What's With This 360 ????

-

The Cuda

Reaction score
360 sat for a long time. Engine is stock.We hot tanked it. Cleaned it out again, all good. Honed. New rings,rod bearings,mains, cam bearings and lined up correctly. All clearances .002 with plastic gauges. All plugs accounted for. 2 New hv oil pumps. 2 new oil filters. Primed with drill, 60 lb. Both banks oiling. Started engine, 60 pounds cold, 20/50 Rev tech oil. Once engine warms up oil pressure steadily drops while holding it at 2000 rpm. Less then 10 at idle. Won't get over 25 when we rev it up. Number 7 lifters, intake/exhaust always clicking. All other lifters good. installed new comp hyd. lifters, still number 7 is clicking. Cam, is not wore off. Soaked lifters in oil and pumped them before installing. Rocker shafts are installed correctly. Bottom end of engine solid. We are thinking there may be an internal crack in this block. We've done Many,many Mopar Engines over the last 40 years and haven't seen this before. Give us your thoughts.

You say the galley plug is in the back of 1 through 7 lifter bank?
Did you mag the valley of this block?

I ran into this exact problem and the geniuses here pointed me to a missing plug on the drivers side behind the distributor at the end of the galley. Have a look see.

Jake

I ran into this exact problem and the geniuses here pointed me to a missing plug on the drivers side behind the distributor at the end of the galley. Have a look see.

Jake
Thanks Jake, We disassembled the whole engine looking for those exact things and ALL the plugs are there. This is a strange one,, at least to us. Thanks.

Thanks Jake, We disassembled the whole engine looking for those exact things and ALL the plugs are there. This is a strange one,, at least to us. Thanks.

Hmmmmm, hope you get it figured out.

Jake

You say the galley plug is in the back of 1 through 7 lifter bank?
Did you mag the valley of this block?
MoparOfficial Thanks. Yes the plug/plugs are all there. As far as the mag goes,,, No that wasn't done by us or the owner of this pile.

MoparOfficial Thanks. Yes the plug/plugs are all there. As far as the mag goes,,, No that wasn't done by us or the owner of this pile.
Well I think you're onto something considering a crack, heat opens it up and starts pissing away pressure.

Or the pressure relief valve is sticking on the pump.

What pan are you using and how far from the floor of the pan is the pick up?

Or the pressure relief valve is sticking on the pump.

What pan are you using and how far from the floor of the pan is the pick up?
We used a telescopic/snap gauge to check the lifter bores. All with in spec. The pan is a stock pan the pick up is stock with the recessed screen aprox. 1/4" the pick up is aprox. 1/4-3/8 " off the bottom of the pan. We ran it,, then. let it sit for aprox. 5 min. thinking the pan may be getting sucked dry. Then upon restart it would only make 25/30 lb. @ 2000 rpm with No. 7 lifters still clicking away. This is the 2nd. new hv oil pump we've tried. Two bad ones ?? possible. Even if the plug behind 1-7 was missing/leaking would it be able to make 60 lb. at cold start up ?

at this point, I'm with YellowRose on the relief valve.....

at this point, I'm with YellowRose on the relief valve.....
The first oil pump we used was a new Chrysler the 2nd is a New Melling , both Hv pumps. We have Not checked the relief valve to be sure it was free in either one but,,, we will now. We did have the Chrysler pump pressure spring out and then reinstalled it and bumped that plug in a little farther to increase the oil pressure slightly.

The first oil pump we used was a new Chrysler the 2nd is a New Melling , both Hv pumps. We have Not checked the relief valve to be sure it was free in either one but,,, we will now. We did have the Chrysler pump pressure spring out and then reinstalled it and bumped that plug in a little farther to increase the oil pressure slightly.
If you used two different oil pumps with the same results, I doubt it's a pump.

If you used two different oil pumps with the same results, I doubt it's a pump.
Thanks 318. Wish this was a 318 there Bullet proof !! Thanks,, Were about ready to give up on this one. Never had to do that before. Just gotta be a crack inside. Aggravating as all hell because we want to see it run . It goes in a little Red Express pick up all restored,, real nice. Damm !!!!

Now I know you said all the galley plugs are there, even the one under the oil pressure sending unit. The one that diverts oil out to the filter?

We used a telescopic/snap gauge to check the lifter bores. All with in spec. The pan is a stock pan the pick up is stock with the recessed screen aprox. 1/4" the pick up is aprox. 1/4-3/8 " off the bottom of the pan. We ran it,, then. let it sit for aprox. 5 min. thinking the pan may be getting sucked dry. Then upon restart it would only make 25/30 lb. @ 2000 rpm with No. 7 lifters still clicking away. This is the 2nd. new hv oil pump we've tried. Two bad ones ?? possible. Even if the plug behind 1-7 was missing/leaking would it be able to make 60 lb. at cold start up ?

