Well it's official!

-
they have a special tool for this exact situation. Once on the machine they’ll use a different one.

I get it but come on man!

Special tool? Tell me you aren't a proctologist or a mechanic!
Noooo!!! Don't go there Les Schwab Tires
If you're gonna go to
upload_2022-9-20_23-46-1.png

Use SIRI not a Japanese secretary

upload_2022-9-20_23-52-38.png

To find a local tire store. They are much better.

Yeah. I'm drunk now and thought that was pretty funny how I combined that comment AND the thread's subject.

I got a flat slick, at an "away" race, one time. Had to go to about 6 tire places, in town, before one would break it down and patch the tube. All the other places said they only work on tires they sell.

How do they air up freshly installed tires?

I spent $500 on a used rim clamp tire changer and $450 on a low speed balancer and have saved close to $2500 on mounting and balancing my own tires in about 8-10 years.

It ads up quick at $50 per tire/wheel.

I think the OP just made the case for a 12V "cigarette lighter" compressor to be in the trunk.

Last edited:
How do they air up freshly installed tires?

I spent $500 on a used rim clamp tire changer and $450 on a low speed balancer and have saved close to $2500 on mounting and balancing my own tires in about 8-10 years.

It ads up quick at $50 per tire/wheel.

last i had them mounted separately it was 25 per wheels
and even then it adds up quickly

The world has totally gone to ****. My tire was too low for them to air up! I said you got to be kidding. They said no our new machine won't let us air up a tire when it has less than 15 lbs. of air in it.

So, this is the new face of government safety oversite. Colorado is slipping deeper and deeper into that "help" zone. Good thing the overlords are protecting us and keeping us victims.
What tire shop in their right mind would buy a compressor that does not air up tires less than 15 lbs? None. This has to be regulations.
Of course, I'm sure the compressor that they use to air up the tires when changed could not be used to air yours up. That's not the purpose of that compressor.

I don't think it's the entire world gone to **** yet. But the liberal states are definitely joining the municipal waste. And we, here in this mostly rural state of calorado are on the road to becoming californicated.

The year I bought my first changer (a vintage Atlas 10-10 knockoff) Tire Kingdom wanted $48 per wheel plus tax to dismount/mount without balance and with me taking the old tires.

That was a big "NOPE".

I lucked into that vintage changer 2 weeks later for $75.

Fortunately they were roller wheels for a project car, so I wasn't in a hurry.

That worked out so well, that I invested in the balancer so I could do the complete operation for my old cars.
...and that worked out so well I invested in the rim clamp, so I could also do my modern cars.

My tire changer has a built in air tank.
It's used to blast seat the bead, but also to air them up.
Mine is made into the vertical part that holds the "duck" arm, and has a seal leaking deep within, so not real feasible to repair.
It works great as long as the compressor is on.
That's one of the reasons it was cheap.

I do see more modern changers and balancers on CL frequently.
Usually in the $700-$1500 range each.

farm and ranch auctions are the best places to pick up a tire changing station. I've seen them sell less than 500 at least 5 times at auctions I have attended.

they have a special tool for this exact situation. Once on the machine they’ll use a different one.

it protects the guy airing up the tire also (you don’t know how long it was run low) could blow up in his face.

I get it but come on man!
Only if they're un-trained monkeys. Anybody who has any experience can tell if a tire has been run too low long enough to cause damage, & knows the warning signs, AND knows to dismount & inspect the interior of the casing. They can easily tell this to any employee they hire that understands the language used to hire them, but they don't. Incompetent help, lack of competent or any training, even just experienced oversight of a newbie, all missing a majority of the time anymore. They can train 'em how to take Your $$$, that's about it. Doing things right, training competent help, is just too much bother for everything from a corner tire shop to a Cadillac dealership. There's no money in it to help somebody, then compound that with risk. They're just not into it, buy a tire, or good luck if You don't have a functional spare.

That brings up a good point- where was the OP's spare?

I have 215/70/14 front and 255/60/15 rear, so I carry a spare that's in between heights.

I also carry a $15 circa 1990's scissors jack and a wood block.
WAY better than using a 60's/70's bumper jack.

