whats everyone using to carry tools around.

-

skep419

No show, all go!
Reaction score
I brought my dads jeep in to work to replace the rear main seal (4.0). I wasn't sure what I was going to need so I brought a lot of tools. My neighbor gave me a bag that he got with a set of power tools. It holds a lot but at the same time it gets too heavy. I lost my go to napa 16" wide mouth hard bottom bag. Just curious what everyone uses when they need tools somewhere other than home.

I'm leaning towards something like this
https://www.walmart.com/ip/BOSTITCH-BTST516155-16-Inch-Open-Mouth-Tool-Bag/46368751

I've also got this kit
60039192.jpg

I brought my dads jeep in to work to replace the rear main seal (4.0). I wasn't sure what I was going to need so I brought a lot of tools. My neighbor gave me a bag that he got with a set of power tools. It holds a lot but at the same time it gets too heavy. I lost my go to napa 16" wide mouth hard bottom bag. Just curious what everyone uses when they need tools somewhere other than home.

I'm leaning towards something like this
https://www.walmart.com/ip/BOSTITCH-BTST516155-16-Inch-Open-Mouth-Tool-Bag/46368751

I've also got this kit
View attachment 1715480317

I've got a bag VERY similar to that bought at the thrift store. It sucks. Doesn't open wide enough, difficult to see into the bottom. If you screw up and put something "short" into one of the pockets, then dig around after it for 15 min with needle nose, you get to dump the whole thing upside down to retrieve it.

If you are talking portable, it is hard to beat one of the I think they are called "tuff" boxes which are a tough composite material. Not being metal, they are "easier" on things around them in your truck.

My road kit consist of a ratchet set like this (I think mine was Husky)...
63013_I.jpg

And in a bag (about the size of a 6 pack) like this a set of combo wrenches, couple screwdrivers, channel locks and a crescent wrench.
Spare ballast and a couple hose clamps. Hand cleaner and some rags.
61168_W3.jpg

Together take up very little space in the trunk.

If I'm heading to the wrecking yard I just take tools for what I need if it isn't part of this, otherwise i just grab these.

Alan

Three tool bags. Two are just my auto electric tool bags. Third one is whatever i load into it.
And a 5 gallon bucket.

Not the cheapest but, I’ve been embracing and slowly buying the Milwaukee pack outs. So far, they’ve been holding up to some abuse.

Not the cheapest but, I’ve been embracing and slowly buying the Milwaukee pack outs. So far, they’ve been holding up to some abuse.

They are nicer than my Ridgid supposedly. Not sure what that means but I can take a toolbag from Dollar General and make it last a long time lol....

JW

Just the basic tools, a few zip ties, and a roll of electric tape, plus a set of jumper cables, in a soft canvas bag. -- The box is attached to the floor.
Falcon - Trunk - 2.JPG

Last edited:
Buckets are nice, you can sit on them when your doing stuff. I got a small canvas bag that I carry more than 3 tools in, otherwise they are just in my cargo pockets.

This is what I keep all my most used tools in the shop in. I built it from an idea and when working on my car I keep it close and usually have most things I need at my fingertips.
IMG_0405.JPG

I like the carts with wheels, and they work great for the auto wreckers too! I just wish the wheels were a little bit bigger for ground clearance.

I always liked my dads idea. Get a kangaroo. He could carry the tools in his pouch, teach him to hand them to you when needed and he could give you a hand lifting and carrying what was needed.

I here those Binford models are quite spendy. Lol
The early brown issue was the best. The later yellow model was top heavy any would spill your tools all over, and then wander off looking for a rich guy.

These. $5.99 with a coupon at Harbor Freight. I keep one, with just enough tools to probably piss you off, in each one of my rigs.

61469_W3.jpg

Love it. My wife always tells me to take a snap-on truck with me where ever we go.

I have a soft bag like post 7 and 22 from HF in all my cars.

The daily driver has an extended tool set for junk yard duty.

They are $5 on sale.

Last edited:
-
Back