What Are You Doing To/With Your Car Today?

-
I got all my parts I painted and brought them in and put them up they turned out great I'm super excited to start putting it back together. I had to touch up a few spots but it's good enough to be underneath the car lol.

View attachment 1715237583

View attachment 1715237584

View attachment 1715237585

View attachment 1715237586

View attachment 1715237588

View attachment 1715237589

View attachment 1715237590

View attachment 1715237591

View attachment 1715237595
That's how I felt when I rebuilt my suspension. ...don't want it too pretty, I drive this car!

Jeff

Took the Duster for a burn to Cultus Lake. Down to the last 50 miles worth of gas in the tank (sender quit working - 1st winter project), insurance runs out next Friday, good weather ends Monday.

What camera are you using? ! That's smooth. ...!

Jeff

When I adjusting my valves earlier in the week I found the #8 intake rocker adjuster backed out and clattering. Today I drove it to work and the clattering was back, I pulled it down and the same adjuster was backed out and finger loose. I checked my pushrods and they weren't visibly bent but when I rolled them with a light behind them I could see they were all bent 5 to 10 thousandths. I researched the topic in the forum again and called Smith Brothers pushrods and ordered their pushrod measuring tool and a set of their locking rocker arm adjusters. Now I have to surface all my rockers for the locknuts and mock it back up to measure the length of the pushrods I really need for my 273 Lunati hydraulic cam/lifter set. When I have the correct effective length of pushrods I need, Smith Brothers will build me a set of the ones I have needed all along and my motor will take another step to being correct.
RE: the new AVS2 I recently installed I called Eddy tech line and I am ordering new metering rods and a tuning spring set. It will be interesting to see if I run out of money, become single again or die before I get this thing sorted. Winter storage is off for at least another month and that is what I did to/for my car today.

RE: the new AVS2 I recently installed I called Eddy tech line and I am ordering new metering rods and a tuning spring set. It will be interesting to see if I run out of money, become single again or die before I get this thing sorted. Winter storage is off for at least another month and that is what I did to/for my car today.
Let me guess... that AVS-II has a big "bog" off idle ...or actually any time you punch it? That's how mine is. I tried to follow their technical advice, but the color springs they supply do not match their chart. It's 100% trial & error then. Still not right.

Let me guess... that AVS-II has a big "bog" off idle ...or actually any time you punch it? That's how mine is. I tried to follow their technical advice, but the color springs they supply do not match their chart. It's 100% trial & error then. Still not right.
My chief complaint was not about any bog but the fact that my wide band showed the mixture was too rich through the range. I looked at the tuning chart that came with the book and called Edelbrock. Their tech informed me that they do not have the tuning charts for the AVS2 complete and my book chart was for the thunder series carburetors which do not apply to our new carbs. He recommended a rod change but was not advocating a spring change. When pressed he said I could try the pink spring and the entire spring kit is only about $10 so I ordered it as well. The tech said to make very small changes and to read the plugs as a more accurate way do determine rich/lean. My plugs look perfect but I know the mixture is rich through the range so I will make the rod change. They are supposed to have the tuning charts for the AVS2 complete and released soon. My bigger problem is my damn valve train geometry and getting it correct.

replaced a leaking brake line, some new lug nuts, cleaned inside & out, put the dart to bed for the winter. hope to get the duster done next saturday.

Started painting the cage.

20181021_153105_zpsbyybesbn.jpg

20181021_135709.jpg
Pulling the car apart for complete restore and rebuilding the 340.
2 year project I think. Gonna miss driving the old girl.

Speed pro pistons?
I have a set of 8 @ .060 lightly used.
Thanks I'll keep that in mind. The engine's at *30 over and less than 30,000 miles since rebuild.
I bought the car and tore the heads off and found that the deck height was off from one side to the other real bad so going to find out what is the problem and ether fix it or sell it and get a 360 stroker.

Fixed the major power steering fluid leak that developed on my last drive.
The 0-ring on the pressure line into the back of the pump had split.
$0.50 for new o ring, and 10 minutes, and its fixed.

Drove it to work yesterday, and before leaving for home I spent a few minutes doing a headlight adjustment. And I must say, I'm now Very Impressed with the headlight upgrade, and Crackedback's relay setup. I'd say the lights now are as good, or better than any of my "modern" every day cars.

Fixed the major power steering fluid leak that developed on my last drive.
The 0-ring on the pressure line into the back of the pump had split.
$0.50 for new o ring, and 10 minutes, and its fixed.

Drove it to work yesterday, and before leaving for home I spent a few minutes doing a headlight adjustment. And I must say, I'm now Very Impressed with the headlight upgrade, and Crackedback's relay setup. I'd say the lights now are as good, or better than any of my "modern" every day cars.

MASSIVE improvement on the lights....I knew you'd be happy!

Jeff

Thanks I'll keep that in mind. The engine's at *30 over and less than 30,000 miles since rebuild.
I bought the car and tore the heads off and found that the deck height was off from one side to the other real bad so going to find out what is the problem and ether fix it or sell it and get a 360 stroker.
Its not uncommon for the blocks to be three to four thousands off and end-to-end

Its not uncommon for the blocks to be three to four thousands off and end-to-end
Mine is 8 thousands over deck on one side and 4 thousands under deck on the other, about 10 psi difference in compression from one side to the other if I remember. Can't imagine the rods on one side being bent. I am not a a mechanic and am learning thanks to all you guys on this site.

-
Back