What is everyone’s opinion of wide body flares?

-

He's a member here too, @yeah

img_0877-jpg.jpg

This one has a very Japanese inspired design.

The Wildest Dodge Dart You'll See Today - Speedhunters

Wow, that's a crazy build! Very well done by the looks of it. Definitely not everyone's cup of tea, but they hit all the marks for the JDM style. Also, a good example of how much work goes into making it all look right.

Screenshot 2023-11-14 at 11.05.25 AM.png

depending how its done and the final look of the car it could be cool as hell. not done right it could be a total fail.

Last edited:
One of the first threads I remember reading in-full here when I signed-up a few months back was in regards to car shows, and how people felt about them, and if they still attended. I seem to recall that one of the reasons some people here no longer go to shows was because they grew tired of people nit-picking their rides. ("That's not original." "That bolt shouldn't be anodized." "You should have done....") (You get the idea.)

And I get it. Too much of that **** and I'd probably stay way as well.

But that got me thinking (and this is my point in relating that thread to this one): Why put so much power in others people's hands? I mean, what do you care what other people think? This is your car. Do what you want with it, and the hell with what other people think. You're the only one who can "do you", and you have to make yourself happy.

Do I care for it? Not really, and I think the whole JDM-look on domestic cars is just plain silly, but again: Who cares what I think?

I stopped chasing fads, and other people's dreams & expectations years ago, and I like to think my Life has gotten better (aka: simpler) because of it.

I'm not a fan of it but you are correct... it will cost thousands of dollars to repair it the correct way? Plus it will take forever to get all of the parts as we all know they are not easy to come by. Plus once you open that can of worms what is it going to look like under that mud? You already know. So my point is, if you want it all "correct" then NO. If it's a numbers matching car then HELL NO! But no one on the forum has the right to tell you it's right or wrong. That is up to you. I'm sure it can be done and make it look good. So if that is want it takes to keep you driving that car then do it. But if YOU hate it or want to hear the BS from others then you have been warned. If the quarters are that mudded up though what's the difference? I would just hate for you to get into the point where you won't drive it. I have seen way worse at car shows. I really don't go much anymore just because of the.. that's not right, that's not correct, that's wrong... and the you're wrong they never did that. The car really doesn't look bad either way to me. Just have fun with it... life is short.

Thousands of dollars? for what quarter skins trunk extensions and possible patches in the wheelhouses? You guys arent paying people to do your body work are you...? AAARREE YOOOOUUUU? :)

Thousands of dollars? for what quarter skins trunk extensions and possible patches in the wheelhouses? You guys arent paying people to do your body work are you...? AAARREE YOOOOUUUU? :)
Price materials and labor. Yeah it WILL cost thousands unless you have a body shop.

Price materials and labor. Yeah it WILL cost thousands unless you have a body shop.

Um, have either of you priced quarters and enough paint and material to do a set of quarters recently?

A full OE style quarter is $650, for one side. AMD discontinued the skins, and a patch doesn’t cover the whole lip. If you can find a skin from Sherman or Goodmark (out of stock most places) they’re still $250 each, and of course there will be more bodywork. The outer wheelhouses are $200 each.

Even if you did all the work yourself you could be into it a grand just in body panels, and that’s doing it on that cheap. AMD quarters and outer wheelhouses and you’re into it $1800 just in metal.

And if you think you can paint both quarters with decent paint for under $1k in materials you’d be wrong.

So yeah, even doing it all yourself you could easily be into it $2-$3k depending on how much metal and what kind of paint.

LOL.......Back in '81, I had a buddy that cut the rear fenders of an AMC Gemlin and weld them onto a mint, southern states, 1966 Comet. Man we did some goofy **** back then.

EDIT: They were actually from an AMC Hornet. This thread got me thinking about the good old days :)

Last edited:
He's a member here too, @yeah

View attachment 1716166578

Wow, that's a crazy build! Very well done by the looks of it. Definitely not everyone's cup of tea, but they hit all the marks for the JDM style. Also, a good example of how much work goes into making it all look right.

View attachment 1716166577
I like flares if they are incorporated with like styling. The Petty Kit cars, Super Coupes, Aspen RT those were all sharp lookin cars. The OP's question wasn't about the "whole package". It was about flares specifically. Just stickin flares on something with no other same styling is stupid looking.

LOL.......Back in '81, I had a buddy that cut the rear fenders of an AMC Gemlin and weld them onto a mint, southern states, 1966 Comet. Man we did some goofy **** back then.
But we had fun! How were we supposed to know, at the time...

-
Back