Where are the a bodies going

-
Its funny you say, beause Id like another one, I keep sayin to the wife "Id like to get a duster and throw an engine together an d drag race it. Although I have been running my Fox body at the track. I also wouldnt mind an early A, Dart or barracuda. But I think the time has -passed for that, they are getting expensive and I wont do another basket case I looked at a Duster summer of 2019, the kid wanted 5 grand, I offered him 3800 he didn't bite...

Cars being parted out, TV shows pushing classic cars as "cool", cars being sold and shipped overseas to rich dudes from other countries. yes American cars, and heavy metal music are still popular in in some parts of the whirl, its like its the 80s all over again...LOL! Does anyone else remember when Mopars werent cool? whern noone wanted them and if you drove nre you were "a glutton for wrenching punishment"? I remember in High school people drove chevies there were a few mustangs and 289/302 falcons, but Moapr? not many if there was one it was a cool 10 year old 75 or 6 Duster still in decent shape. A guy in school had a 71 Charger super bee, but it was beat in primer with a 400 in it. No girl wanted to ride in it because it was ratty LOL! back in the mid eighties you could score a Mopar for 100 or 200 bucks, sometimes running also....
In HS I drove a Tor Red 1970 340 4 Speed Duster Hedman headers and a 4.30 SG. with JC Penny J60-14 Scat tracs on widened 14x9 Rallies. and nobody gave me any ****. That was 1971-73.

In HS I drove a Tor Red 1970 340 4 Speed Duster Hedman headers and a 4.30 SG. with JC Penny J60-14 Scat tracs on widened 14x9 Rallies. and nobody gave me any ****. That was 1971-73.
A 2 or 3 year old muscle car ? you must have been one of those rich kids. lol
in 1977 - 80 the newest car at our school was a 1970 W30 442, the fastest was a 427 powered 67 Nova.

Yeah I am talking mid 80s that was my time we drove cars from the year we were born... late 60s LOL because we could buy em cheap. Things were diffierent then... there was a kid in school his dad built him a 66 Chevelle. Done up nice with ladder bars etc what parents do that these days LOL!

A 2 or 3 year old muscle car ? you must have been one of those rich kids. lol
in 1977 - 80 the newest car at our school was a 1970 W30 442, the fastest was a 427 powered 67 Nova.
My dad helped me with the insurance and gas sometimes. But I work two jobs to make the payments. My payment was 112.00 month. I worked as a bagboy at B&B groceries and at a local speed shop.

My dad helped me with the insurance and gas sometimes. But I work two jobs to make the payments. My payment was 112.00 month. I worked as a bagboy at B&B groceries and at a local speed shop.
I figured as much, my dad bought a brand new 57 Chevy when he was 17. Same story his payment was $ 77.00.
Those were the good old day's for sure.

I figured as much, my dad bought a brand new 57 Chevy when he was 17. Same story his payment was $ 77.00.
Those were the good old day's for sure.
That was a lot of money back then. I bought a used 69 RoadRunner back in 72 for $1200. That's what used ones sold for back then.

How many here have numerous cars? I have 2. Someday (may be soon) I will sell the 2 and look for a early B body just for fun and do to the fact I have never owned one. A wanted ad here might be your best bet like @str12-340 mentioned.
I have 2 as well, and I'm brand new to this. I'd have 6 or 7 if I bought every good deal I ran across just this year.

@Dan the man, like others have said, they are out there. Perhaps you're using the wrong search terms or just aren't consistent enough. I sometimes use a Craigslist app I downloaded that alerts me of new postings according to my settings, but the apps aren't fail safe, and sometimes you need to just employ little search tricks you pick up along the way. @DentalDart found a bunch right away.

I'm in the KC area, and I see them on CL. Not sure what OP is missing.

It ain't like the old days, and never will be, but they're there. Lotsa hipster trash buying them up right now.
I went on CL website for Kansas city Missouri and not 1 A body mopar for sale, none in Lawrence Kansas either. I can't believe that it's this difficult to find a A body. The car that I'm looking for needs to be a V/8, p/s, a/c. Not looking for a 340 car or a concours restored number matching car. But I do want it to be rust free and have a good paint job ( not a 20 footer ). A car that doesn't have a/c wouldn't keep me from being interested in it as long as it has p/s and at least manual disc brakes. Main reason why I don't want a project car is strictly because of funds. Unfortunately mopars are the most expensive car to repair and modify, but they are what I grew up with. Hopefully I can get something to tinker with during the winter and then enjoy it come summer time.

It
There is one right around the corner from where you live..... It's there somewhere. Network, network, network. Dragstrips are still watering holes for those who have a thirst for cars. Car guys know where cars are at. But time is never kind to anyone so as the years pass there will be less.....

Timing, position, and patience. Discipline yourself to find a car and there will be one for you. Always has been and always will be.....

JW
It's not looking good as far as finding a car goes. I'm thinking that if I don't get one before the holidays that it's pretty much not going to happen.

It
It's not looking good as far as finding a car goes. I'm thinking that if I don't get one before the holidays that it's pretty much not going to happen.

