what is a running 318 worth

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
Reaction score
i have another 318 coming out of my coronet......it runs and can be tuned up to run good ....but im doing a Big block swap .....problem is that this adds to my collection of running 318 s i have a bunch of them and hate to just toss them when they do run and can be tuned to run good.

what are they worth?.....in all original form but running....most are in cars and i can start them to verify they run.

Good running 318, I would say at least a couple hundred. They aren't hugely popular so that's a problem sometimes for selling one.

The current engine in my 67 is a 70's low mileage engine I found for 200. The cam, lifters, and nylon timing drive looked brand new. I doubt the engine has 20K on it. Changed the cam, intake, and RUN it.

nothing! you better send it to postage paid right away so i can put it to use lol. seriously though it depends on if someone really needs it or not i have one that was completely gone through bored 30 over and has $2500 in parts in it that i built for someone and they screwed me on it . sold the car and told me he didnt want it and wasnt paying for the parts .
i tried selling it a few times and the 3rd attempt i had a guy come out i fired it on the stand for him he offered $300 i laughed and asked him why he even bothered to waste my time or his when he already looked through the stack of receipts .
I said the heck with it and took the ad down ill keep it for my car when i get it done .
I see them once in a while on craigslist for $200 around here and they sit there forever , but cl around here is chevy land . could build any chevy for a few hundred bucks with cl parts . very few mopars or mopar parts listed .

You might add the year to the ad, a 67-70 would have a steel crank and a little more compression. It might be more desirable.

You might add the year to the ad, a 67-70 would have a steel crank and a little more compression. It might be more desirable.

Didn't all 318 engines have a steel/forged crank?

I sold a great running 74 318 for $35 one time......

Incase you sell the engine from the coronet wagon to sell, make sure it's a 318, could be a 273, I'd pull a valve cover to see if it has adjustable rocker arms, If so, they are worth around $75 easy for stock ones.

Id take a free eighteen, do you deliver?
Seriously if you were closer it would be nice to have a spare.

ha, this reminds me of the time I went to a mopar swap meet at Englishtown NJ...problem was that it rained and everybody left. Well. I had driven all the way from south Jersey so I decided to enter the swap area...driving around in my mothers Concord....so driving around I spotted an engine just sitting there in the rain, Air cleaner to oil pan, nobody around anywhere....you guessed it, a 318, BUT, a 1968 318 (230HP I believe)....someone just left it there, wish I had a truck that day (and a hoist)..

Unless you can demonstrate it running, maybe $150. You would need to connect a tranny to be able to start it.

some are very valuable to the right person check your years a police special can be 100 h/p more to staert and wall thickness you can bore it big or a few more times
check years and codes google them and read about it and it will tell you the best year 318 motors

Where are you guys finding these motors for $200? Let alone motors at all. caigslist here lists everything starting at $2,500 and up for a GM motor. No chrysler whatsoever. I personally wouldn't mind having a 318. Unless its worse than the 225 i have now. If it was a Carb to oil pan/ fan to flywheel (or whatever you call it where it's all there and just have to put it in) I would be totally interested for the price that everyone's describing. I just dont know how much it costs to ship a motor... and need to wait for a little more money.

Selling a running 318 is all about timing. If someone needs it right then, you can get a few hundred bucks out of one. But that's someone that needs a running small block in short order- ie, "my car just broke and I need a running engine NOW and I don't care if its a 318." . Otherwise they tend to sit around and either get scrapped, given away, or sold for super cheap.

I think the steel cranks stopped in '70? I have a '71 318 that had a cast crank in it.

Oh, at Serj, depending on how far you're shipping it, a palletized engine can usually be shipped dock to dock for around 200-300 bucks. Pick up and delivery costs more, especially if residential addresses get involved. I've had an early Hemi, complete from carb to pan, shipped from the Midwest to California dock to dock for under $250. That sucker is HEAVY. But, its less about weight than it is size and how easy it is to pick up and drop off. A palletized transmission costs almost as much as a palletized engine, even though it weighs hundreds of pounds less. But it takes up the same amount of floor space, and still gets picked up with a forklift. Anyway, its not really worth it to ship a 318. They may be hard to find, but they aren't worth any more than the shipping cost.

Selling a running 318 is all about timing. If someone needs it right then, you can get a few hundred bucks out of one. But that's someone that needs a running small block in short order- ie, "my car just broke and I need a running engine NOW and I don't care if its a 318." . Otherwise they tend to sit around and either get scrapped, given away, or sold for super cheap.

I think the steel cranks stopped in '70? I have a '71 318 that had a cast crank in it.

Oh, at Serj, depending on how far you're shipping it, a palletized engine can usually be shipped dock to dock for around 200-300 bucks. Pick up and delivery costs more, especially if residential addresses get involved. I've had an early Hemi, complete from carb to pan, shipped from the Midwest to California dock to dock for under $250. That sucker is HEAVY. But, its less about weight than it is size and how easy it is to pick up and drop off. A palletized transmission costs almost as much as a palletized engine, even though it weighs hundreds of pounds less. But it takes up the same amount of floor space, and still gets picked up with a forklift. Anyway, its not really worth it to ship a 318. They may be hard to find, but they aren't worth any more than the shipping cost.
Good info. Thanks. I'll just hang aroud hoping to see some kind of mopar motor pop up on Craigslist. I saw a 318 for $200 but it was just the block, and even that looked like junk.

Shoot, i had 3 running 318's in my yard and i just sold a running 273 w/ a working 904 for a 100$...

I've been selling several of them lately for $100 complete in running condition. I've sold 5

Last edited by a moderator:
I just sold a running LA 318 in May 2023 for $300 it went to a good home sitting in a 49 Plymouth coupe...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back