Which anti-pump up hydraulic lifters for mild camshaft?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
All companies brag about how their lifters are the best. I was considering Isky lifters, now looking at Lunati lifters. What should I purchase? Thank you.

Not a fan of Lunati lifters I LOVE their cams have used 3 different ones but had a few of the lifters fail on me(just a heads up)...

I was considering Rhoads until I read they reduce low end duration and my cam profile is almost exactly the same as the 1968 factory 340 cam, so I don't think the Rhoads would be any advantage with my mild camshaft profile.

From what I've read about people measuring aftermarket lifters for production tolerances Crower is one if the best by a long shot; I'm pretty sure there are only a handful of manufacturers out there who make flat tappets anyway most of the common brands come from the same place. Those tolerances are important because it helps prevent lifters being too loose (oil leakage) or worse, too tight making them unable to spin in the bores.

I was considering Rhoads until I read they reduce low end duration and my cam profile is almost exactly the same as the 1968 factory 340 cam, so I don't think the Rhoads would be any advantage with my mild camshaft profile.

Rhoades will be an improvement. They bleed down at idle and take out about 15° duration and .025" lift to tame out the cam at the low end. Then by 3500 RPM they are "fully pumped up" to give full lift and duration of the cam. It's like having an adjustable cam - you get stronger low-end and mid-range without sacrificing top end. They will give better idle vacuum, smoother idle, and stronger off the line than regular lifters... You just have to get used to the "tick"....

I've been using them for years and they make the car more streetable...

Read the second article here for a better explaination on how they work...

Articles

Everything I've heard about Rhoads is good except for the fact (???) that they never can quite reach full lift/duration due to the bleed-off effect... going with a properly-spec'd cam and "conventional" hyd lifters for your application will give better overall performance than a too-big cam with Rhoads. Haven't used them myself though I can't say from experience...

You asked about anti pump up lifters. Rhoads are not that type lifter. They are a fast bleed lifter. That's the other end of the spectrum from anti pump up.

With Rhoads lifters, you run preload just like a normal lifter.

With an anti pump up style lifter, you run very little preload or even a small amount of lash, like .002".

The two type lifters are NOT the same and IMO you need neither type for a mild cam.

You asked about anti pump up lifters. Rhoads are not that type lifter. They are a fast bleed lifter. That's the other end of the spectrum from anti pump up.

With Rhoads lifters, you run preload just like a normal lifter.

With an anti pump up style lifter, you run very little preload or even a small amount of lash, like .002".

The two type lifters are NOT the same and IMO you need neither type for a mild cam.

Exactly. All you need is a set of good, quality lifters and be done with it. Don't trick screw yourself on a simple deal.

Thank you all, I am now convinced to go with straight hydraulic lifters. The reason I was considering Lunati is because they use a real strong looking snap ring clip in place of those flimsy thin steel wire types.

lunati lifter.jpg

Hey, 70aarcuda, that Sealed Power listing has a weird note toward the bottom of the page:
NOTE: Must be used with adjustable valve train.

Also, the picture of the above lifter with snap ring looks identical to the picture of the Lunati lifter I found and posted earlier. I wonder if they are really different or the same? No way to know for sure from here.

Hey, 70aarcuda, that Sealed Power listing has a weird note toward the bottom of the page:
NOTE: Must be used with adjustable valve train.

All anti-pump up lifters require adjustable rockers. They are designed for high rpm use and use zero preload or even a slight amount of lash. This type of lifter normally uses snap rings due to it's design and intended use.

You are probably looking for a standard lifter that has a snap ring.

Buy the lifters from the company that made your cam. Any standard lifter will work fine with proper preload and the cam size you mention.

The custom grind company doesn't manufacture their own lifters.

For the record, I don't think any cam grinders make their own lifters. They buy them all from the same sources, of which I think there is 3 maybe 4 lifter manufacturers in the country. I don't know how many in Asia but it's not that many.

The custom grind company doesn't manufacture their own lifters.

Sorry but I find it hard to believe they don't recommend a part number. Like YR says there aren't many manufacturers but there are a few different designs. Whomever ground it has to have a source they refer to. I'd run anything but Edelbrock's. Theirs used a flat stamped retainer on the lifter plunger. I routinely found them laying on top of the lifter around the pushrod. I have not ever had a wire or lock-ring type fail that way.

-
Back