What Are You Doing To/With Your Car Today?

-
Pulled the instrument panel. Traces all checked out so my dash light issue is probably in the light switch.

Cleaned and lubed the speedometer cable while I was in there.

20220522_175226.jpg

20220522_205120.jpg

First start with Fitech dual EFI. It sounds so much cleaner than with out of tune carbs I had previously. Now only job left is to finish the wiring and mount the fuel lines properly

Got my headlight relay harness from @crackedback. Decided to mount the fuses and relays under the battery box. Also wrapped all the wires in friction tape to match my existing wiring. Also had a couple spots where the wiring was a little jumbled but straightened it out and got it cleaner routed.

Mounted the relays on the side facing the rear and mounted the fuses behind them facing the engine that way the fuses are easily accessible and somewhat hidden. Had to massage the wires a little bit to route them the way i wanted but would out pretty well. I ran the wires going to the alternator out beside the relays and up next to the starter relay to run along the factory wiring. The headlight socket and new headlight plugs are coming up between the core support and battery try.

2C452A7F-49B5-4C3B-9B89-36B40C5875E3.jpeg

49ACB9D6-D37C-4BCC-990E-F7C2C6B0D5C5.jpeg

88D52D4C-2E1B-4FAC-AA68-A7715154FEE1.jpeg

Had to trim the plastic shield that goes around the alternator terminal. I had to trim the opening wider to fit the two more wires. There was enough room on the stud for the 3 terminals

5AD9EC19-12AB-4B97-8CC3-CEC349A51982.jpeg

C53958DC-1ED0-441A-8173-098D924D0C52.jpeg

Had to re wrap part of the starter wire as the friction tape i had on there had started to unwind. Got it re wrapped and rerouted slightly.

081DDE90-F73C-4872-AFD3-80E292F4CE09.jpeg

The way i had the main ground wire before was bugging me too. I had it going down the core support along the bottom of the fender apron to the battery tray bracket and then to the head but just looked cluttered. Re routed it under the edge of the battery tray and went between the tray bracket and headlight relays where it comes out on top of the power wire, then goes to the head. I used a couple of plug wire separators to isolate the positive and negative. Had to open the holes up a little to fit around the wire but once i opened them up the clamp type wire separators worked out perfect.

84A2B45E-4D42-4A4A-97F1-BF3DC9FEB2D7.jpeg

54CE0BE3-D455-4EFF-BDDC-B1A5B8B9844F.jpeg

Chasing that weird lack of PV enrichment causing it to run lean at moderate throttle on the primaries. Today I checked all the passages on the primary side of my carb... they are open. No sign of debris anywhere. I did replace the well-used (blue) gasket to the main body, but kept the 7.5 PV which operates smoothly and has an intact diaphragm.
I also put the fuel line to the carb in a 1 gallon milk jug, turned on the pump and counted to 10. There was about 2.5" of gas in the jug. WIth the fuel line hooked back up, the primary bowl was full before I could get out of the seat and look at the sight glass.
Finally I ran a line to the cowl and duct-taped a 2-5/8" fuel pressure gauge since I had all the parts except a mounting cup... Fuel pressure is 5 psi, engine off or idling. It's been pouring rain off & on all day, so I haven't tried it on the road (2.5 miles of mud to get to the pavement anyway).
If it's not a fuel delivery problem, I'll change the PV (I have an 8.5 and a 6.5) and see if that helps. Then I have to start looking for zebras (maybe my Wagner tunable PCV valve is doing something weird).

Got my headlight relay harness from @crackedback. Decided to mount the fuses and relays under the battery box. Also wrapped all the wires in friction tape to match my existing wiring. Also had a couple spots where the wiring was a little jumbled but straightened it out and got it cleaner routed.

Mounted the relays on the side facing the rear and mounted the fuses behind them facing the engine that way the fuses are easily accessible and somewhat hidden. Had to massage the wires a little bit to route them the way i wanted but would out pretty well. I ran the wires going to the alternator out beside the relays and up next to the starter relay to run along the factory wiring. The headlight socket and new headlight plugs are coming up between the core support and battery try.

View attachment 1715933429

View attachment 1715933428

View attachment 1715933430

Had to trim the plastic shield that goes around the alternator terminal. I had to trim the opening wider to fit the two more wires. There was enough room on the stud for the 3 terminals

View attachment 1715933432

View attachment 1715933431

Had to re wrap part of the starter wire as the friction tape i had on there had started to unwind. Got it re wrapped and rerouted slightly.

