Vintage ( LA Intake Comparisons )

-
20180604_143800.jpg

I've only seen small port (318 size) Holley street dominator for small blocks. Strip Dominator would compete with these intakes the OP has shown, perhaps that's what you meant.

Yes it certainly would.........if you can find one.

I've only seen small port (318 size) Holley street dominator for small blocks. Strip Dominator would compete with these intakes the OP has shown, perhaps that's what you meant.

Really? Hell I might be lookin with the wrong eye, then.

well..... that one is for sale.. had it listed in FABO for weeks

Nice looking intake , if you can put your hand under plenium I cant run it because I will have weight added in my class so If I run single 4 it has to looking like a TM5 or something like that , if u notice my TR5 doesn't lool like more modern Weiand style mine ic closed off . Some Gent told me he would check his stash this weekend because he thought he had one possibly.

When Holley quit production of the SD, Mopar Performance filled the void with the M1.
Mopar (Shepard) peddled the M1 as a superior replacement for the Holley SD. The SD has straight runners while the M1 are tapered runners. By design, the tapered runners causes the M1 to have better flow characteristics, because the 'mouth' of the runners (under the carb) are inherently larger.
Both intakes 'stand' at nearly the same Hight, so runner length are about equal.
Plenum area is larger on the M1's, and runners tend to 'meet' the intake ports at a slightly better attitude. At least on the B/RB motors anyway.
Low speed response is probably a bit better on the SD however, due to the straight runner CSA and slightly smaller plenum area.
If you need a 'closed' bottom intake, the Edie TM5 or Weiand Port O Sonic is your best choice for drag or large oval. Otherwise, an old LD340 or early Perf RPM.
FYI:
The SD I supplied a pic for is ported, and has semi tapered runners and will fit stock 340/360 ports.

When Holley quit production of the SD, Mopar Performance filled the void with the M1.
Mopar (Shepard) peddled the M1 as a superior replacement for the Holley SD. The SD has straight runners while the M1 are tapered runners. By design, the tapered runners causes the M1 to have better flow characteristics, because the 'mouth' of the runners (under the carb) are inherently larger.
Both intakes 'stand' at nearly the same Hight, so runner length are about equal.
Plenum area is larger on the M1's, and runners tend to 'meet' the intake ports at a slightly better attitude. At least on the B/RB motors anyway.
Low speed response is probably a bit better on the SD however, due to the straight runner CSA and slightly smaller plenum area.
If you need a 'closed' bottom intake, the Edie TM5 or Weiand Port O Sonic is your best choice for drag or large oval. Otherwise, an old LD340 or early Perf RPM.
FYI:
The SD I supplied a pic for is ported, and has semi tapered runners and will fit stock 340/360 ports.

Thank you Sir - great info and history lesson I love all that stuff .
Im kinda partial to Edelbrock stuff and mainly because the make quality products I think Im going to hold off until a TM5 pops up I just wanted one now because porter could go ahead and massage it while my other stuff is @ his shop thanks again - Chris

Thank you Sir - great info and history lesson I love all that stuff .
Im kinda partial to Edelbrock stuff and mainly because the make quality products I think Im going to hold off until a TM5 pops up I just wanted one now because porter could go ahead and massage it while my other stuff is @ his shop thanks again - Chris

PM me your info and I'll send it off to ya. Don't worry about the money. Just help another FABO member when the opportunity comes your way.

PM me your info and I'll send it off to ya. Don't worry about the money. Just help another FABO member when the opportunity comes your way.

Man are u serious thats cool
I will never part with it and will try both set ups and we will gauge the performance by how far off the ground my front wheels are on launch.

Glad to help.
Sadly, Edie is the only Co. willing to produce an intake for the LA/Mag series engines anymore.. with a few, very expensive exceptions anyway.. Sad. Once upon a time, EVERYONE was making something. Edelbrock, Holley, Weiand, Offenhouser… hell, even JC Whitney, I think :)
Mopar sold us out for the G3 Hemi stuff that, until recently, was hard to come by as well.
Hope you find what you're looking for ! :)

Glad to help.
Sadly, Edie is the only Co. willing to produce an intake for the LA/Mag series engines anymore.. with a few, very expensive exceptions anyway.. Sad. Once upon a time, EVERYONE was making something. Edelbrock, Holley, Weiand, Offenhouser… hell, even JC Whitney, I think :)
Mopar sold us out for the G3 Hemi stuff that, until recently, was hard to come by as well.

Forum is awesome
These dudes forgot more than I will ever know but I try to learn something everyday glad I joined years ago my Henry J Gasser going to nice and fast with that 340 tunnel rammed engine and my fresh Jerico 4 speed.

20160518_0621221.jpg

Glad to help.

Actualy i believe Weiand is still making the Action plus, Stealth and Highram manifolds.
Offenhauser will most certainly make whatever is in their catalog that probably has not changed since 1974 or so and there is a bunch of partnumbers in that catalog;)
However i think Edelbrock is alone when it comes to still develop intakes for us.

