What is with the new DC corp?

-

dartley

Reaction score
They trash talk their own herritage. If it is not a Hemi it's no good. They have folks playing at being dopes driving a beat up Duster, and drooling over a Hemi-truck. I drove one of those behemouths BTW and it's no faster than an equiv Chevy P-UP - they are both dump trucks that our A-bodies A-engine cars would blow the bloody bleeding doors off.

Ford and Chevy do no such thing with their heritage cars. So I don't know what's in their minds, but at any rate it makes me less inclined to buy a new Mopar than I otherwise would be. They shoulda realized that.

What are your feelings on that?

I think that that is total horse S***. Excuse the ****ing language but I hate it when some one else does it but for DC to do it. How wrong can you be?

I agree, I was beyond mad when I saw the commercial that they ran the Duster off the road on. They need to build off our herritage not bash it.
Last I checked chevy doesn't have an similar engine (HP to CID) I'm happy to run against and new chevy or ford with my '05. How many A-bodies (Save the big-block and Hemi cars) had the HP of a new Hemi?...none, keep in mind the differant rating systems.
A new truck vs. and old car is not even close to a fair comparison. What they should have used is an old Power Wagon with a 360. You can't compair new to old, the newer engines are smaller, lighter and stock put out more HP (it's now a norm to have a V-6 that puts out over 200HP). The biggest thing our beloved old cars have that the new ones can only dream of are CLASS and PERSONALITY. What kind of commercial do you expect from people who are represented by a guy that goes by Dr. Z. ?
Just my 2cents

I know this will not be very popular but I laughed my *** off when I saw the ads, because I wasn't always a Mopar guy. When I was a Buick Gran Sport guy we used to call Mopar guys a bunch of knuckle draggers, then I saw the new commercials it reminded me of that whole knuckle dragger thing and made me laugh. Now let's back up the clock a little to the "dukes of hazzard" days. They used to tear up more Mopars (and good ones I might add) than anybody at the time. My Mopar buddies used to drop everything they were doing and go watch the show. This is were I got my idea that Mopar guys were knuckle draggers. The show was about knuckle draggers and only knuckle draggers would like a show that tears up good cars that they were into. O.K so now I am no longer a Buick guy and own at least one Mopar from every decade starting with the 50's to the present. So I am commited to the brand, I like the older cars and Chrysler is the only company that has more than one new vehicle that is exciting to me. The kind of people that are around this brand, like the people on this site are fun and a wealth of knowledge. I look at the commercial in another light, at least Chrysler has a sense of humor. I don't care if people think of me or us as knuckle draggers or whatever. It is satire and if you can't laugh at yourself you are doomed to be miserable. Believe me owning Buick's has gotten me called lots of things also, and I could care less. Those dudes in the commercial may be goofs but they look like they would be loyal friends and would be fun. So laugh dammit it's a joke.

Chuck

Being also a long time Jeep fan I am doubly disappointed. Seems the Germans have avenged WWII by destroying the vehicle which won the war. For years Jeep had always sold vehicles based on their off road capability. In fact the first Grand Cherokee was advertized as being able to go anywhere any stock Jeep ever made could go. Such a claim was never made of the Liberty, and the current line-up would be embarrassed by an old lady in a Subaru. Heck, the new Wrangler is the size of an old Wagoneer! (I'd rather have the Waggin' ear).

I guess the new Challenger is to be a legacy car, hopefully they won't use more really stupid commercials which insult those of us who own older models. Face it, most of us can't affford to spend the bucks on an original Hemi car (next purchase I spend that much money on will either have a propeller and wings, or a front door and a fireplace). Part of what makes A-Body Mopars so fun is that you can build an effective street machine for a reasonable amount of cash. I guess that isnt what constitutes good marketing these days. But then I suppose if Chevy put a bleach-blonde crank-toothed bimbo wearing dirty spandex in a primer grey Camaro with rusty quarters dragging a muffler on the street the Hemi add would't seem so bad. Wait, yeah it would, the Chevy add would just be truth in advertizing.

[QUOTE='68-340-S]I agree, I was beyond mad when I saw the commercial that they ran the Duster off the road on. They need to build off our herritage not bash it.
Last I checked chevy doesn't have an similar engine (HP to CID) I'm happy to run against and new chevy or ford with my '05. How many A-bodies (Save the big-block and Hemi cars) had the HP of a new Hemi?...none, keep in mind the differant rating systems. [/QUOTE]

Not sure what you mean by that ... the Chevy V8 lineup is very strong indeed. I personally prefer the old Mopars to any other lineup, but the new Vette is a nice machine, and I've driven both new Chevy and Dodge Hemi P-UPs, and they are both nice trucks, but slow compared to A-body 340 cars.

A new truck vs. and old car is not even close to a fair comparison. What they should have used is an old Power Wagon with a 360. You can't compair new to old, the newer engines are smaller, lighter and stock put out more HP (it's now a norm to have a V-6 that puts out over 200HP).