That brings up a good point- where was the OP's spare?

I have 215/70/14 front and 255/60/15 rear, so I carry a spare that's in between heights.

I also carry a $15 circa 1990's scissors jack and a wood block.
WAY better than using a 60's/70's bumper jack.
$500 each to rechrome bumpers. The last thing I want to do is mess it up with a bumper jack.

I have a spare, jack and all that. I checked the tire when the light came on it wasn't very low. I was coming into town and Discount was the closest. Also bought the tires there. This is in my 2002 mini van. I filled it up last night and came home. Just went out and pulled the tire and it is still full. I'll drop it off this morning. Discount does not charge for flat repair even if you didn't buy the tire there and they do patch on the inside, not just cram a plug in there.
They said that not knowing if the tire has been ran flat is the reason for the 15lb limit.
It's a candyass world we live in now days.

Bumper jacks are for show. I have them for my cars but they are in my storage cause I don't have show cars. Scissor and bottle jacks are small, light and work good. Also carry a couple blocks of wood too.

I'd love to have my own changer and balancer.
I been thinking about it for a few years now, Id order tires online then pay the local garage guy to get rid of the old ones for me...I really don't have room in my shop but I can build a "tire room" addition... you can find tire equipment used enough guys are retiring/ going out of business...:)

I got a flat slick, at an "away" race, one time. Had to go to about 6 tire places, in town, before one would break it down and patch the tube. All the other places said they only work on tires they sell.

You need some of our gazillio Mex. tires shops. Seems like all our immigrants studied either tire repair or grass mowing in school.

I have a spare, jack and all that. I checked the tire when the light came on it wasn't very low. I was coming into town and Discount was the closest. Also bought the tires there. This is in my 2002 mini van. I filled it up last night and came home. Just went out and pulled the tire and it is still full. I'll drop it off this morning. Discount does not charge for flat repair even if you didn't buy the tire there and they do patch on the inside, not just cram a plug in there.
They said that not knowing if the tire has been ran flat is the reason for the 15lb limit.
It's a candyass world we live in now days.
Yeah, We adopted a patch-plug policy at the dealership, for legal, as well as sound safety reasons. Reason #1; once tires started displaying the service description, or just the speed rating, anything rated "H" or higher required a patch-plug to maintain warranties and the rating(I'm talking late '80's early '90's from memory here). So the private shop I worked in, which was a Dealer for Uniroyal & Delta tires, as such We made sure We had the Bowes patch-plugs stocked up. I know, many of Us have jammed a knarly string in a hole, even a sidewall to get by 'till it can be replaced. But professionally, today's legal climate means reason #2, liability; to sue-happy people & clueless/untrained techs that would use terrible judgement as to what repair is needed.
At the dealer, We adopted a policy of patch-plug only, and only between the last circumferential grooves at the outer row of tread blocks. However, We have added air in the service drive for customers. If it is low enough, the writers would page a tech to come out & look at it, if the customer just wanted to run & have it checked later.
It IS a Candyass world tho', ........

Never, I repeat, NEVER have a flat in Stockton, CA! You will regret it. Crackheads come out of the woodwork offering to take our tire off your car, offering to take your tire to their "friend's shop" to fix it, begging for money, sizing you up, and generally just being cracked out. I'm just glad I don't give two ***** about illegally carrying my pistol in California. Reminded me of being on the streets back in Iraq.

Had a very different experience in Sacramento on my car trailer when we were bringing my Barracuda home in 2006. Blew a tire and took the next ramp. Right off the freeway was a used tire shop that was open on a Sunday. A few dollars for a used tire and we were on our way.

I think the OP just made the case for a 12V "cigarette lighter" compressor to be in the trunk.

That's what our Hyundai came with instead of a spare and jack. Now there is a factory jack and a full size spare in the tire well...

Doesn't charge for flat repair?

WTH?

Never heard of that unless you got the warranty.
That's what our Hyundai came with instead of a spare and jack. Now there is a factory jack and a full size spare in the tire well...

Same deal with my Renegade.

$75 factory, matching wheel with free shipping and a $45 same size tire.
I even bought a flea market $10 beam torque wrench to keep with them.

-
Back