Hum !
You're right Offy and Weiand are still knocking them out. My bad, but I wrote them off YEARS ago, cause they haven't offered anything serious for a very long time.
A quick ck at Summit shows you can still get a shinny new Port O Sonic, but will have to wait 'til Oct 15th for shipment..
I used a low deck Weiand Team G on my bracket car 20 some yrs ago.. Wasn't a bad manifold, it took a lot of grinding and epoxy to get it right. Better than the Torquer I had..

Indy makes a pretty badazz single plane for us hard core folk.
I happened across a 'new in box' small port W5 that works fine for my std port ProComps.

Manifolds are still out there, but you gotta hunt to find them.

Hum !
You're right Offy and Weiand are still knocking them out. My bad, but I wrote them off YEARS ago, cause they haven't offered anything serious for a very long time.
A quick ck at Summit shows you can still get a shinny new Port O Sonic, but will have to wait 'til Oct 15th for shipment..
I used a low deck Weiand Team G on my bracket car 20 some yrs ago.. Wasn't a bad manifold, it took a lot of grinding and epoxy to get it right. Better than the Torquer I had..

Indy makes a pretty badazz single plane for us hard core folk.
I happened across a 'new in box' small port W5 that works fine for my std port ProComps.

Manifolds are still out there, but you gotta hunt to find them.

Do you think the port o sonic or TM5 is better for high rpm that the M1??

Short answer, no. *
Though I have always heard the TM5, if you could find one, was a real contender. I never actually seen one, but the comments I've heard over the years is that it was a grown up Torquer. (larger ports)
Edelbrock also made BB versions, TM6 for low decks and TM7's for the raised blocks. It was a lot of years before there was better intakes to behold, in the BB realm. The Weiand Team G's proved themselves worthy too. I'm sure I'm leaving something out here...
The SB mopar's got a lot of attention early on, due to the popularity of NHRA Super Stock. In fact, it was such a big deal, Direct Connection stirred up a groundswell of info from local racers and factory backed guys too. You could cut out an application form in the back of your catalog to receive monthly "Bulletins" detailing modifications to anything from Thermoquads to oil pans.
Now here's the interesting thing, no mention of the TM5. Early mopar dual plane, yes. LD340, yes. Offenhouser Port O Sonic, yes. Holley Strip Dominator, YES. TR5, yup. STR-12, that too.
As a matter of fact, there's even a footnote that reads:
PERFORMANCE NOTE: In 1975-76 we recommended the Offy Port O Sonic as the best manifold. Since then the Holley has been introduced. From a performance standpoint, we feel that the two manifold are EQUAL.
* Fast forward... I was bummed when Holley discontinued the SD. But Mopar stepped in and aggressively introduced a full range of M1 intakes. The SB single plane was lauded as the long awaited replacement of the SD, with benies. So, no, I doubt the TM5, or PoS will run with the new technology. (all things being equal)
The M1 dual plane looked like a cast version of a early 318 2 Bbl manifold off of Grandma's Scamp, only with a 4 Bbl flange. (said to replace the LD340. yeah, right! )
There is a current NHRA Stock Eliminator racer, on FABO, that has more direct experience than I in the SS arena. I don't want to use his name, he knows who he is. He can give you the Locomotion, so to speak with what the SS guys liked out of those manifolds.
Today, its the Victor and Super Victor. But that's with big solid rollers.

Actualy i believe Weiand is still making the Action plus, Stealth and Highram manifolds.
Offenhauser will most certainly make whatever is in their catalog that probably has not changed since 1974 or so and there is a bunch of partnumbers in that catalog;)
However i think Edelbrock is alone when it comes to still develop intakes for us.

As far as I know, Offenhauser is pretty much gone. I don't think they've cast anything since the 1990s. I've read on this forum that someone communicated with them and they said they were still casting, but I am gonna have to see to believe.

I thought Offy was almost a "call us and well cast anything we still have in the catalog" type of company as their production was so low. Think about that, they got all the master cores and are just waiting for someone to place an order....."Uh yeah, can you guys still cast me a dual quad for a 65 273?"--" ...273? Sure!....you want the 5697 high rise or the low rise 5488?"

http://offenhauser.co/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Offenhauser-Catalog-1987.pdf

I thought Offy was almost a "call us and well cast anything we still have in the catalog" type of company as their production was so low. Think about that, they got all the master cores and are just waiting for someone to place an order....."Uh yeah, can you guys still cast me a dual quad for a 65 273?"--" ...273? Sure!....you want the 5697 high rise or the low rise 5488?"

http://offenhauser.co/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Offenhauser-Catalog-1987.pdf

I don't believe it. Much as I've talked to the Summit guys and they all have said their customers just call and cancel the Offy order and get something else.

maybe they wait for 10 orders to start the line again? I never ordered one, I always found them used.... "sure, Itll be ready Oct 12...."...Uh, forget it......

-
Back