whats your favorite holiday sweet treat ?

-

RPM

Superior Member
Reaction score
Just curious.... With Christmas upon us... seems like homemade sweet treats are a-plenty. I am cuirous... whats your favorite homemade sweet treat that either mom or grandma made ? I myself cant stay away from holiday fudge !!!! no nuts, nothing but fudge.....

-RPM

Lemon pie RPM =P~ and I was the reason it got made most the time:happy10:
Mom, Grandma and ain't because they new I would be there :happy10:
now my wife makes it for me
As I reminisce I can see 4 of each pie made and could see my Lemon M pie the one sitting buy it's self

Got a little chocked up thinking about it, I sure miss them.
Yep!! LEMON PIEfor me

My fave I make each Chritmas is a super easy old standby:
Preheat oven to 400.
Line cookie sheet with foil, spray with cooking spray, lay regular saltine crackers down in a single layer. Melt 2 sticks butter with 1 cup brown sugar, boil 3 min stirring constantly or it might scorch then pour evenly over crackers. Bake 4 minutes, remove from oven and sprinkle with chocolate chips, spread them around as they melt. Chill in freezer, then break up and discard foil. Keep in fridge. Taste like heath bars. TRY not to eat too much.

My fave I make each Chritmas is a super easy old standby:
Preheat oven to 400.
Line cookie sheet with foil, spray with cooking spray, lay regular saltine crackers down in a single layer. Melt 2 sticks butter with 1 cup brown sugar, boil 3 min stirring constantly or it might scorch then pour evenly over crackers. Bake 4 minutes, remove from oven and sprinkle with chocolate chips, spread them around as they melt. Chill in freezer, then break up and discard foil. Keep in fridge. Taste like heath bars. TRY not to eat too much.

Sounds good !

-RPM

My wife has a tradition of making Angel Pie for the holidays of Thanksgiving and Christmas. Got the entire family hooked.

We always host a party Christmas eve for about 25 poeple or so. My wife has made four kinds of cookies and three kinds of fudge and cheesecake. I have not decieded on a favorite yet. Still sampling lol

memike try this lemon pie. while the orange date bread is baking.

Ye Olde Two Crust Lemon Pie
( from a memory proven to be faulty )

Da Stuff What's In It:

Pastry for large or deep dish pie
1 stick butter (softened)
1 2/3 C sugar
3 Tbls flour
4 large eggs ( reserve 1 Tbls white )
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 C + 2 Tbls water
2+ tsp grated lemon rind
juice and just the meat of 2 to 2 1/2 large lemons ( peel lemons removing all white skin then pry out meat from ribs and chop fine then squeeze the hell outa the ribcage to get all the juice )

Cream butter and sugar, add flour and salt, add eggs ( one at a time or throw em all in at once, pie tastes the same, beat eggs beforehand if they have been naughty ), add water, toss in lemon juice with meat + grated rind. Taste to see if you think it needs just a little more lemon juice or sugar.

Pour in bottom crust ( works better if bottom crust is in pie pan when this takes place ), mixture will be VERY thin, that's OK, trust me. Gently place & trim top crust and do magic finger twirling around edges. Brush top with reserved egg white and sprinkle with just the barest hint of nutmeg then sprinkle with a bunch of cin/sugar. Cut vents.

Bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes. Pie looks better if a sheet of foil is placed 2" above top crust for first 15-20 minutes then removed.

Remove from oven before attempting to eat.

Orange Date Cake Recipe: Printer Friendly version from Just Fruit Recipes
Orange Date Cake
3/4 c Butter
1 c Sugar
3 Eggs
1 c Buttermilk
2 c Flour
1 Grated orange rind
1 c Cut-up dates
1 c Ground nuts
1 ts (heaping) soda
3/4 c Sugar
1 1/2 c Orange juice

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Drop in whole eggs and beat well. Stir soda into buttermilk and add to mixture; gradually add flour, beating well; add orange rind. Fold in nuts and dates. Bake in greased bundt pan at 350 for 1 hour.

Have ready 3/4 cup sugar and orange juice. Remove cake from pan, stir juice and sugar and spoon over cake.

To the above I add 1C chopped fresh cranberries,1 tsp cin',eh...a little nutmeg, 1-2 Tbls molassas,raisins if so desired, and in batter use 1/2 dark brown sugar.

I use all dark brown sugar in the orange juice and gently boil while cake is baking so it thickens.

We always host a party Christmas eve for about 25 poeple or so. My wife has made four kinds of cookies and three kinds of fudge and cheesecake. I have not decieded on a favorite yet. Still sampling lol

Party for you, too, huh? Everyone's gone nutty baking this past week.

My Dad(baker)makes a very good Christmas pudding(similar to fruitcake)and we add some custard or rumsauce.Mmmmm yummie!:toothy10:

My mother-in-law always makes a poppy seed cake for every family each year. While the cake is just pretty good, the icing that she makes really puts it over the top. She calls it Saunders icing, and IMO the cake is just a convienient resting place to put the icing until I get to it!!! Thanks Mary, Geof

My wife and I bake cookies and breads to give to the neighbors and the people on my bowling team each year. This year we made banana bread and orange-cranberry bread, molasses cookies, toffee crunch cookies, oat & yogurt chocolate chip cookies (new this year and really good), and (my favorite) iced carrot cake cookies.
Let me know if anybody wants the recipes and I'll post them.
One of our neighbors makes the very best home made salsa and chips, another brought over some great tamales. Gotta love the diversity of Christmas in SoCal.

My wife bakes Hungarian nut roll from a recipe her grandmother brought from Hungary. Its a couple hundred year old recipe that we know.

-
Back