what front disc setup do you use?

-

quartermilepass

Reaction score
Looking to change the front brakes on my 72 duster want to convert from drum to big bolt pattern disc. Car is a racecar and want to see what the best options you guys went with, I need the whole setup if anyone has links to where they got theirs that would be great, I have a lot of options and just want opinions. car goes high 11's just using the motor as a test subject to make sure all is good for the streetcar, but car should go low 10's with the the bb

even if going with a 73 and newer setup with just changing the arm.

412646_10151622313084565_1226076622_o.jpg

Just use the a 77+ b body caliper (it's a bolt on deal). Why you ask? It has a bigger piston in than the 73 models.

How much do you want to spend.

Being a drag car, I'd worry more about weight. Wilwoods will cut ~50# out of the front brake system IIRC. No need for big brakes on this car.

I used the 73 and up spindle and wilwood discs and calibers.

Attachments

• P4140017.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 389
I just put SSBC conversion kit on mine. I don't have access to pick and pull yards without traveling hundreds of miles. The easiest thing to do was to buy a new kit. It bolted together in a day. Car is still in pieces so I can't tell you how well it works...

73+ A body and hate them. Heavy as f--k and drag because of the lousy slider caliper design. Looking to go Wilwood or Areospace when the money allows. Seen guys swap in 73+ stuff and go 2 tenths slower vs the small drums.

73+ A body and hate them. Heavy as f--k and drag because of the lousy slider caliper design. Looking to go Wilwood or Areospace when the money allows. Seen guys swap in 73+ stuff and go 2 tenths slower vs the small drums.

There is also a pin type caliper. Or you could always throw on a set of viper calipers.

I used the Wilwood conversion and it was an easy installation. Swapped in a new master and proportioning valve to round it off. I went for the vented disc even though it was a drag car. If I ever put it back on the street the brakes will still be useful. Much lighter than stock brakes and a breeze to change pads with a simple pin design.

I used the Strange Engineering light weight brakes on our 71 Dart and 71 Demon. I like the solid hat rotor... instead of the bolt and safety wire rotor that wilwood...

They also use RMS adjustable upper control arms...for the large bolt pattern brakes..

Removes alot of weight off the front end....and just add some adjustable strut rods....

70aarcuda I assume you used http://www.strangeengineering.net/
strange pro steel front kits? sorry im not familiar with their website at all if you don't mind me asking around how much did it cost. wildwood is like what around 799 or so on ebay ?

here is a link to some kits I found on summit for a 1973 Plymouth duster

http://www.summitracing.com/search/...lymouth/model/duster/year/1973/position/front

I used a set of the wildwood disc kits front and rear on my mid 10 second 65 Plymouth B-body and that car would stop very easy.if it matters the 65 was 3500 pounds with me in it. you have a very nice looking duster.:thumblef::thumblef:

wildwood heavy duty and new master cylinder. I had the rotors turned since the pics were taking because the hotrod had to sit in the carport for a year while I built the garage. hotrod is right at 3500lbs and stop just fine.

Attachments

• older Pictures 252.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 346
  • older Pictures 273.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 342
  • new Pictures 007.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 339
Looking to change the front brakes on my 72 duster want to convert from drum to big bolt pattern disc. Car is a racecar and want to see what the best options you guys went with, I need the whole setup if anyone has links to where they got theirs that would be great, I have a lot of options and just want opinions. car goes high 11's just using the motor as a test subject to make sure all is good for the streetcar, but car should go low 10's with the the bb

even if going with a 73 and newer setup with just changing the arm.

412646_10151622313084565_1226076622_o.jpg
I went with the Strange disc kit for the front. Mine is only a drag car. The kit bolts right to the stock 71 drum spindles. The price is similar to the Willwoods, but they are lighter. The complete kit for both sides weigh less than one 9"drumm assy. They are touchy though, you must make sure that the brake pedal comes all the way up and does not rest on the master cylinder or the brakes can drag. I had to put a spring on pedal arm to resolve it.

I can get Wilwood and Strange, I can have them shipped direct to you from my supplier. let me know what kit you want and I can send you a price

I have SSBC disc brakes on the front and rear. The kits were easy to install and work great...car stops on a dime. My car is a street/strip car...more strip than street now a days.

I've herd that for strip only cars the Wilwoods are better due to their light weight.

I used Aerospace brakes on my 71 Demon race car. The car weighs 3150 I used their drag setup solid rotors. The only catch is that you have to use a 9 inch spindle (you would have to check with Aerospace for sure), I cut about 50% of weight from the 73 set, and switched the master cylinder from an '85 dodge Diplomat. I have had the brakes on for 7 years. they work good.

I used the Wilwoods on my 71 dart. at first I was going to go with Aerospace, but was told that I had to fill out a spec sheet, and then they would make the brake kit based on my measurments. I wasn't scared that I would mess the measuring up. I understood it just fine. My worry was that if they screwed up on their end, and the kit didn't fit, well......you know who that would get blamed on. So, I found the Wilwoods that went with the factory 9 inch drum spindle. they fit perfect, and are very easy to install. super light, and very high quality.

-
Back