What engine compartment color do you think?

What color?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-
yep joe is right dirt & oil will just ruin the primer and make it harder to paint it later, i love the burnt orange wanted to paint the valiant that color just to many cars that color at the shows by me lately

PLEASE don't do it black lol, thats such a chevy thing to do, i'd do it body colour for sure or leave it in primer till you're ready to paint it

yep joe is right dirt & oil will just ruin the primer and make it harder to paint it later, i love the burnt orange wanted to paint the valiant that color just to many cars that color at the shows by me lately
Found this photo online a few years ago and liked it. Here is a couple photos of the correct color for my Dart. I'm not a big fan.

64 val orange.jpg

dart,painted001.jpg

dart,painted003.jpg

toolman i got it in there did you see. body color then pick a motor color sell many of them fender covers?

P1011607.jpg

P1011611.jpg

P1011610.jpg

Looks great Al. Haven't sold a fender cover for a long time.

Please defiantly not black, i hear it looks like a chevy :thebirdm::-D:-D:-D

i painted mine black because i didn't know what color i was going to paint the car at the time. i like it now, its something different and it pisses off the mopar purists. :angry7: :angel9:

crossram.jpg

spring09002.jpg

i did redo my cuda body color
019.jpg

043.jpg

With that huge Hemi in there I didn't notice the black fenderwells. LOL

Another vote for body colour

What to do before you decide what exterior colour? My suggestion is to weld all the extra holes and hide the wiring - smooth engine bays always make the engine look great.

blue5.jpg

If you plan to drive on the street regularly and plan to paint the outside of the car a light color paint under the hood black.

You will likely get a lot of guff about it being a Chevy thing but a good idea is a good idea where it is Chevy or not. A light body color under the hood gets grimmy real fast and it pretty much impossible to keep looking good. A satin black finish will not show the grim and will look better longer.

I painted my engine compartment body color and after the first few thousand miles I have regretted not following my own advice. The next time I have an occasion to pull the engine it will be black.

Also, regarding the outside color. Don't listen to anyone and paint it the color that turns YOU on.

I say unless it's a concours restoration, paint it the color you want. Mopars are supposed to be body color under the hood. So what? Are you gonna enter it in a 100 point car show? My car was black in the engine compartment when I got it and I shuddered when I first saw it. The more I think about it, the more I think I'm gonna leave it there. If you painted the engine compartment AND the car black, would it still be a Chevy thing? I wouldn't sweat the little things.

I say paint the outside whatever you want, that's the thing.... Mopar has an awesome palette of colors to choose from that will keep it " factory looking " but still stand out in a crowd of the norm.

I personally like body color engine bays... I'm not the type to say that black is a chevy thing..... I personally think that primer and CERTAIN variations of black finish look like " that guy must have ran out of money for paint or didn't think the engine bay was worth the extra effort or whatever the case may be " however if sone right... I think a nice gloss black on a lightly colored car looks very nice!.

I agree , black will be easier to " hide grime" but for me personally..... I have enough time and effort into making my engine look good and be proud of it... That my painted engine bay gives me that much more reason to want to keep under the hood just as clean as the outside.

But to each his own.... Either way, do it how you want with the colors you want and in the end it will still be cool and get a bunch of looks because it's a mopar.

Just take everyones opinions and use them how you would like, I'm sure it will look great either way and good luck

Body color. IF you have a color in mind you might as well paint the engine bay that color and live with it for a little while until you paint the whole car that color. If you plan on painting that is. Or just the body color and remove it again when you do paint.

Paint it the original body color for now and then repaint it whatever color you end up doing the car later. I can't stand black engine bays on mopars.... it's sooooo Chevy.

Black out of a spray can is easy. Original color is a bit more involved but I am leaning towards original color. Mike

Hey GTX, that looks familiar. Doesn't it look good after that first coat of primer dries? Looks great! Mike

toolman we went with first coat dp 40 then 3day dry sand #2 coat dp40 i spayed that on 2to3 day dry time light sand. spray coat of a white sealer. very light skuff. then color 1 coat let set 2or3 hour then 2 coat of color. week of drying then 1 coat of clear. less then 200.00 in paints and a 14.00 dollar spray gun from harbor frate.

DSC04037.jpg

P1010583.jpg

20090924_106.jpg

Black out of a spray can is easy. Original color is a bit more involved but I am leaning towards original color. Mike
Hey Mike,CarQuest can mix up a couple rattle cans for your original color.Just spray on lightly let it get tacky then reapply.Good Luck.

-
Back