Visiting the US from Australia - Car insurance/rego etc

-

cavanor

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Have been directed to this site by a user on an Australian mopar forum site moparmarket.com . I am told that this is a very helpful site, so hopefully you can help me with a few queries. Although the topic of this thread is not realy on Mopars, I will open saying that I am really a huge fan of the cars, and own 2 Chrysler Valiants myself :)

Anyway. I am planning a trip to the US at the start of 07. I plan on arriving in Califnornia, purchasing a cheapish car (probably from a dealer) and driving accross country. Main reasons for purchasing a car/rather than hiring are that I am 20, and to hire a car i believe i need to be 25? Also, I really want the freedom to travel where I want, and cover the amount of miles i wish without worrying about car rental restrictions etc etc. Also, the fact that cars are a lot cheaper than here in Australia makes it affordable.

I will be travelling with a friend who is 22. Now, I am wondering if anyone has known of anyone who has travelled through America under similar circumstances. The major issues I am facing is that of firstly, getting a car with registration and also purchasing an insurance policy on the car during my stay.

I have looked into travel insurance, but it does not cover a car purchased overseas for personal use. I have also contacted a few insurance companies and insurance brokers around Califnornia but have stumbled accross the problem that as I will be a tourist, I will have a static residential address.

Hopefully I can find some way around this. I am sure there is a solution. It is just really difficult to gather information over the internet! :sad1:

I would appreciate any information you guys can help me out with.

Regards,
Rick

Register and insure it in Massachusetts. You dont need to have a driver licence or be a resident. I would look for a state closer to California though. Im sure there are other states with a loop hole like that.

AdamR said:
Register and insure it in Massachusetts. You dont need to have a driver licence or be a resident. I would look for a state closer to California though. Im sure there are other states with a loop hole like that.

Gee I live in Mass and every car I have ever registered required a valid drivers license to register the car (not necessarily the person that is being listed as the holder of the registration but a licensed driver never the less). Can't comment on being a resident but I can't imagine that they would let you. Also, Mass insurance is based on driving experience and I can't see them accepting an overseas license as meeting the expereince criteria. Insurance with less than three years of experience will cost upwards of $2000.00 for just compulsory coverage.

I would look to some of the more rural states for an opportunity to register a car and get a license.

I'll have to check the news paper. There was just an article about this. Maybe it was Maine not Mass ?

Hmm..nothings easy is it.

I have had a reply from one agency, South Coast Insurance and they have told me that the main issue is not having a physical address.. but with this, I can get insurance.. pity I have no family in the US :\. Looked into rental cars, there is an added fee per day for under 21s, and even under 25s.. Also, they do not insure under 21s at all, and at rental prices up to $1000-$1500/month i doubt renting a car is cheaper than puchasing in my situation.

I have been told by other Aussies that they have just bought a car with rego, and if pulled over found that a receipt for car/title along with a Aussie drivers licence it has gotten them along way.

I guess this is an option also, but would cancel out getting car insurance all together...Not really an option I want to pursue, but it seems to be one of the only ones at this stage.

I have found AAA to be helpful. They might have a policy for this situation. I don't think it'll be cheap, though. One other thing to consider is that here you can buy a car and it is covered by your existing policy for some length of time (allows you to drive your new purchase home, etc.). Check your insurance at home and see if they have some sort of coverage for you.

I have done a fair amount of traveling with cars, buying cars and associated admistrivia in about 5 different countries all over the world. I can relate a few of the generalities that might give you some ideas, but no real specific guidance.

The main issue for you is insurance. You can't get it here, simple as that. You need to have an active policy in Australia that will cover you overseas and allow you to add a vehicle to it by telephone call after you buy it here. There are a few insurance carriers that cater to military personnel who need to do this sort of thing which I have used in the past. I'd be surprised of they didn't exist in Australia as well, but don't know. It will be expensive at your age, but that's just the way it goes.