So you're saying that an easily modified 300-600 HP A-engine is not competitive with an Infinity M35X? ... or what?

The biggest thing our beloved old cars have that the new ones can only dream of are CLASS and PERSONALITY. What kind of commercial do you expect from people who are represented by a guy that goes by Dr. Z. ?
Just my 2cents

Why? I don't want to see an old Power-Wagon get trashed either.

340mopar said:
I know this will not be very popular but I laughed my *** off when I saw the ads, because I wasn't always a Mopar guy. When I was a Buick Gran Sport guy we used to call Mopar guys a bunch of knuckle draggers, then I saw the new commercials it reminded me of that whole knuckle dragger thing and made me laugh. Now let's back up the clock a little to the "dukes of hazzard" days. They used to tear up more Mopars (and good ones I might add) than anybody at the time. My Mopar buddies used to drop everything they were doing and go watch the show. This is were I got my idea that Mopar guys were knuckle draggers. The show was about knuckle draggers and only knuckle draggers would like a show that tears up good cars that they were into. O.K so now I am no longer a Buick guy and own at least one Mopar from every decade starting with the 50's to the present. So I am commited to the brand, I like the older cars and Chrysler is the only company that has more than one new vehicle that is exciting to me. The kind of people that are around this brand, like the people on this site are fun and a wealth of knowledge. I look at the commercial in another light, at least Chrysler has a sense of humor. I don't care if people think of me or us as knuckle draggers or whatever. It is satire and if you can't laugh at yourself you are doomed to be miserable. Believe me owning Buick's has gotten me called lots of things also, and I could care less. Those dudes in the commercial may be goofs but they look like they would be loyal friends and would be fun. So laugh dammit it's a joke.

Chuck

Interesting - a friend of mine used to own a couple of those Buicks, even while being a Mopar guy ... there is a lot to like about them. Tell us, what made you change your preferences?

On another note - I used to occasionally watch the Dukes - and it bothered me that they were breaking cars. But I didn't think much about it until I was older and it was actually publicized how many cars they trashed. They also ruined several Challengers in V.P., and a couple nice cars in Bullet. That was the norm. They break nice new cars now, but won't hurt antiques anymore. The cars need to become rare and expensive before they gain some immunity. It's a shame, but that's the way it is.

Lastly, in response to having a sense of humor ... I see your point, but I don't agree with it, and here is why. I was in the doctor's office a couple weeks ago, and what did I pickup but a copy of a recent issue of some car mag ... don't remember which, but I think it was A***M*B**E - yeah, that rag. Well, there was an article about the author picking up a '71 or '72 Duster (unrestored and out of tune) and joining - or trying to join - some street machine event out west US. He trashed the Duster, suggesting it never had any respect, handled, braked poorly and was barely a perf car even at the time. Then he brought up that DC white Duster commercial and added some witty remark about how even DC never valued the car. So you see, one dump leads to another, and if you go around dumping on your own family, who will respect you or your family?

As far as "knuckle Dragger" ... that's an expression I've never heard before concerning any aspect of automobilia ... sounds like synonym for lazy.

C130 Chief said:
Being also a long time Jeep fan I am doubly disappointed. Seems the Germans have avenged WWII by destroying the vehicle which won the war. For years Jeep had always sold vehicles based on their off road capability. In fact the first Grand Cherokee was advertized as being able to go anywhere any stock Jeep ever made could go. Such a claim was never made of the Liberty, and the current line-up would be embarrassed by an old lady in a Subaru. Heck, the new Wrangler is the size of an old Wagoneer! (I'd rather have the Waggin' ear).

I guess the new Challenger is to be a legacy car, hopefully they won't use more really stupid commercials which insult those of us who own older models. Face it, most of us can't affford to spend the bucks on an original Hemi car (next purchase I spend that much money on will either have a propeller and wings, or a front door and a fireplace). Part of what makes A-Body Mopars so fun is that you can build an effective street machine for a reasonable amount of cash. I guess that isnt what constitutes good marketing these days. But then I suppose if Chevy put a bleach-blonde crank-toothed bimbo wearing dirty spandex in a primer grey Camaro with rusty quarters dragging a muffler on the street the Hemi add would't seem so bad. Wait, yeah it would, the Chevy add would just be truth in advertizing.

The '67 through '72 Camaros were darn nice cars!

NOW LOOK HERE
when you start making fun of my wife and camero
i might take it personsel!!!

now i have to drag my knuckles up on the
porch of my trailer, and drink a case of beer
and smoke a cig to cool my temper.

and for your information i'm thinking about sellin
the camero to get my old ladies tooths fix! :---)

Dartley, I switch because GM killed Buick's performance program because chevy whinned heavily that the GN & GNX were faster than the vette and chevy couldn't have that. I also changed because Buick GS's were getting more and more popular and I always have like to own not-to-popular cars. My first Mopar was a '69 Fury III(not to popular). I looked at all brands in 1990 and decided that the Mopar was the least popular but still easy to get parts for.

