What is worth pulling...

-

jd_physicist

Reaction score
This is not a for-sale post, so please do not ask about parts or prices. When I get to that point, I'll post in the appropriate board. In this thread I'm looking for advice...

I'm going to get rid of a wrecked '64 Barracuda that I've been hanging on to for years. It has sentimental value, but after a highway rollover wreck it was damaged beyond any repair.

I'm hauling it out to the recycler piece by piece, and I am wondering what things I should pull before sending the rest off to rest in peace. I am NOT looking to get rich, but I'd be pretty happy if I made up for any of the storage cost, and I'd like to see the parts go to people who need them.

For example, I have the doors and fenders in the back of my truck waiting to go to the recycler...is it worth my time and effort to remove the door latches, lock hardware, and window mechanism? Is there any demand for those parts, or will I end up tossing them?

What about seats? In the front, the frames and springs are fine, but the padding and covers are pretty bad. Is it worth my time to hold on to them, maybe take them to a Mopar meet and set them out?

Wiring harnesses--Toss or Sell?

Pedals?

Steel wheels?

Quarter window glass? Mechanism?

I figure I'll hold on to any trim/lights/etc. that might be of use to someone--not all of it is in fantastic shape, but for a "driver" car a lot of it could be OK. Once I have it all cataloged I can post the list up on the for sale boards here and elsewhere.

I'm going to crate up the engine and transmission for now...I still have an interest in finding an early A-body, doing a "heart transplant" with my old engine and/or transmission, and putting a piece of my high school and college car back on the road again.

Any advice is appreciated. I want to get this thing taken apart and taken to the recycler as soon as possible.

I'd post as much as you can. Everything you have could be valuable to someone, and it's such a shame to just junk it. You'll find a lot of buyers here. Not to mention that you'll barracuda will get to ive on FOREVER!

I know, I think the back of my driver's license should read "Willing to donate internal organs, skin and tissue below the neck, corneas, and a 273 2bbl V8."

Everything you mentioned is worth pulling. I'd even go one step further and cut out frame rails and anything else that is usable on the car. If its a 4-speed car, things like the floor section is definately worth pulling. If you don't feel like doing the ebay thing, your local Craigs List or this site can definately help you get rid of stuff, sometimes without even having to ship anything. Good luck to you.

Since you have keys, save all the locks and ignition switch. If chrome is in good shape the door handles and hood release are worth selling. Any good plastic pices should be saved as well as the trunk hinges.

Things like body hardware, door latches and various other bits are certainly worth pulling, especially the interior seats and such. This stuff will probably never be reproduced so it has some value (you won't get rich) V8 center links, motor mounts and gas pedals are always worth a buck or two, and you can never find one when you need one cheap (people trying to get rich). Wiring harness are worth pulling if they are not hacked. At the very least, let some local members pull whatever they need.

Most parts cars I've ever gotten rid of ultimately went to somebody who wanted something off them. The part was free so long as they took the rest of the car with it...

The unibody was damaged--I had a rollover at 70+ mph on the interstate.

Parts of the floorpan might be OK, and possibly upper quarter panels--but with the damage the rest of the car took, I wouldn't be surprised if they were tweaked as well. And it was a driver car, in a state that uses salt. I'm not going to sawzall it out in the hope that someone might want it.

To give you an idea of the damage it took, it was easier for me to cut the roof off to get access to the interior--landing on the roof twice while rolling tends to reclassify the car for "short people only". The dashboard buckled just to the right of the radio cutout.

I'm getting rid of the storage garage, so if it won't fit in a box I can't keep it around long enough to list it. I suppose I could list the remains of the chassis on here and/or Craigslist, but I will probably get more for it as salvage metal, and without questions about how a future owner uses the title and VIN.

Hey, my radiator was a little beat up from the wreck and previous dings. I was going to take it to the metal recycler too...but, do people fix dinged up radiators like they do dinged up body panels?

I don't remember whether it held pressure after the accident. I had it re-cored with a three-row core back in...oh, about 1993, maybe 1995.

I'll try to get a picture up tomorrow so people can get a better idea what its condition is like.

i would definitly buy the center link and motor mounts off ya when the time comes..so save them!

Save that radiator my man, and anything else you can from that car. I have been parting cars for a long time and I never let them leave for the final mile unless they can fit in the back of my pickup. I parted out a 66 Valiant about 4 years ago, and tomorrow I'm sending out the headlight retainer rings to a fellow FABO member!!! I am constantly tapping into my parts for anything and everything, and it's a wealth to have these old parts available when you need something like pulleys, brackets, belts and hoses, anything that you may have to buy for your next A-body. These items are cheap to buy when you need them, but I'll tell you they sure add up quick when you have to buy them, not to mention having to find them. Label everything, pack it away nicely in a box with a description of the part on the outside of the box and stash them away. I agree with the group here, FABO is a great place to get rid of items from that car. Keep everything, you'll be glad you did!!! Geof

The quarter window glass and mechanisms. Take a look at the front door glass. If the nylon parts where the glass connects to the lift mechanism are intact, grab them. (I could use them if no one else wants 'em.)

If the wheels are SBP 14x5.5, they are worthwhile. You can put some decent rubber on them.

The 273 2bbl isn't much to write home about, but the forged crank and adjustable rocker arms are.

I stripped the doors and fenders of anything useable, and took them to the recycler.

I did look at the door glass...in my shop vac, after I vacuumed it out of the door cavities. I don't think you all understand what rolling a car, on concrete, at 70+ mph will do to it. The quarter windows did survive, which is nothing short of miraculous--but they're in a stronger part of the car than the door windows were.

Disassembly continues.

-
Back