What is wrong with this pic ?

-

pauls340

Reaction score
Just got the carb restored. Runs great in the garage without aircleaner but get it out on the road with load and sever bog and even backfires shifting to 3rd. New routing of gas line, new plastic fuel filter, plugs, oilchg, antifreeze, temp sending unit and even checked for vacuum leaks with a propane torch. Any ideas? Don't think it's the fuel pump. This is Woodward Cruise week. The Holley will go back on if I can't figure this out. Thnks

Carb TQ.jpg

A common problem with thermoquads, is that the fuel bowl tend to warp over time, causing driveability issues like yours. The first thing I would do is pull the carb apart and inspect the fuel bowl for warpage by placing a straight edge across the top and bottom surfaces, side to side and front to rear in several spots and see how it looks. Sometimes if it's only slightly warped, I have been able to sand the fuel bowl flat by glueing a peice of sand paper to a flat surface. Generally though I find them warped to baddly and have to find a parts carb. For a replacement fuel bowl. This is of course assuming you did not forget to replace the two flat style orings that sit in the fuel bowl , that the top of the carb seals against. I just did this on my lil red express not long ago.

Might be an ignition problem?My Duster was doing the same until I set the timing and adjusted the reluctor /pickup coil gap on the distributor.

I not familiar with that carb but I looks like the distributor vacuum advance is connected to a manifold vacuum port not a timed port. Did you look at the timing advance while revving the engine?

Optik, I just backed off the secondary adjustment. It runs like there is a huge vac leak. The carb was checked for warpage. This is so frustrating, I never had a nickels of problems when I had one of these in 1971. I've got over $450 into this carb...$375 is starting to sound tempting !

Ran good with Holley?
What Holley?
Spread bore stock intake?
Is carb gasket correct for TQ?

I had a TQ rebuilt by Holley Custom Carb shop back in the 90s, they screwed up the float adjustment. I had to readjust carb.

Optik, I just backed off the secondary adjustment. It runs like there is a huge vac leak. The carb was checked for warpage. This is so frustrating, I never had a nickels of problems when I had one of these in 1971. I've got over $450 into this carb...$375 is starting to sound tempting !

ok so you think its running too lean under load? check fuel lines back to tank for a kink or restriction?...i had a problem with not enough gas at full throttle and it turned out the short rubber hose between the hard line and tank sender was bent in a slight S-shape causing enough restriction to starve the engine at higher rpm.

Have you checked the secondary air door adjustment? This is very critical for proper operation. I have done several of these over the years. Thats where I find most of the bog issues. Door spring to tight or to loose? Is the open measurement correct for the air door? These are great carbs, just misunderstood. I just built one for my brothers 360 pick-up, he loves it.

mine had same problem when i hooked up the vacume advance seems they bypassed it and so i blocked all of the stuff off and stoped only did it if i tryed pluging in the vac adv hose tho

Hows woodward havent been here since 70. Vacuum leak Im pretty sure carbs get blamed for more than their share of problems. A seasoned mech.(my dad) said 70% of problems come from ignition trouble. My brother ran a 62Dart with a 361 many a Friday night. We would loop between Telegraph and Woodward and catch Northline as well. "Golden Years".

This really pi$$es me off...it's Cruise Week and i'm sitting home ! Just put new gaskets under carb. I can't find any vac leak.

Just got the carb restored. Runs great in the garage without aircleaner but get it out on the road with load and sever bog and even backfires shifting to 3rd. New routing of gas line, new plastic fuel filter, plugs, oilchg, antifreeze, temp sending unit and even checked for vacuum leaks with a propane torch. Any ideas? Don't think it's the fuel pump. This is Woodward Cruise week. The Holley will go back on if I can't figure this out. Thnks

Never ever use a plastic fuel filter, over time the plastic will break down from the
heat of the motor. It will become brittle then start to leak and cause a fire.
Get your self a steel one.

Kenny

Demon408, Had a Holley 650, single feed spreadbore on stock cast iron intake. For 15 yrs I didn't use the vac advance. When I had this TQ restored I hooked it up and then tuned car...it runs great in the garage.

Demon408, Had a Holley 650, single feed spreadbore on stock cast iron intake. For 15 yrs I didn't use the vac advance. When I had this TQ restored I hooked it up and then tuned car...it runs great in the garage.

I had the same problem with mine. It is all in the tune, secondary door opening too quickly, and/or not enough pump shot. BTW get rid of the plastic filter they are an accident waiting to happen, steel all the way.

I had a 600 Edelbrock and never got it running right. Replaced it with a Holley. Replaced that with this TQ. Ran my buddies Speed Demon setup at 915 and the car took all of it.

I had a 600 Edelbrock and never got it running right. Replaced it with a Holley. Replaced that with this TQ. Ran my buddies Speed Demon setup at 915 and the car took all of it.

Was it a new edelbrock?? I've always had good service out of an edelbrock on any mild engine..

Well the carb does looks good anyways.

Unless you are going for strictly factory appearance I would ditch that sucker!

Oh and leave the vaccum advance plugged off for now. My car runs like crap with it hooked.... it is plugged off.

-
Back