VIN number says 6cyl. but shows as a 318

-

R BEE

Reaction score
The vin shows as a 6 cylinder . The car has a 318 in it . it has a
Vehicle Emission control information engine -318cu. In LA family. the number on sticker is 3751321. What am I looking at?

years ago a friend of mine had a demon-- vin stated 6 cylinder-- car had a 318 in it-- this was a factory screw up-- it saved him $$ on insurance-- & we sure had some foggy nights.

What is also strange is the car has factory a/c with dash duct work.
I have a deposit on car and plan to upfit engine with upgade but sure would like to know more about transmission rearend . seller say no tag under hood.other then sticker on emmisions.I thought the tag was on battery side of inner fender am I wrong on this?

It could be a factory screw up or somebody has done a V8 swap and put a V8 emissions sticker on it.
Post a picture of the VIN tag and also the door sticker. Cover up the last 6 numbers before you take the picture. (Keeps the rif-raff away)
Also one of the emissions sticker.
Try to find the broadcast sheet. Usually under the back seat or on top of the glove box.

We'll get to the bottom of this.

Thanks I will post pictures as s oon as I pick it up. I have some 1200++ miles of
driving to do next weekend to get it.

Either the engine or dash has been swapped...

This is a good point, I would double check the rest of the numbers on the car since it may have been stolen and someone just swapped the dash to get a legitimate title for the car. You can also look under the dash to see if the vin number rivets were tampered with or look fresh, these are able to be aquired. If the car was stolen in the past, it don't matter how legal of a title you hold or how much you paid, they will take the car.

I have heard of a few local guys back in the 80's that bought cars just for the vin numbers and swapped them out on other cars that had questionable paperwork. Unless you knew what to look for, you wouldn't ever know.

how legal of a title you hold or how much you paid, they will take the car.

I have a friend that just went through this. There is a good possibility
even if it were a pieced together car, you can keep it. He was able to
keep his. They pulled the body number for the car, did a stolen records
search that came up clean. He had to wait 30 days to make sure there
were no claims against the car, and the state gave it back to him with
a different title. I am guessing a lot of state have different laws on this,
but depending on if and when the mod were done, many times records
are long gone. If you're buying it for an investment, check it out
really well. If it's a driver you plan on keeping, check it out, and then
state laws on altered VIN cars. FWIW

I never knew that

I worked out for him, not saying all cases will. It depends if there is any
history on the car and his was clean. Wisconsin has same unusual motor
vehicle laws.... Some states your hosed right away. I think Nevada is
the one that does "title cleaning" so watch out there!

The biggest killer for him was the new VIN the state puts on it. It's no
longer a Dodge Demon if you will, because the state issued a new vin tag.
Kind of screwed his resale value up, but hey at least he was able to keep
the car.

Thats kind of like the court case in Wisconsin where the state tried to
prosecute a guy for removing his dash vin tag. To make a long story
short, he won the case and the charges were dropped because it was
his car, and it was not removed for fraudulent purposes or to misrepresent
the value of the car. You can do a google search for that court case and
it will come up.

It's becoming a new world with old cars now. Check em well before you buy!

They gave him a new vin tag??? They're aloud to do that?? I thought it wad illegal

The state did, but keep in mind the vin tag shows the car as being a
2007 special something or other because thats when he did it, so
legally it's not a nice Demon any longer. It does not have much value
as far as anything numbers matching goes.

Without a fender tag, it's harder to tell. VIN should also be on engine and transmission as well as a few "hidden" places on body shell.

A slant car that grew a 318 is nothing new. Nor is a car losing some of it's A/C. Somebody actually taking the time to stick an emissions/tune-up sticker on the car after a swap is a bit more rare.

I pieced together my truck, 76 body on 79 frame. Check you local law if this comes to pass. I had the title to both the body and frame and had to have the state inspect it and they issued a new title with the 79 vin, but called the model year a 76!

I pieced together my truck, 76 body on 79 frame. Check you local law if this comes to pass. I had the title to both the body and frame and had to have the state inspect it and they issued a new title with the 79 vin, but called the model year a 76!

Thats cool!

It's not uncommon for old cars to have a different title than it did when new because a lot of old cars were pieced together, especially trucks. and as long as the car wasn't reported stolen or anything, there is no problem. A lot of trucks are pieced together with a frame from one a cab from another and so on and most trucks don't have the tag attached to anything it can't be removed from except the vin is usually stamped into the frame but with age it is usually hard to see from the rust.

The only time you will have a problem with a car that has had the title switched around is if you don't have proof where it came from or if the car was reported stolen or there was a lien on it, and in them cases they will just take it from you.

The special interest titles are how states issue a title for all the fiberglass cars and any kit car, truck, dune buggy etc that is custom built. I had a special interest title for my old dune buggy. the problem with these type of titles is most of the time it makes it where the car has to pass all emission regulations for the year it is issued for which makes it hard to get some cars to pass inspections.

Did a vin check and it checked out ok as far as totalled or stolen.
guys tell me again all the spots on the car to look for the engine
discrepancy .The tag under the hood is not there so that is ruled out.

Look on the radiator support there shold be some numbers on there.Mine are on the drivers side at the corner of the radiator. Jim

look in the inside of the trunk under the weatherstrip on the passengers side.

Hi R - fyi, if you want to know the details on registering your muscle car in your state you can go to this link

http://search.dmv.org/dmv/antique-car-registration

and put in your state and it will go to the correct page on the state's motor vehicle administration website.

By the way, it's also important to get the info from the state that you are purchasing the vehicle FROM, too.

I had problems registering my Swinger that I purchased in GA (a no title state for a classic car) in my state of Virginia. It all worked out just fine but it was definitely a little hassle that it would have been nice to avoid.

Be sure and post some photos for us of the VIN plate and sticker in the door frame, if it's still there.

Good luck!

-
Back