which headers are best?

-

dans4door1970

Reaction score
Putting in a 408 with Edlebrock RPM heads in my 70 Dart. 4 speed tranny, Mini-starter, non-power steering, no air, Don't want to spend $800 on headers if I don't need to?? I just want them to fit and be able to change plugs and the oil filter. Any suggestions would help. TTI seems to be the local favorite but pricey!!:glasses7:

Your two off shelf choices are Doug's headers and TTi. You can get a custom set made or go for a set of stainless steel header ($$$). If your motor makes 550 or less Doug's be fine, 550 or more get the TTi.

No one wants to spend 800 bucks for headers....Dougs are a little less expensive.....

I got a set of tti on my 73 duster for 10 yrs now...no leaks...still look good...no road rash from scrapping the road..

I used to run Hooker super comps, but they hang too far below the k-frame and eventually got crushed too badly.

Watch ground clearance especially if it goes below the K-frame.

Dougs D453 are less money and you can get them for under $500 with a 20% off code from autozone. The codes pop up just about every month.

Still going right now code is carlove

How about the Hedman tight tubes? sounds like a lot less clearance troubles!!

you asked which headers are the best.....the answer is TTi and Dougs...they fit and will not have ground clearance problems like the rest of them....

I ran Hooker Comps and they hit every dime on the road. full of road rash and dents. I spent the dough on TTi's and I have 5 3/4" clearance and they never hit. I run a 408, Eddy RPM heads, mini starter, 200R4 automatic, full 3" exhaust and have power steering. With the Hookers I could not get at the back two plugs. With the TTi I can get at every plug. The oil filter is not a lot of fun, but it comes off.

4 speed tranny, Mini-starter, non-power steering, no air:

I have the same setup and have Dougs, other than the need to modify the Z-bar they fit great. I have a cast Iron bell housing and there are two "nubs" on both sides that hit the headers. They fit but contact the headers, so they need trimmed off. If you motor is not in yet I suggest installing it all on the k-frame and bringing up from the bottom. You'll need the 90deg oil filter adapter and/or a short filter too.

Don't need a 90* filter adapter with Dougs or tti on 67-76 A's.

Run the normal filter plate and shorter filter. Easy and avoids those old 90* leakers.

Assuming you want coated headers...

Hooker Competition Darkside Ceramic Coated Headers 5901-3HKR = 504$$
Hooker Competition Titanium Ceramic Coated Headers 5901-4HKR = 515$$
Hooker Competition Silver Ceramic Coated Headers 429$$
Dougs 626$$
Flowtech 299$$
Summit 342$$
Hedman 440$$
Patriot 360$$
Hooker Super Comps 721/782$$
TTI's 762/793$$
Stahl (only 1 tube goes through fw) 1315/1415$$

There are some options with pricing.

TTI or Dougs. Dougs will save you a little $. I bought a set of the Dougs coated at Auto Zone last Mo. w/ the 20 % off for $450 May not be step up headers but are very nice and for $350 less, Im in...

Hooker Competition Darkside Ceramic Coated Headers 5901-3HKR = 504$$
Hooker Competition Titanium Ceramic Coated Headers 5901-4HKR = 515$$
Hooker Competition Silver Ceramic Coated Headers 429$$
Dougs 626$$
Flowtech 299$$
Summit 342$$
Hedman 440$$
Patriot 360$$
Hooker Super Comps 721/782$$
TTI's 762/793$$
Stahl (only 1 tube goes through fw) 1315/1415$$

TTI or Dougs. Dougs will save you a little $. I bought a set of the Dougs coated at Auto Zone last Mo. w/ the 20 % off for $450 May not be step up headers but are very nice and for $350 less, Im in...

Everyone, every thread. Not saying Dougs or TTI are not the best but with as many options as there are
I would like some more definitive proof.

Everyone, every thread. Not saying Dougs or TTI are not the best but with as many options as there are
I would like some more definitive proof.

WTF kinda proof you WANT??????????????????????????????

Ok I had a set of HEDMANS and was going to take them OFF and put MANIFOLDS on the car, until the Doug's sale popped up so now, when the car get's re-put back 'gether DOUG'S are going on the car.

