Vintage ( LA Intake Comparisons )

-
Replicaracer --
I also have one of these new tops and was going to run it versus the larger old style one pictured with carbs on it whats u opinion ??

View attachment 1715195045

That first top you have that looks like a blowed up balloon is the one that's all the badassary. That top is a bad ****. That's the one you want.

Run the newer top. That breadbox top is pretty much not worth using. Even if you have to run the carbs inline. The new top is much better. It will take less accelerator pump.

Da hell you say. The breadbox has way larger plenums which increases bottom end like gangbusters. So he has the best of both worlds.

Da hell you say. The breadbox has way larger plenums which increases bottom end like gangbusters. So he has the best of both worlds.

I have one sitting on the bench. If he didn't already have one I'd give him mine. That's how much I don't like them.

The weiand worked over and with a
Run the newer top. That breadbox top is pretty much not worth using. Even if you have to run the carbs inline. The new top is much better. It will take less accelerator pump.

Thanks we have to run carbs inline
Thats club rules .
I have seen several articles backing up your statement thank you for your input.

That first top you have that looks like a blowed up balloon is the one that's all the badassary. That top is a bad ****. That's the one you want.

20180623_120740.jpg

Rusty Ratrod
This info came from Edelbrock a couple of weeks ago by one of their employees named Smitty Smith he told me all about my intake .

Screenshot_2018-07-05-23-38-58.png

attach lift plate to carburetors
raise carbs with hoist
insert 671
lower carbs
problem solved
game over

interesting thread

Thank you
I want it can u pm me so we can work details out etc , I can send ya money for shipping plus a
Love Offering for ya
Since u gicing it to me Thanks Chris .
Cancel it and I'll send you the one I have.

I got Lucky Speedway Motors canceled my order so all is well .
Maybe when u pm me I can get your phone number or give you mine either way it worked out good I will give it a good home for sure !!!
Thank you Chris

20180601_210256.jpg

attach lift plate to carburetors
raise carbs with hoist
insert 671
lower carbs
problem solved
game over

interesting thread
Sounds good I wish we could run a Huffer ! But not allowed with Southeastern Gassers Association.

You wont know which is better tI'll you run them back to back! Everything else is opinions and conjecture! Remember every combo is different and so results may vary

You wont know which is better tI'll you run them back to back! Everything else is opinions and conjecture! Remember every combo is different and so results may vary
Yes sir - thank you all for the info & input !
We having some good debates anyway and heck I will give the intake top a good home .

Sweet! you actualy found a pic of an Offy intake with the 4500flange never saw one of those before except for in offys catalog!

Out of the older singlecarb intakemanifolds i would recomend the Stripdominator if you can find one,its the more modern of the ancient stuff,works quite well on a 7500rpm 340 due to having a reasonably sized plenum and not to large runners and therefor works quite well on a small cube engine. Rated for 4-8500 rpm if my memory is right,but it works quite well at lower rpm than that so dont worry about that part,ran one on the street for years.

Edelbrock tunnelram? Hell yes! I would recomend the version with the smaller dual carb top for a variety of reasons but mostly due to the fact that the smaller plenum gives better signal to the carbs,dont let anyone fool you,tunnelrams works! I cant remember what these manifolds where rated at but i believe the smaller top versions where recomended for 3-3500-7500rpms wich is pretty much right in the range for what you are doing. The taller top,was recomended for 5-8500rpm or so if my memory is correct,i bet someone out there is sitting with an old catalog and can correct me if need be.
the single carb versions are not something i would recomend to anyone, Never saw a dominator carb top for those manifolds in real life but those are way out of our league anyway,those are if you go nuts and are at a point where you try to compete with old prostock smallblocks.

Sweet! you actualy found a pic of an Offy intake with the 4500flange never saw one of those before except for in offys catalog!

Out of the older singlecarb intakemanifolds i would recomend the Stripdominator if you can find one,its the more modern of the ancient stuff,works quite well on a 7500rpm 340 due to having a reasonably sized plenum and not to large runners and therefor works quite well on a small cube engine. Rated for 4-8500 rpm if my memory is right,but it works quite well at lower rpm than that so dont worry about that part,ran one on the street for years.

Edelbrock tunnelram? Hell yes! I would recomend the version with the smaller dual carb top for a variety of reasons but mostly due to the fact that the smaller plenum gives better signal to the carbs,dont let anyone fool you,tunnelrams works! I cant remember what these manifolds where rated at but i believe the smaller top versions where recomended for 3-3500-7500rpms wich is pretty much right in the range for what you are doing. The taller top,was recomended for 5-8500rpm or so if my memory is correct,i bet someone out there is sitting with an old catalog and can correct me if need be.
the single carb versions are not something i would recomend to anyone, Never saw a dominator carb top for those manifolds in real life but those are way out of our league anyway,those are if you go nuts and are at a point where you try to compete with old prostock smallblocks.

Thanks for the info , that Offy is on Fleabay right now if anyone wants it also the seller has a ton of other alum intakes and many for the RB engine his number is on the fleabay ad he will text ya photos .

I ran a strip Dominator on a warm 340, ran well, no complaints. I replaced a single top STR-12 with it and picked up a lower idle and some bottom end, I didnt feel any top end loss. Im looking for an LA Tunnel ram base only if someone has one they would like to sell, for a TPI setup.

I ran a strip Dominator on a warm 340, ran well, no complaints. I replaced a single top STR-12 with it and picked up a lower idle and some bottom end, I didnt feel any top end loss. Im looking for an LA Tunnel ram base only if someone has one they would like to sell, for a TPI setup.
Someone may have what u need good luck .

I am pretty sure, yes. I could be wrong. I've never seen a small port, but small and large port intakes were made in just about every other intake.......
I've only seen small port (318 size) Holley street dominator for small blocks. Strip Dominator would compete with these intakes the OP has shown, perhaps that's what you meant.
Of those three I like the Offenhauser. I would throw in a fourth, the Holley Street Dominator, but it would have to be the large 340/360 port version.

-
Back