "more personal service" type auto stores had no clue how to do that). They just gave me the rotor and said here you go....I was like what do I do with this? How do I put the studs in? They had no idea.

Did Dodge at one time ever make one piece rotor/hubs ('65-'72)?

Thanks, when I get a chance, I'll post some of my pics on the procedure.
I'm just curious because this procedure took a lot of time and money, wondering if at the time (early '70s) how much something like this would have cost to have it done professionally/or at the dealer.

I just hope I did it right, I don't want the studs breaking off, etc., but I'm sure I did, as this was done about 4 years ago, but then again I drive the Dart only about 15-20 miles a month.

rMS out

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 338
  • 2.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 342
  • 3.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 327
Hello, I have always wondered why the two piece rotor and hub removal/installation procedure is not explained in the service manual (I have '70 Dart).

And I had a heck of a time trying to find out how to cut and remove the wheel studs, get new studs, use a press machine (I had to buy a press machine at Harbor Freight tools JUST FOR THIS) to press new studs back in, etc. No explanation whatsoever in service manual.
Local auto parts people (even the older style "more personal service" type auto stores had no clue how to do that). They just gave me the rotor and said here you go....I was like what do I do with this? How do I put the studs in? They had no idea.

Did Dodge at one time ever make one piece rotor/hubs ('65-'72)?

Thanks, when I get a chance, I'll post some of my pics on the procedure.
I'm just curious because this procedure took a lot of time and money, wondering if at the time (early '70s) how much something like this would have cost to have it done professionally/or at the dealer.

I just hope I did it right, I don't want the studs breaking off, etc., but I'm sure I did, as this was done about 4 years ago, but then again I drive the Dart only about 15-20 miles a month.

rMS out
Yep they got their **** together and abandoned that crap and went to the 1 piece rotor design with the BBP 73+ models. To the day, minus numbers matching resto, why anybody would want to use the old 5x4 pattern stuff.

What are my options to change to '73-up LBP?

How do I change the rear axle one?

I'm still learning how to restore Mopars.

Oh I think I found something: http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/...ow_to_install_a_big_bolt_pattern/viewall.html
You'll need the 73+ upper A arms and spindle, the caliper brackets (stock is 10.87 rotor or you can find a set for the 11.75 rotors) and the calipers that work with the caliper brackets either pin (rare) or sliding (more common) and of course wheels with the 5x4.5 (5x114.3) bolt pattern and WAY more wheel options!

The rear you can get your hands on a 8.25 rear with the 4.5 bolt pattern for next to dirt and will hold up quite well a mildly built V8 (you can also use the 7.25, 4.5 bolt pattern axle but I wouldn't because all 7.25s are junk as a stock slant 6 can destroy them).

If you choose to go this route, you can sell your 5x4 bolt pattern Disc brake setup for a good chunk of change which will cover most if not all the cost to convert the front end. The reason for converting, other then going from drums to disk and for better wheel options, are WAY cheaper parts and a hell of a lot easier to find parts for!

Changing rotors onto hubs is not rocket science, and really doesn't have to take pages in a maintenance manual to figure it out.
Probably one of the reasons that the factory engineers made a decision not to have to show a picture or two in getting it done.
Removing studs, to separate the hub from the old rotor, is just putting the stud under the ram of the press, and just press away, until the stud comes out.
It's as simple as that.
Or if you want too, you can just use a BFH, and hammer them out.
You don't have to cut, or destroy any studs in changing over to a new rotor.
Then when you press in the old, or new studs, all that you have to do is support the hud and rotor under some metal plates, and press down the studs one at a time.
I don't know why, to this day, some people make a major project out of doing something so simple.

I rebuild these brake, and front suspension parts as a little side line business, for extra income, and when i rebuild these brake systems i completely dis-assemble everything to clean them up, paint, rebuild, all the parts.
And i wouldn't be going to go though any trouble, or expense, if it was going to cost me any more money.
Here is a picture of some of the Kelsey Hayes brakes that i have done.
A few members on this board have purchased some systems from me.

Any questions, just ask me.
Jim V.

Attachments

• Kelsey Hayes #26 023 (Small).JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 359
I don't think the original two piece hubs and rotors were ever sold separately FROM THE DEALER. Only time I ever bought (4 over the years) through a dealer, the only option was complete, with hub, rotor, and studs.

Thread a beat up lug nut on the end of any studs you use a bfh on,it'll save you from peening over the ends..

I don't think the original two piece hubs and rotors were ever sold separately FROM THE DEALER. Only time I ever bought (4 over the years) through a dealer, the only option was complete, with hub, rotor, and studs.
Correct. The reason the separation of hub from rotor is not in the manual is that they only sold them as a unit.

.pdf file of how I removed the hub from the rotor on my '70 Dart.

Attachments

• RotorHubRemoval.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 275
Some proceedures are omitted from service manuals when the mfgr services the part only as an assembly. You will find the same is still true in new vehicles, parts like front hub bearing assemblies, pulley and bearing assemblies, as examples. Many times the bearing alone can be purchased from the aftermarket though.

.pdf file of how I removed the hub from the rotor on my '70 Dart.

Can you put 1/2" studs in there? I drill out my axles and have 1/2" in
those, thinking it would be nice in the front also.

i wouldnt drill them. especially in the front. the 1/2" stud wouldnt be any stronger than the drilled rotor.

-
Back