Unhappy buyer .What to do ???

-
If you take it back, I would have pictures sent to you
setting on a current dated document.
If it was dropped or somehow damaged in some way
you'll end up with a boat anchor and still could if shipped again.
If you really are uncomfortable, tell him to have his man chalk
the pattern, an post the pics.

You sold it in good faith, his man looked at it and said it was runnable,
let him deal with it.

Or tell him to sell it and you'll split the profit with him.\\:D/

I sold it for $375.00 plus shipping .He said the guy that checked it out told him it was okay to use as a spare ,but didnt turn as easily one was as it did the other ,so that meant the gears were bad or something.He told me this guy has been doing gear setups for decades .We talked through pm's before he bought it and i asked him if there was anything he wanted me to check or verify that i hadnt mentioned ,and i would do my best to get him what he needed.I made it clear that i am no expert in gear sets ,but the wear pattern looks good and it did ...

if you buy something without seening it, its as is where is

my saying is curb and gutter, tell the buyer to go do themselves! he probably ran it for 2 months and ruined them they didn't buy new but expect something new

Youre a better seller than me. I would tell him to pound sand. Wants an adjustment. What a clown.

Your ad was very clear these were used race parts everyone knows used means used.
And why would anyone who is looking for gear set wait two months to complain.
When I buy parts I inspect them when I recieve them and usally put them pretty quick as they are needed to complete a build.
My feelings are either buyers remorse or they were installed and now he has a problem that he created.
Pretty stand up of you to be this concerned I would buy parts from you based on that alone.

Caveat emptor (pron.: /ˌkæviːɑːt ˈɛmptɔr/) is Latin for "Let the buyer beware"[1] (from caveat, "may he beware", the subjunctive of cavere, "to beware" + emptor, "buyer").

Pretty stand up of you to be this concerned
that's the whole thing as to whether the OP should reimburse the buyer (in the form of 'adjusting the price') or not.
If you feel bad about the deal (and, like the others have said, you really have no reason to) then you could send some money back (more for your own peace of mind than because you 'should').
If you're fine with what you sold them for, and how they were represented and sold (and, again, you should be) then tell the buyer that.

In other words, you have to do what makes you feel the best about the transaction, IMHO.

I would first question the one that told him that. was it a professional shop? Did they run a pattern and check backlash and rotating torque? "...been doing it for years" and "feels" are all indicators to me that the guy might not be a professional in which case it's a simple your opinion vs his. You didn't charge him a lot. I'd ask for the empirical proof. Having been a professional I wouldn't say "it's not visual but they're only good for a spare". I'd present him with measurements and a pattern and say the only way you can tell if there's noise is run them.

As a professional diff builder I would say that he needs a second opinion because the terms his diff guy is full of nonsense. The turning torque of a gear set is due to bearing preload. The gears really have nothing to do with turning torque. This diff guy is trying relieve the buyer of more money because he is either incompetent or dishonest. There are two victims here and the buyer needs to find an honest person to assess his diff. Two things are very important one is backlash and the other is gear contact pattern. Gear break in will not affect turning torque. I hope this sheds some light on your situation. Both the buyer and seller are probably being scammed.

After 2 months of silence you can feel fine in saying "Sorry, but no." Its used and who knows whether that chunk sat on a shelf or did 30 passes since you saw it last. Personally I would never buy used gears, to much of a roll of the dice, and since he decided to roll the dice its now his problem if they come apart. Your ad was very clear about what was being sold.

Didn't you already "adjust" your price a couple of times?? Sounds like he got a good deal, and he should get a 2nd opinion!!

I would also offer up that since he is a member here, he should chime in on this thread and maybe include some pics and some technical support from his rear end guy to validate his position!! Geof

Hey man,, the fact you are concerned shows your sincerity,,

What you have is two different diff builders, with different opinions,, but nothing changes the fact they are - - - as others have stated.. sold as used gears that have openly been used at the strip.... where we ALL go, to try and break our vehicles..