1972 Plymouth Duster - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle automotive...

After reading your reply I jumped on Searchtempest and this came up. Now let's assume it really is a nice car and just needs a motor like the Ad states. Easiest part of the project. But it's 16K. Keep in mind that almost any "not a 20 footer" won't be cheap anymore. There has been a market correction for Paint and body in the last 10 years and I am glad for it. Hardest part of a restoration....

It's very hard to find a Diamond hidden these days. Once again Timing, patience, and position. Past that old cars are no longer for a person with limited funds. That's just how it is. But to say nothing is out there is not entirely correct. You just have to want it a little more and work for it a little harder. Winter is coming and what a great time to look for the next project. Chin up, keep researching...

JW

Yes sir if your in your 60's or better, we lived in some good cars times!

I'm in my early 50's and caught the tail end of it. It was a great time.
This was $2500.00 in 1986. An example of an extremely clean and well kept 72 H code car. In today's world that price is about $6500.00. But I am guessing low to mid 20's real world. No question, the hobby is much different today. Those of us who lived it got lucky...

JW

duster with trophys.jpg

Too many people see the asking prices and not what they sold for price. Hard to get real info as to what the real market is.
I look at cars for sale at FABO and FBBO and look to see when one shows up at as sold. But that does not tell what it brought.
If cars are advertised and not selling, either they are overpriced or people just are just not buying.
To many variables in for sale cars. You know little till you see the car.

Just wait a little longer, include the search word "estate", they'll be all over the place.

I went on CL website for Kansas city Missouri and not 1 A body mopar for sale, none in Lawrence Kansas either. I can't believe that it's this difficult to find a A body. The car that I'm looking for needs to be a V/8, p/s, a/c. Not looking for a 340 car or a concours restored number matching car. But I do want it to be rust free and have a good paint job ( not a 20 footer ). A car that doesn't have a/c wouldn't keep me from being interested in it as long as it has p/s and at least manual disc brakes. Main reason why I don't want a project car is strictly because of funds. Unfortunately mopars are the most expensive car to repair and modify, but they are what I grew up with. Hopefully I can get something to tinker with during the winter and then enjoy it come summer time.
Your descriptions of the car that you want are confusing the heck out of me.. you don't want a project but you want something to tinker on? You need power steering but you're not willing to change the steering box and the steering column AKA tinkering...
You claim your budget won't hold up to a lot of repairs yet you must have a budget that includes enough for a painted car with all the accessories you're looking for?..
My biggest question is what is your budget? What do you think you're going to get this completely painted power steering V8 car for that just needs a little tinkering or maybe it doesn't need tinkering because it's not in the budget?..
People's minds stay in 1980 when they were 4 or $500 all day long...

I've been looking for a nice clean duster, dart, scamp for a while now. There hasn't been a mopar on craigslist in Missouri for a long time now. I don't have the resources and time to travel to check out cars that's why I've been looking in the area where I live. There's not much of anything out there, is the classic car market drying up?
Look to pay $12,000- 15,000 for a nice driver. You can tinker all you want with it after that.

First try. The red one has been there for weeks....

1972 Plymouth Duster- cool Mopar project car, needs restoration -...

1970 Plymouth Duster 416 Stroker V8 / Edelbrock Aluminum Heads...
(to be fair, the black one has Sherman Texas as location).

If you want a looker that's cheap ("I don't want a project car is strictly because of funds"), I'm hate to break it you but you're looking for a Unicorn without getting off your *** and everybody on CL is looking for the same thing.

These two cars are opposite ends of the spectrum, but unless you're on the spectrum, accept that this is what's likely to be out there, and these prices are typical.

Your best bet? Place a wanted ad.

Last edited:
Flat curious to see what the budget here is for a painted (non-20 footer) V8 power steering a body..??..

try searching on search tempest. it is all of craigslist ads but not part of craigslist. type in miles you want to search from your zip and see what pops up.

try searching on search tempest. it is all of craigslist ads but not part of craigslist. type in miles you want to search from your zip and see what pops up.

Easiest way to do it. And if something is out of your comfort zone distance wise think again..... The right roadtrip can be so worth it for the right deal....

Something else that I know has been done is go to local yardsales. It gives you a chance to poke around and see if something is sitting waiting to be grabbed. I will see if I can get a few pictures of what my Aunt's now deceased husband did last year and though what he ran up on is rare it does happen.....

JW

Your descriptions of the car that you want are confusing the heck out of me.. you don't want a project but you want something to tinker on? You need power steering but you're not willing to change the steering box and the steering column AKA tinkering...
You claim your budget won't hold up to a lot of repairs yet you must have a budget that includes enough for a painted car with all the accessories you're looking for?..
My biggest question is what is your budget? What do you think you're going to get this completely painted power steering V8 car for that just needs a little tinkering or maybe it doesn't need tinkering because it's not in the budget?..
People's minds stay in 1980 when they were 4 or $500 all day long...
I figured that I could find something nice for around 20-25k. Tinker with, I mean like make the under hood area nice, fine tune the ignition/carburetor. With arthritis in my lower back and left hip I can't climb all over cars like I once could, age is catching up with me, I'm 62.

-
Back