If it's a stock pan and pickup the pickup needs to touch the bottom of the pan. You can't have that much clearance between the pan and pickup.

I've seen so much destruction from this its usually the first thing to pop in my head after gallery plugs left out.

Even if the issue is something else, you need to correct the pan to pick up clearance.

So when people asked about the plugs, you took the motor back out, pulled all the crap, and looked yourself, then had someone else look?

Or is this on an engine stand?
You checked all the rod side play and all that junk?

So when people asked about the plugs, you took the motor back out, pulled all the crap, and looked yourself, then had someone else look?

Or is this on an engine stand?
You checked all the rod side play and all that junk?
Thanks Jos---- The owner put the engine in his truck and when it was started this problem was noticed. He took the engine out. We checked everything. The engine is now back in the truck as we thought it was a set of bad lifters and or the oil pump. The plug below the oil sending unit outlet is there, I believe 7 plus inches down. I'll have to check what it was exactly as we wrote that on our spec. sheet. But we're sure it's good as we discussed it. Rod side clearance is with in specs. We'll re check the pick up to bottom of oil pan dimension and correct as necessary. Thanks everyone.

Check the plugs in the ends of the rocker shafts to make sure they are in there?

I think there is also a plug behind the oil filter plate. That would be an easy one to check.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="The Cuda, post: 1971840214, . It goes in a little Red Express pick up all restored,, real nice. Damm !!!![/QUOTE]

Had this happen two times. The only thing I changed on the motors was the oil pump and pan. I flushed out the cooling system and put new freeze plugs in it. Both of them and replaced the oil pump put it back together put it down in a little red express and at idle cold had 40 to 50 lb pressure but as soon as it warmed up the lifters would all collapse. Thinking it was the engine we pulled it out when the first one did this and took a second engine that we knew had been okay out of a car change the oil pump, flushed out the cooling system put new freeze plugs in it, stuck it down in the little red express again exact same thing happened it would have 40 45 lb cold warms up all the lifters collapse the oil pressure drops to zero. Only thing we can figure is the oil pumps are bad never got either motor to carry oil pressure. P0'ed so bad the truck has been sitting in the barn for 18 years now. Both motors only change was the oil pump and pan. Someday I'll replace the motor agin.

[QUOTE="The Cuda, post: 1971840214, . It goes in a little Red Express pick up all restored,, real nice. Damm !!!!

Had this happen two times. The only thing I changed on the motors was the oil pump and pan. I flushed out the cooling system and put new freeze plugs in it. Both of them and replaced the oil pump put it back together put it down in a little red express and at idle cold had 40 to 50 lb pressure but as soon as it warmed up the lifters would all collapse. Thinking it was the engine we pulled it out when the first one did this and took a second engine that we knew had been okay out of a car change the oil pump, flushed out the cooling system put new freeze plugs in it, stuck it down in the little red express again exact same thing happened it would have 40 45 lb cold warms up all the lifters collapse the oil pressure drops to zero. Only thing we can figure is the oil pumps are bad never got either motor to carry oil pressure. P0'ed so bad the truck has been sitting in the barn for 18 years now. Both motors only change was the oil pump and pan. Someday I'll replace the motor agin.[/QUOTE]

First of all why would collapsing lifters cause a massive pressure loss?

The OP has 1 of 2 problems--It has wiped out main bearings or excessive lifter bore clearance, because of the clicking on #7 tells me you have nice and sloppy oval lifter bores which means the rest of them are likely worn out too. This is your pressure loss when warm. A normal healthy SBM will have 60-70+ psi cold idle not 40-45 psi. My Cheepy Three-Sixty build engine has 65 psi cold idle and 25-30 psi hot idle and it doesn't have the best lifter bores. J.Rob

.[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

In my case.
It was not that the lifters were causing a massive pressure lost. It's that the pressure loss was causing the lifters to collapse.

[/QUOTE]

In my case.
It was not that the lifters were causing a massive pressure lost. It's that the pressure loss was causing the lifters to collapse.[/QUOTE]

That makes sense and not how I read your post at all--sorry. J.Rob

Thanks 318. Wish this was a 318 there Bullet proof !! Thanks,, Were about ready to give up on this one. Never had to do that before. Just gotta be a crack inside. Aggravating as all hell because we want to see it run . It goes in a little Red Express pick up all restored,, real nice. Damm !!!!
360's are bullet proof also. It's real hard when you are handed down a "hand-me-down". there is an answer, but you may not find it here because it is so hard over the computer. Good luck with your search, and if you find it, please post.

-
Back