Sleep well,, you've done nothing wrong... let the diff. builders fight it out !!

I didnt post the buyers name on this thread ,because i felt that would not help matters.He sent me another pm today and said he read this thread and all of your opinons ,but still thinks i should send him $75.00 -$100.00 for a new set of gears.If he sends me another pm about it im gunna post his name on this thread.My patience has worn thin with this deal .As i said in my reply to your pm ,you got what i descirbed and no one held a gun to your head to buy it.If you want you can come forward in front of all these guys right now and give them your side of the story .If they think im in the wrong i will send out a Money Order tommorow ...

Caveat emptor (pron.: /ˌkæviːɑːt ˈɛmptɔr/) is Latin for "Let the buyer beware"[1] (from caveat, "may he beware", the subjunctive of cavere, "to beware" + emptor, "buyer").

Uhhhhhhhhh? Chinga tu madre, translation: well I'm sure you've heard that before. Lol! That's what I would have told the buyer.

I didnt post the buyers name on this thread ,because i felt that would not help matters.He sent me another pm today and said he read this thread and all of your opinons ,but still thinks i should send him $75.00 -$100.00 for a new set of gears.If he sends me another pm about it im gunna post his name on this thread.My patience has worn thin with this deal .As i said in my reply to your pm ,you got what i descirbed and no one held a gun to your head to buy it...

You were honest with your sale and the part was used. I always have to think about a post I read a while back..... What has been posted in this thread sound like it fits this blue quote.

"Gut feelings" are usually reliable.

Anytime I buy anything over the net, I try to get as much info as possible, as well as more pics if needed. I try to answer as many possible questions as I can in my own ads.

I would have to say the buyer had all the information he asked for and you provided an accurate description to start with. If he wanted new he should have bought new and paid the price for it.

Screw that man, by reading your initial ad it's pretty easy to figure out who he is. I agree totally with the above members in saying that I doubt that the guy looking it over was a true professional. Sounds like he's trying to get over on you. If he felt strongly about the wrong doing you have done, he should chime his *** in and let everyone see pictures and whatever is in question can be viewed by everyone.

Been following this also. Not much to say but to bad for him. Used parts, and stated that way. Dont refund him a penny! nuff said.

Poo poo happens. Your ad was very clear. Don't lose any sleep over it........So the guy might not be your buddy anymore.......welcome to the club....

Hard to believe someone wants a refund on used parts. Used race parts at that. Someone must've drank to much of the "Kool Aid"!

Screw that man, by reading your initial ad it's pretty easy to figure out who he is.

Yeah, I did that too when I first read this thread. He is a good active member, but he also SELLS a ton of parts here and on Moparts. I think he knows how the game is played on USED parts.

I would have to say that if it were me buying the gears knowing they were used i would hope the seller would be honest and from what ive seen you were but i would also expect the worst as i have been on both sides before . I have bought stuff sight unseen that someone was honest about and i got better than i expected and i have bought stuff that was no where near how it was shown or described . Any time I buy anything used or new sight unseen as soon as it arrives i look it over closely to make sure its the right thing and its in as described condition .
if its not ,that person will hear from me within a couple days not months.
Also correct me if im wrong but Every rear end ive ever done feels a little different turning forwards than backwards due to the fact that the way the gears are cut they are the strongest and are designed to contact better when the vehicle is moving forwards , the contact does change slightly when turning in reverse and in a way are working against the cut pattern .
J.m.o. but feel doesnt cut it, proper measurements and verifying contact patterns . gear and bearing conditions do . I say unless he comes up with accurate measurements and pictures of their measurement methods and condition of the rear that better look exactly as you remember it I would say sorry about your luck , its yours now so use it sell it scrap it or what ever not my problem .

My eyeballs hurt from staring at the screen and this ended up longer than I expected. I really don't care for drama or over-speculation. Unfortunately I got sucked into this and figure it would be best to give my side of the story while offering some of my own speculation, but trying to be objective.