I owned a '69 Camaro with a 327 and a 4 speed and liked that car very much. I purchased it from the original owner, it was a high school buddies mom's car.

I have had bigger setbacks in life than that silly commercial to get me upset. If that commercial is upsetting to some of you I wish I had your lives because if that commercial bothers you your lives must be flawless.

It's my opinion that AMC killed the Jeep not the Germans. I have an '85 Jeep Cherokee that has that puke 2.8 chevy in it and, oh yea it puked on me Deer hunting this season so I am going to put in my 273 out of my old '69 Fury.

I not trying to change your mind, If you don't like it, I respect that, all I'm saying just don't let it get to you. I quit watching the NFL mainly because the superbowl was the last straw. I would yell and scream at the refs and realized what the hell am I doing? So I don't watch anymore and now don't miss it at all (I am sure that my wife is glad too).

Be cool,
Chuck

340mopar said:
Dartley, ...
I have had bigger setbacks in life than that silly commercial to get me upset. If that commercial is upsetting to some of you I wish I had your lives because if that commercial bothers you your lives must be flawless.

I can't speak for others, but I really did not get the idea that anyone was "upset" about this. I certainly am not.

The reason I brought it up was to get folks opinions on what I consider to be an awful add campaign. Does it make me upset that DC chooses to trash talk the Duster 340? No, not a bit. But does it make me have affection for the company, or do I feel any continuing loyalty to the brand. No again. Upset is too strong a word; it conjures up red foreheads, sleepless nights, high blood pressure, etc. Ask me if it makes me happy, and I will say no; ask me if I think it's wrong and I say yes; ask me if I get emotional about it and the answer is no.

I not trying to change your mind, If you don't like it, I respect that, all I'm saying just don't let it get to you. I quit watching the NFL mainly because the superbowl was the last straw. I would yell and scream at the refs and realized what the hell am I doing? So I don't watch anymore and now don't miss it at all (I am sure that my wife is glad too).

Be cool,
Chuck

Or chill? ... Anyway, I don't watch as much FB as I used to either, but for an entirely other reason - I can't stand how $$$ has, once again, spoiled a sport ... from advertizing to overpaid athletes. Am I upset about that. No again.
But I don't appreciate these injustices.

There are sooooooooooo many wrongs an injustices in the world today, and the overwhelming vast majority are way way more grievous than either of these two items. But this is a forum about A-body Mopars, and that commercial and the article that related to it were about A-Body Mopars.

I have been a long time fan of any mopar, be it a slant six Valiant to a Hemi Cuda. This is a commercial, not a shot at Chryslers heritage! You guys need to just chill out and have a laugh! It's funny. SWEET!

Yes it really urinated me off too. The Duster 340 DID get respect from the Phord and 'slow tie' crowd. They hated it EVERY big block was in jeopardy of being blown off when the Duster 340 hit the streets. 2800. bucks bought a hi winding 13 sec. hot rod. I can't tell you all the people who have told me over the years that a Duster 340, Dart 340 Swinger, Demon 340 gave them the hardest run they ever had. Even had a Hemi guy (69 RR), at an intersection tell me that a Dart 340 Swinger gave him the hardest win he ever had. He beat it but it was a run all the way. Best kept secret, from the magazines. It never got any ink. Only the most expensive big blocks could run with them. They didn't ignore them...they avoided them. Terry.

It is a stupid comercial. Damlier ruined the jeep line in it's quest for money (they want to sell to the yuppy soccer mom crowd, not the people who used them for what they were originaly created for) as for complaining about the Dukes of Hazard or any of the other telivision shows or movies that destroy any given line of cars, LMAO, why do you think those same said cars become "Rare and collectible"? and they make entertaing shows for the knuckle draggers of the world to sit on their couches drinking beer and watching the boob tube. meanwhile those of us with any sense are running around collecting up all the parts and cars we can so that when they are rare and collectible we can turn around and own rare and collectible cars and recoup any $ we invested, 10 fold, in said purchases of parts by selling parts to others searching for those "hard to find" parts. But I still agree it is a stupid commercial because I havn't come across any of the new trucks as being capable of out pacing my Dart.

I liked chrysler back in the day when they were making all of these hot rods, but now-a-days i dont have too much respect for them. they have become more of a monopoly in the car business, i understand they want to make money by buying other businesses and car companies and such, but i think they have taken it too far.

Its the German auto influence...seems they forgot what has kept chrysler on the map all theses years (the 318) lol...j/k...it wasnt the K car, it wasnt a mercedes, it was good ol AMERICAN muscle(A BODIES)... :headbang:

-
Back