Your driver's license will be good here, typically for up to 30 days in most states, as long as you can show an arrival date by some sort of travel document. This varies by state. The only requiremnets you would run into are regarding the resident issues, which don't apply to you, unless you overstay. Not planning an illegal immigration are we? :axe:

Registration should be fairly straightforward if you buy from a dealer. They should be able to provide 30 day temporary tags. At least they could probably get you a transit or shipping registration that would be good for anywhere from 10 to 30 days.

How long you planning on staying?

HTH

Not planning an illegal immigration are we? :axe:

That's funny ACE love it!

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice...some good tips there for me to explore.. Ace, I will be travelling over for 2-3 months and plan to sell the car at the end of the trip. I actually hadn't even considered checking out my existing insurer, but will drop them an email and see if they can help me out. I guess it would make sense that they would insure, being they would have access to my my driving history etc.

Any more suggestions, please keep em coming :). Hopefully this factor doesnt kill my travel plans.. but I am sure I will work something out..

Not planning any illegal immigration, might smuggle some mexicans accross the border for ***** and giggles though :)

You're putting too much thought into this; just do what Vicente Fox's "Dual rights/psuedo citizens," have mastered. Come to the country by whatever means, work under somebody else's ID, get a license (too bad you speak english, you won't be employing a state-paid intrepretor), sign up for benefits, and then forget about anything else. My brother-in-law was rearended by one last year, and two weeks ago my buddy's niece was mowed down by one in a crosswalk (he took off; they caught him later. She is still in a coma...he might see a year in jail). I applaud you for trying to do it legal

6t8 Dart said:
You're putting too much thought into this; just do what Vicente Fox's "Dual rights/psuedo citizens," have mastered. Come to the country by whatever means, work under somebody else's ID, get a license (too bad you speak english, you won't be employing a state-paid intrepretor), sign up for benefits, and then forget about anything else. My brother-in-law was rearended by one last year, and two weeks ago my buddy's niece was mowed down by one in a crosswalk (he took off; they caught him later. She is still in a coma...he might see a year in jail). I applaud you for trying to do it legal

Sounds about right....any (bad!!!!!) asshole that drops in seems to be able to fly planes, crash into buildings etc, however a dude trying to do the correct thing...and he's shot in the ***...Life Sucks. My self I would save my cash until 25. However..If "I" had it my way "I" would give our Kangaroo friend a brake....Then of course everyone else would *****...wouldn't they.
PS..I'm Canadian, but still a North American....Kangaroo's are cool! :headbang: Can you tell I've had a beer or two???

69signetv8 said:
Sounds about right....any (bad!!!!!) asshole that drops in seems to be able to fly planes, crash into buildings etc, however a dude trying to do the correct thing...and he's shot in the ***...Life Sucks. My self I would save my cash until 25. However..If "I" had it my way "I" would give our Kangaroo friend a brake....Then of course everyone else would *****...wouldn't they.
PS..I'm Canadian, but still a North American....Kangaroo's are cool! :headbang: Can you tell I've had a beer or two???

Haha.. sounds good.. yeah well I want to do the right thing, i know if some uninsured bastard hit me and ran i'd be pretty angry. But i see what you are saying, why get insurance when you don't need to.. sure i guess I could give someone fake insurance details and piss off in the unfortuante event of a crash, but i don't want to. I'd rather go over there and have a good holiday without worrying about my insurance.. heh.

Haha.. i won't even be 21, probably be good for me though, us Aussies really drink too much :).

I've got the savings, I just wanna do route 66, then up to New York and hopefully Canada.. is that so much to ask.. everyones nagging me saying I should go to Europe instead, but screw them, i want to see Hollywood go and have a belated trip to Disney Land, drive on a different side of the road, see the grand canyon, stay in shitty motels, eat big Texan steaks, hopefully drive some cool muscle cars (Help us out guys :headbang: ) and live the American dream for a few months haha.

Well, best of luck. Let us know when you land in Cali. Let me know when you get close to N.Y.
I see this is a tricky task at hand.
I was wondering, whats the big deal about being badgered on going to Europe?
Perhaps a globe circling trip is whats needed. Ha ha ha.

-
Back