Whats my best carb with little work and good performance?

-
Are you drunk??????

Re-Read dude....

sorry I dont drink..someone said that eddy carbs will out perform a holley...I only asked where I can find in a racing series where a eddy carb is out performing a holley carb..

some people make pointless statement with no facts to back up there statement....

i said in an earlier post ...I would use a 750 vacum holley...

So Are you drunk dude?

I have a 67 notch back 360 30 over crane cam nothing wild 9.5 compression
What would be my best carb choice with little maintenance and still having good performance? Prefer in a 3 to 5 hundred dollar range.

In all fairness, I didnt see the OP mention anything about getting into a racing series or going to the track.

What I'm getting is that he is looking for a easy,low maintenance,all around carb. An Edelbrock would be an excellent carb choice for that.

Bottom line if your a Holley guy your going to say Holley, Edelbrock guy your going to say Ede. I think everybody cringes when they see this question.

Having said that...Carter has a rich racing history with Chrysler cars in the 60's
an 70's, putting down times as quick as anybody. To say Carters have no place on the track is silly.

You can get a holley to run well at more than just wide open throttle.

Does 20mpg on a 350hp 360 from a 750dp sound like a good deal? Yeah I thought so! That surely isn't chewing up the fuel.

On ede's you change out the metering rods. Holley, it's a bit more involved with air bleeds and idle feed restrictors. It can be done and not that hard once you figure it out.

I've worked on a bunch of stuff and NEVER seen a similarly sized ede outperfom a holley when properly tuned... EVER! From a HP standpoint the differences were in the 20+ level sometimes.
rIGHT NOW IM LEANING TOWARDTHE HOLLEY AVENGER 670.

No carb is bolt on ready out of the box. Anyone that has one they feel is/was more than likely isn't getting all the benefits they could be. So knowing that:
1st choice, Street Avenger 670, you will have to adjust the jetting and more than likely the secondary spring. They come with a couple spring options. There's several very good books on tuning them. The Avengers are more of a street carb vs a std 3310 or HP which are more race oriented. The 670 Avenger is the same flow as the older 3310 750s.
2nd choice, Edelbrock Thinder AVS - 650cfm. It will have better throttle response, idle claner, and get better milage than the Avenger, but as above, will need tuning/setup. Also there are books for these carbs... Well, for the Carter's they are based on anyway.

Whats my best carb with little work and good performance?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a 67 notch back 360 30 over crane cam nothing wild 9.5 compression
What would be my best carb choice with little maintenance and still having good performance? Prefer in a 3 to 5 hundred dollar range.

They are all good carbs, its the loose screw thats fiddling
with them that gets the tuning wrong.
For the street:
My 2cents, buy an Eddy or Holley 650 vaccum, call the nearest airport
and find your altitude.
Record engine vaccum at best idle.
Call Eddy or Holley tech and tell them your story they will advise you.
Make sure you have plenty of fuel and the right fuel pressure
to the carb with a decent breather and filter system.
Spend the rest of your money on ignition, and tuning that right.

Good Luck!!!

In terms of reliability... Holley will never be on top.

I have an edelbrock with 200,000+ miles on it, I have had since I was 17 or so, a quick kit here and there, and some tuning and acceleraor pump pistons, and it still works great. Holleys aren't and have never been built for reliability.

Reliability?

Quadrajet.
AVS.
AFB.
Performer.
Thermoquad.
Then holley and the likes............

Not written in stone, just the way it is, for people that want to bolt a carb on and drive it for eight years.

sorry I dont drink..someone said that eddy carbs will out perform a holley...I only asked where I can find in a racing series where a eddy carb is out performing a holley carb..

some people make pointless statement with no facts to back up there statement....

i said in an earlier post ...I would use a 750 vacum holley...

So Are you drunk dude?

Hmmm lets think about all of this....

