Using 2 alternators .....

-
I'll agree that a swiss army knife is better than no knife.

Now go process a deer with one.

Your idea is the equivalent of this:
View attachment 1715839122

View attachment 1715839121
I have actually seen a few of these at some bigger Mopar Shows. I TRULY hope I don't hurt anyone's feelings here, but the word hideous comes to mind. First, I can't believe someone would do that to their car, and I can't believe someone even thought to make those kits. You might as well put a giant wing on your car and butcher in a weird front end. Oh wait, that is what was done....

Why is this "redundancy" only limited to the electrical system?
Its not,
Cooling
2 thermostaticslly controlled electric cooling fans which can be controlled manually, one or the other, or both, installed with seperate potentiometers to control fan speed
Biggest aluminum radiator that would fit
With adjustable shroud and a thermostaticall controlled clutch fan
Hi vol water pump
Ac water pump pulley to provide more rpm's

3 fuel pumps
1 for the Carb
1 for the nitrous plate
1 for the flamethrower nozzleS
That are Valved for any combination
Or single use
Main gas tank
2 gal fuel Cell with high octane gas that i can turn on when I race, also used a a reserve tank

Mechanical and electrical gauges for oil p, water temp, voltage mabye others

My newest, 2 alternators

Wiring
Overkill on wire gauge size
Only starter relay, no others
Fuses below the amp specs for elec items
A Complete seperate harness that well be alongside the other harness, designed that I can replace a Complete harness if necessary or just a single circuits, designer to be able to quickly make change
Spare 12 fuse panel in case of future electronics

Almost forgot, A buddy If Mine who owns a sheet metal shop is building me a custom dash out of brushed stainless that will Completely cover the entire dash assembley
From the edge of the windshield to the bottom of the front panel, designed to mimick an aircraft panel. 24 gauges, potentiometers, Led's, dials, switches, knobs,etc.

Transmission
Beefed 904
Extra 3 qt oil pan
New ac condensor,large , for trans cooler

Last edited:
Does not have to make sense.

But the things you learn along the way may be where the real magic is.

downloadfile(1).jpg

F' em, its your car...just do it! ...last pic is 16! (Under the car!)
%3A%2F%2Fwww.musclecarszone.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2016%2F12%2F6-Alternators-power-car-1-1.jpg

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi46.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Ff137%2FFrankBarlow%2F20141023_175722_zpseh3990ti.jpg

296B83C7-3998-449C-AA57-C2C3DC84C145.jpg

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fcarphotos.cardomain.com%2Fride_images%2F1%2F1988%2F1801%2F4968400003_large.jpg

Let's not kid ourselves here. When I hear the story start changing...."I'm going for an aircraft theme", "I want symmetry", and "My main priority is a spare alt", you're kidding yourself.

Is your motivation to get back in the cockpit of that Cessna? I banged a hot chick once, I'm not gluing implants and a pocket p***y on my car EVER. Do I want to go back to those days? Yes, but that ain't going to take me there.

Symmetry? You do know that the entire driveline of these cars is off-center, right? The distributor isn't centered either. Thank God you aren't driving a slant 6 car. Symmetry doesn't apply, and never will. You want symmetry? Close the hood and admire how symmetrical it is. Don't get inside the car. Ever.

The benefits of dual alts? Have you had a history of alternator failures? Are alternators somehow unreliable to you? Can you show us where the alternator touched you when mommy wasn't looking? If you think you need a spare alternator, toss one in the trunk with some wrenches and a spare 318, just in case.

But three stories smells like BS and that's what these guys are trying to tell you.