View attachment 1715933433

The way i had the main ground wire before was bugging me too. I had it going down the core support along the bottom of the fender apron to the battery tray bracket and then to the head but just looked cluttered. Re routed it under the edge of the battery tray and went between the tray bracket and headlight relays where it comes out on top of the power wire, then goes to the head. I used a couple of plug wire separators to isolate the positive and negative. Had to open the holes up a little to fit around the wire but once i opened them up the clamp type wire separators worked out perfect.

View attachment 1715933434

View attachment 1715933435
I gotta get you to come help on my 71 Demon!! I just finished installing a new forward light harness and wiper harness. Next up is the main engine harness. Your pics inspire me to do it all up right!!

I learned that I have no rear turn signals or brake lights at the annual safety inspection! I've narrowed it down to a bad ground at the taillights. In the process found that my hazard flasher is dead and that weird ignition light relay has stopped workin' too. Year round humidity wreaks havoc on stuff.

Since buying my house, it's been taking all my time (the little bit I have) to organize and set the house up right....I HATE MOVING!

But, I'm finally getting back around to the 'Cuda!

Ordered my fuel pump, access door for the trunk, a roll of fuel line and brake line. So I can get my new tank installed and plum everything. .... Also ordered my new wheels and tires because when I install my AlterKtion (already have it) I'll be able to have a roller. My 15" rallies won't fit over the disk brakes. ...

Finally getting back to work on her!

Jeff

Absolutely!
I really REALLY miss driving her.....this build is gonna be my dream car!

Jeff
Good thing you just went through a lot of the car before paint, you'll almost be able to put it together in your sleep.

Good thing you just went through a lot of the car before paint, you'll almost be able to put it together in your sleep.

Yup....I know every nut and bolt on her....
But..........there are several things I'll be installing that I will have to learn....Classic Auto Air, the ProFlow fuel injection, the gear vendors overdrive. .... But I'll figure them all out....I'm sure you guys will help!

Jeff

Lol.....I agree!
It's all about time... (and money! )
I have 99.5341% of all the parts now.....!

Interesting fact, 47.8365% of statistics are actually just made up :thumbsup:

Jeff

Car projects, like all projects, are an example of the 90/90 Rule:
  • The first 90% of the project consumes 90% of the time and budget.
  • The remaining 10% of the project consumes the other 90% of the time and budget.
:lol:

You forgot that 5% of the parts will wander off on their own never to be found again while you work on the first 90%!

Changed the power valve for an 8.5", duct-taped the fuel pressure gauge to the cowl, and drove to the Steak & Shake cruise-in (with a stop to pick up a prescription). I had a hard time hearing the girl at the CVS drive-up window over the 451 and dual 3" exhaust!
The PV enrichment seems to be working now. It's still hard to keep my foot in it long enough to get a steady-state AFR reading even at 6" Hg. I wonder if I got some kind of sludge in the PVCRs which has now passed through. Going 40 miles to another car show in Salem, AR tomorrow - that'll be a good test run.
IMG_20220527_171818.jpg
IMG_20220527_172026.jpg
IMG_20220527_182238.jpg

Just got back from a 40-mile (each way) cruise down to Salem, AR for a car show. I didn't enter my 50-footer Dart though. :rolleyes:

Free pulled pork sandwiches, hot dogs and chips supplied by the car dealer that were really good. Some nice vehicles. We got out of town before the parade which would have held things up for a good long while ;) Stopped by the Amish grocery store only a couple miles out of our way and got some fresh doughnuts they make on Sat. :thumbsup:
IMG_20220528_110858.jpg
IMG_20220528_110904.jpg
IMG_20220528_111011.jpg
IMG_20220528_111017.jpg
IMG_20220528_111442.jpg
IMG_20220528_112244.jpg
IMG_20220528_112533.jpg
IMG_20220528_112618.jpg

My cell phone camera cut the nose off the only other Mopar there :realcrazy:

Rebuilding the steering coupler in preparation for the new steering box. Some jerk WELDED the pin! Thanks a lot. Things were going a little too smoothly anyway....I felt I was about due for a bump in the road. Incidentally, does anyone have any tips on separating the steering box from the coupler? It's really tight and does not want to budge.

fullsizeoutput_fc0.jpeg

A pickle fork! Why didn’t I think of that? Yes, I’ve got one. Naturally I left it at the shop 30 minutes away.

-
Back