1. "OUT PERFORM" ONLY applies to "racing" if "racing" is how you intend to use it. WHAT IF you are NOT talking about "racing"
2. IF by "PERFORMANCE" you are talking about a combination of daily reliability and street "giddy-up." WHAT IF "ALL AROUND" performance is what you are seeking?
3. "IN a racing series....." Similar question: Where can you find a "consistency" in an "all around" carb that can deliver good street performance without endless tweaking and adjusting among street clubs, classic car clubs, etc etc etc..... MOST that originally say Holley, swap them out within a year, because only a select VERY FEW are interested in "Racing" and get fed up with the continuous adjustments.
4. Some people make a "pointless" statement " " ASSUMING " that THEY fully understand HOW the card will be UTILIZED, THEY ASSUME it will be used for racing because THAT's what THEY call "performance," when they ignored the supporting evidence.... that would be the "FACTS" that back up HOW it will be used....

LET us NOT forget that none of us HAVE supporting FACTS from ANY of the carb manufacturers as to how each carb actually "performs." AT best you have only OPINIONS from different users, and possibly magazines and possibly your own experience...which says nothing..... people used to absolutely believe the world was FLAT.......

SO ladies & Gents try NOT to get your panties in a twist, because someone has a DIFFERENT OPINION than yours.....AND try to remember that YOUR OPINION can hardly be considered a FACT, when it is ONLY backed up by a magazine or a racing circuit or the opinion of another persons opinion...it is still nothing MORE than another OPINION! IF you want supporting FACTS from the different manufacturers go get them, BUT make certain that you define the configuration of your set up and more specifically HOW
you intend to USE IT. THEN you can speak with FACTS about YOUR set up and how it performs....BUT REMEMBER it applies to YOUR set up and unless someone else has the exact same set up and intends to use it the exact same way.....your facts are worthless to them! and become little more than yet another opinion.
IF all the carb manufacturers that are out there, ARE STILL OUT THERE, then it is obvious that different applications and different opinions SUPPORT the existence of MORE than ONE carb builder...Hence it is safe to conclude that there is NO ONE ULTIMATE CARB That serves every purpose!

Hmmm lets think about all of this....

1. "OUT PERFORM" ONLY applies to "racing" if "racing" is how you intend to use it. WHAT IF you are NOT talking about "racing"
2. IF by "PERFORMANCE" you are talking about a combination of daily reliability and street "giddy-up." WHAT IF "ALL AROUND" performance is what you are seeking?
3. "IN a racing series....." Similar question: Where can you find a "consistency" in an "all around" carb that can deliver good street performance without endless tweaking and adjusting among street clubs, classic car clubs, etc etc etc..... MOST that originally say Holley, swap them out within a year, because only a select VERY FEW are interested in "Racing" and get fed up with the continuous adjustments.
4. Some people make a "pointless" statement " " ASSUMING " that THEY fully understand HOW the card will be UTILIZED, THEY ASSUME it will be used for racing because THAT's what THEY call "performance," when they ignored the supporting evidence.... that would be the "FACTS" that back up HOW it will be used....

LET us NOT forget that none of us HAVE supporting FACTS from ANY of the carb manufacturers as to how each carb actually "performs." AT best you have only OPINIONS from different users, and possibly magazines and possibly your own experience...which says nothing..... people used to absolutely believe the world was FLAT.......

SO ladies & Gents try NOT to get your panties in a twist, because someone has a DIFFERENT OPINION than yours.....AND try to remember that YOUR OPINION can hardly be considered a FACT, when it is ONLY backed up by a magazine or a racing circuit or the opinion of another persons opinion...it is still nothing MORE than another OPINION! IF you want supporting FACTS from the different manufacturers go get them, BUT make certain that you define the configuration of your set up and more specifically HOW
you intend to USE IT. THEN you can speak with FACTS about YOUR set up and how it performs....BUT REMEMBER it applies to YOUR set up and unless someone else has the exact same set up and intends to use it the exact same way.....your facts are worthless to them! and become little more than yet another opinion.
IF all the carb manufacturers that are out there, ARE STILL OUT THERE, then it is obvious that different applications and different opinions SUPPORT the existence of MORE than ONE carb builder...Hence it is safe to conclude that there is NO ONE ULTIMATE CARB That serves every purpose!

not to get your panties in a wad...lol

based on my observation ...looking at all the racing series that still use carbs...nascar ..nhra and what ever....do you see any eddy carbs on any of them...????

therefore from that conclusion...that engine builders and crew chief would choose the carb with the best performance...they choose holley...

so what is the definiton of best performance...idleing in the parking lot at the car show? apparently it is for some...lol

I don't know, my 750 vacuum sec holley has been on my 340 for about 3 years and I haven't done anything to it in a long time. It doesn't require constant tweaking so maybe mine is a freak.