You miss your Cessna, you are searching for perfection and are setting yourself up for failure, and you have a fear of alternator failure but understand the concept of diodes and are still afraid to make a roadside alternator repair. That'll be $60 for the psychology session.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

My thinking is like a "swiss army knife" , multi-purpose ,
Who do you know that wouldnt be very happy that the item they bought didnt provide not just one purpose, but 24 purposes and would fit in their pocket.
Its obvious that you are not a creative or an out if the box thinker. You called BS on me, which is a classic case of the pot calling
the kettle black.
, BTW, Im currently building a aircraft style
Dash with 24 gauges, numerous dials switches, LED, potentiometers etc.
I think you're an idiot. You're irrational. You're as ADHD as I've ever seen......keep readin, there's a compliment comin. lol

But I also think you're probably a genius. Lots of extremely intelligent people do nothing but think outside the box and you do it all the time. You're in good company with a LOT of other very smart people who were also called all the same things I just called you. I think if you ever do finish one of your projects to completion, 100% it will likely be like nothing anyone else has ever seen or done.

I say keep pluggin at it. It's your car. If you want 20 alternators and 100 potentiometers on it, go for it. Make your car what you want it to be, everybody else be damned.

Not sure why people are doing the multiple alternators. Just to show it can be done?

Could see it if it was for an RV or a stage show setup where you are powering all the stage lights outdoors.

I get the looking symmetrical thing. But why not put 2 pro chargers under the hood and run dual alts off the drive line. I get why the diesel trucks dual alts, due to the power draw. To each their own. What happens when ya do all this extra crazy, and then the car is a pig and boring to drive….

I get the looking symmetrical thing. But why not put 2 pro chargers under the hood and run dual alts off the drive line. I get why the diesel trucks dual alts, due to the power draw. To each their own. What happens when ya do all this extra crazy, and then the car is a pig and boring to drive….
The current engine should do 500 + hp at the flywheel. Suspension ss Springs, rear stabilizer bar, fat torsion bars, gas shocks, fat front sway bar, four wheel discs, gas shocks, etc
Have a 400 block which will be a 500 stroker @ 600 hp plus a 200 shot of nitrous
Prochargers and hardware....$$$$$

Last edited:
I gotta come clean here.

I, too, have considered multiple alternators.

One day, when I was about 10 (so this was the late '80's), we were in science class and the 'speriment of the day was dropping the 9V battery in water and watching the bubbles form.
What are the bubbles? Well, hydrogen and oxygen via electrolytic breakdown of chemical bonds.

So I started formulating ideas for how to pipe those highly ignitable gasses into an air intake on my moms 'Vette.

That's, Chevette.

And I figured I'd need some alternating plates in water, and an alternator or 7 to provide the juice.

So, no, OP, I don't think you're 'tarded. I bet your car will make it in Mopar Action. I mean, that's kinda it, right? There aren't any other Mopar magazines left.

I think it seems kinda gay, but if there's no pocket p***y stuck in the tail pipe, it's not as gay as it could be.

Get on it, stick to the plan, and do the job right. No gay bullet hole stickers.

One day, when I was about 10 (so this was the late '80's), we were in science class and the 'speriment of the day was dropping the 9V battery in water and watching the bubbles form.
What are the bubbles? Well, hydrogen and oxygen via electrolytic breakdown of chemical bonds.

So I started formulating ideas for how to pipe those highly ignitable gasses into an air intake on my moms 'Vette.

That's, Chevette.

And I figured I'd need some alternating plates in water, and an alternator or 7 to provide the juice.

Not really a bad idea, it's just too bad that even thought the technology exists today with inverters and multi phase a/c generators, you'd probably have to haul more water to travel 100 miles than it could produce the energy to carry it. Now if we could get some cold fusion going and use the energy provided by the hydrogen isotopes of deuterium and tritium in sea water...

Not really a bad idea, it's just too bad that even thought the technology exists today with inverters and multi phase a/c generators, you'd probably have to haul more water to travel 100 miles than it could produce the energy to carry it. Now if we could get some cold fusion going and use the energy provided by the hydrogen isotopes of deuterium and tritium in sea water...
I read that the inventor of the hydrogen car
Was meeting with potential Belgian investors at lunch. He jumped up from the table, clutches his chest, and screamed "they have poisoned me" and dropped dead.
Funny thing, i havent heard anything about it in decades. He had numerous patents and inventions.
What happened to the carb that was supposed to double gas mileage , hmmmm

If my Dart was in a Mopar magazine, I would think I had died and gone to heaven !