* I believed everything Daniel said and everybody, including my differential guy, agree that the pattern looks great! The gears sat for 2 months because the car didn't need new gears and I didn't have a 7260 billet yoke to put on, like I have on my other rears. Then I took it in for a professional inspection and yoke installation not expecting any issues.

* I never made any demands or accusations about the situation (At least he mentioning that.) and figured he had given the best possible and honest desciption he could. I admitted that on the surface it "appeared" that there was nothing wrong with the gears, but since I felt there was, I offered my suggestions and asked for his opinion on how we could come to a compromise. I didn't want a full refund and shipping it back was simply not practcal. But I offered to return just the gears to prove that they weren't any good to me.

* It rubbed me the wrong way when in only my 2nd email to him about this issue I tried to address many of the incorrect speculative accusations by others on the forum and simply asked what he would do if he were in my situation. His reply was that he was "done" with this and threatened to reveal my identity on the forum if I contacted him again. (Kinda funny since there was little doubt that I was buying it, as noted by several members.) Did I hit a nerve with my question?

* My differential guy said that the gears were "tweaked" (forgot the exact word), likely from improper break-in and/or HARD use. (I've read and heard many times that a R&P should be put through several cycles under light use before racing/towing.) Spinning it by hand one way was nice and smooth. Spinning it the other way had a roughness you could feel as well as hear. Kinda like a wheel bearing on its way out. (He's been at it for as long as I can remember, probably 30 years, doing everything from VW's to supercharged mud drag vehicles.) I'm no expert, but he's earned my trust, plus, I figure that a properly set-up gear with 10 or 20 runs will not have time to develop a bad pattern if it's just starting to have a problem after being beat-on.

* I made the mistake of not asking quite enough questions about the rear, but he didn't volunteer all of the details either. Otherwise I wouldn't have bought it. What I found out was:

- In his original ad for the rear on 9/17/2010, he wrote: "with 20 easy passes on it"

- In the last ad from 1/08/2012 that I replied to, he wrote: "only about 10 low 7 second passes". (So was this an honest mistake or a way to make it a more attractive buy since it didn't sell before?)

- In a 5/13/2010 post about testing the car he mentions running the 4.86 gears "launching on the Tbrake at 3800 and sticking the throttle as I drop the button".

While what was described in the ad was MOSTLY correct, the "easy runs" and # of runs is suspicious. 20 runs became 10 and the most important piece of info that was left out was the trans brake use. Most will agree that trans brakes will shorten the life of an 8 3/4. Some do it, but that doesn't change the facts. Again, I don't know if it was intentional or an honest mistake. I made a mistake by not asking enough questions. I didn't make any accusations or unreasonable demands, just asked about a compromise because I can't trust the gears. My idea of a "spare" is something I can rely on about as much as the original part in use just in case something happens to the original that routine inspections didn't catch. I can't afford not to be nit-picky like that. I figured that properly set-up gears with about 10 runs would fall into that category.

SIDE NOTES:
* Too much speculation and outright accusations on the forum, especially when someone doesn't know all the details is not a good thing, whether it applies to me, Dan or anyone else. Even then, it's one persons word against another with outright proof not always available. So some opinions are best kept under wraps.

* Buyer beware" is good advice, especially in this day and age. But I'd like to think that its more applicable to places like Ebay and CraigsList, not as much to a forum community with better known and very active members.

Daniel already made it clear that he doen't want to discuss this matter any further. That's his choice and I'm ready to put this behind me as well. I just have to take it as a learning experience and be more thorough in my questions next time to make sure the seller is providing ALL of the relevant details. I just don't like the idea of being made out to be the "bad guy" trying to screw somebody.

Thanks for your time and patience in reading this.

Communication before posting. Work hard at it.
Now we hear both sides of this mess.
Work it out and go on.
Darryl

-
Back