Ede's work really well for a performance/hp deal... IF, you have two of them on a car.

Some funny stuff in here that's for sure.

Havent touched my 750 dp since BIGGS sent it to me. Only time I will is when I go to the dyno. Holleys needs to be adjusted, but they give you more ways to get them perfect...does Eddy? Who here runs an eddy on their fast motor? Holley allows you to go faster later when the Eddy cant handle it.

Ive had good luck with both carbs, I just preffer holleys. I am still really impressed with the summit carb, even though there are a couple people that have had problems.

100cfm too big...........

Yup. The Avenger series is wet flowed, like the HP series, BG, and all custom shop carbs. Comparing apples to apples in terms of flow testing... the 770 Avenger = 875 cfm or so dry flowed. 670 Avenger = 760 cfm or so. If it was me, I'd change the order before you bolt it on, but that's me.

How does the Avenger rate in street tuneability (low end response, economy etc) for the street compared to an AVS/Thunder?

Just like the others these are my opinions based on my knowledge and experience. Your results may vary...lol.
I've always found the Edelbrocks to be easier to get tuned in, especially at and just off idle. Probably because of the boosters Carter uses vs the Holley. But, in terms of tunability, witt he carb is sized right, there should be little beyond the usual power valve, jets, secondary spring, and squirtor for Holley and metering rod/jet/ step up spring for Edelbrock. The 870 Avenger is what I use on street 408/416s and they have great response and depening on the combo have gotten as much as 17mpg with mixed driving. The Avengers have revised air bleeds more than anything else. They make them a little more responsive when they are used on an engine that has a mediocre vacuum signal. That and they come with a few secondary springs vs having to buy the assortment for one. For me, the Carter (and Rochester) designs will always be able to idle better. By design, the make better use of the available airflow at idle. Holley's were designed for racing. They were not designed to idle.
Think of them this way: Holleys were designed to race, then made streetable and branched into economy and OE applications. Carter/Rochester were designed for economy and OEM use, then made performance. When properly sized and tuned, they will all perform the same. However, at some point, all have limitations in regard to tuning. Edelbrock/Carter/Rochester hits that before Holley does.

Even the newer classic DPers have a cleaner idle curcuit.

Other then getting passed the eddy "stumble", & installing a thick gasket or spacer to prevent heat soak, the eddy "600" will work fine for a street car, I wouldn't run larger then a 650, so either the 600 AFB or the 650 AVS. thunder, Holleys will heat soak too, You didn't mention what cam/gear/stall your running, that is "very" important when choosing the "right" carb for all around perf., I wouldn't go too big, no more then 650 CFM with a squarebore, spreadbore i'd go with a 750-800. Below are the 3 carbs i would choose OOTB for street use/mileage, but you do have the option of going with a custom holley that can be used later on if needed, with screw-in bleeds.

Eddy 600 AFB
Avenger 670
Eddy 650 AVS thunder

For a bit more perf. & alittle less mileage.

650dp 4777 classic series, the 650dp is by far the most versital carb out there, they are damn near perfect right OOTB, the idle curcuits are much leaner then before, no more eye burning, & the perf. is great, i would at least have a 3.55 gear & 26-2800 stall at minimum with this carb. If your running a mild converter & higher gears, go with one of the other 3.

can someone tell me what racing circuit or series uses edelbrock carbs?

every race i have gone too I have seen holley carbs...and since they are racing ..you would think they would have the best performing carbs...

i seen carter avs and thermoquads only cause the car is required to use the OEM carb....

I agree 100%.... As for me, I use a Holley carbs because they make the most horsepower....and I drive my car on the street all the time too. It has GREAT throttle response and has never given me any real trouble.

I know a guy that uses a thermoquad on his Demon, but only because his race class says he has to use it.

Just my opinion, I would go Holley.

-
Back