My Neon was in Mopar Action a year or so ago. It's pretty fly, flexing on poors and all that.

Call Cliff Gromer at Mopar Action. He'll talk to you.

Not sure why people are doing the multiple alternators. Just to show it can be done?

Could see it if it was for an RV or a stage show setup where you are powering all the stage lights outdoors.
I’ve seen it done for massive car stereo systems.

You can also mount a couple on the rear end and run a belt off of a yoke mounted pulley. A good crank start and you won't need a battery.

img_0660.jpg

Hmmmm . . . . Electric Cars . .

Of course it's just a Gas Powered Generator with Bucket Seats.

Th trend in aviation has been away from 2nd alternators for a while. They may have been a necessary evil for those who wanted to fly a single engine aircraft in hard IMC, but now with modern avionics using so much less current and rapidly advancing battery technology, a second backup battery is typically used. Smaller, lighter, uses less power to operate and if the main alternator quits there's enough electrical endurance to operate avionics and FADEC well beyond the fuel endurance.

"Simplify and add lightness" was the design philosophy of a brilliant ex-RAF aircraft design engineer who went into the race car business after WWII. Colin Chapman was his name, and Lotus cars claimed a great many victories under him.

My main priority is a spare alt
Think redundancy
It would be great if I could also get more
Benefits from dual alts
Alternators are nearly foolproof. Generally the only thing that ever fails in a Mopar Period-correct unit, are the brushes, getting a little short. I just carry a spare set, and a screwdriver to swap them in.
==================
About every 50,000 miles I repack the small rear bearing, and at about 100,000 miles I replace them both, repacking them first with hi-temp moly-grease. These Mopar alternators are so simple.
Furthermore;
When/if the alternator actually quits, if you can shut the electrics off, except for the ignition, the battery will allow you to continue cruising for several hours; certainly further than the gas in your tank will take you. Then pull over and and plug-in or get a 30 minute boost.
For this reason my daily-driver hotrod will never have an electric fuelpump, nor a high-powered ignition. But it does have a fat Optima in the trunk.
If I had to guess, I'd say 95% of all dead alternators just need new longer brushes. Since about 1972 I have replaced exactly ONE Mopar alternator, and that was only because I was an ignorant 20 year old.
But I have rebuilt at least a dozen, lol.
In those 50 years, I have suffered;
ONE failed coil winding,
ONE failed Armature, and
a FEW failed diodes.
Your Mopar alternator will drive for years with one failed diode, maybe even with two; Allbeit with dim lights.

If you are concerned; fill your gastank, turn everything off, unplug the regulator, and drive! When she starts loosing power or missfiring, pull over and plug the regulator back in before she stalls. Then turn around, find a gas station, and go home. Post your results ............... please.

Th trend in aviation has been away from 2nd alternators for a while. They may have been a necessary evil for those who wanted to fly a single engine aircraft in hard IMC, but now with modern avionics using so much less current and rapidly advancing battery technology, a second backup battery is typically used. Smaller, lighter, uses less power to operate and if the main alternator quits there's enough electrical endurance to operate avionics and FADEC well beyond the fuel endurance.

"Simplify and add lightness" was the design philosophy of a brilliant ex-RAF aircraft design engineer who went into the race car business after WWII. Colin Chapman was his name, and Lotus cars claimed a great many victories under him.
55AFA3C4-CD39-48D4-BF04-166AF4F4A61B.jpeg
I haven’t seen any airplanes going away from two alternators. In fact I’ve installed 5 of these backup alternators in single engine airplanes that have been converted to “glass cockpits”. I’m currently installing a Plane Power generator to alternator conversion in a Beechcraft Baron. All of my customers want the latest trickiest avionics and plenty of backup power.
55AFA3C4-CD39-48D4-BF04-166AF4F4A61B.jpeg

-
Back