Tel ya. People on here like Crackedback know WTF they are talking about. You would be wise to listen.

Only proof I'll give you is they (tti/dougs) perform better than the 1 5/8 hooker and all the comparable copies in every test situation I've done. They also perform on par with the 5204 Super comp headers. tti's tend to be slightly better because of the steps, but, the price difference to dougs is almost the cost of a decent nitrous unit or a really good converter upgrade. Guys buy tti, I'll spank them with dougs and a better converter or n2o for roughly the same money.

More important... Dougs and tti FIT better than any other full length header. PERIOD END OF STORY!!! No low hanging, under the centerlink tubes. I've crushed my fair share of hooker/copy junk, both comp and super comps. Whether it was dips in the rode or coming down from wheels up launches. Not gonna happen any more.

Hooker Competition Darkside Ceramic Coated Headers 5901-3HKR = 504$$ low hanging junk
Hooker Competition Titanium Ceramic Coated Headers 5901-4HKR = 515$$ low hanging junk
Hooker Competition Silver Ceramic Coated Headers 429$$ low hanging junk
Dougs 626$$ under $500 delivered through autozone
Flowtech 299$$ low hanging junk
Summit 342$$ low hanging junk
Hedman 440$$ low hanging junk
Patriot 360$$ low hanging junk
Hooker Super Comps 721/782$$ low hanging
TTI's 762/793$$
Stahl (only 1 tube goes through fw) 1315/1415$$ chop up the car, good headers

500 for a pair of coated 5901 hookers that have been the same garbage design for over 40 years is a joke when you can buy dougs delivered to your door for less. Just pointing that out.

I use the stahls on my olds big block dart and those headers were the ONLY set to not only post similar numbers to a set of full length dragster headers but actually produce better tourque and horse power cross the whole spectrum

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

Ok I had a set of HEDMANS and was going to take them OFF and put MANIFOLDS on the car, until the Doug's sale popped up so now, when the car get's re-put back 'gether DOUG'S are going on the car.

Tel ya. People on here like Crackedback know WTF they are talking about. You would be wise to listen.

i'd be wise to listen. I have a big block car there Mr. Miserable.. so i'm here in this thread for entertainment only. And what would I like, hmmm, maybe a dyno comparasin or a strip comparasin.

Only proof I'll give you is they (tti/dougs) perform better than the 1 5/8 hooker and all the comparable copies in every test situation I've done. They also perform on par with the 5204 Super comp headers. tti's tend to be slightly better because of the steps, but, the price difference to dougs is almost the cost of a decent nitrous unit or a really good converter upgrade. Guys buy tti, I'll spank them with dougs and a better converter or n2o for roughly the same money.

More important... Dougs and tti FIT better than any other full length header. PERIOD END OF STORY!!! No low hanging, under the centerlink tubes. I've crushed my fair share of hooker/copy junk, both comp and super comps. Whether it was dips in the rode or coming down from wheels up launches. Not gonna happen any more.

500 for a pair of coated 5901 hookers that have been the same garbage design for over 40 years is a joke when you can buy dougs delivered to your door for less. Just pointing that out.

Good info, makes sense.

I use the stahls on my olds big block dart and those headers were the ONLY set to not only post similar numbers to a set of full length dragster headers but actually produce better tourque and horse power cross the whole spectrum

I've always wanted to run a set of these but hate to chop the car up to run them.

i'd be wise to listen. I have a big block car there Mr. Miserable.. so i'm here in this thread for entertainment only. And what would I like, hmmm, maybe a dyno comparasin or a strip comparasin.

Good info, makes sense.

I've always wanted to run a set of these but hate to chop the car up to run them.

As far as chopping the car out it isn't to bad just take the time and a a lot of time to fit them in

As far as chopping the car out it isn't to bad just take the time and a a lot of time to fit them in

with the SB Stahl's only 1 tube on each side go through, which is not too big a deal.

how do the BB headers you have work?

If money is no object wouldn't a custom set of fabricated headers be best? Or does best mean, "I want to spend too much but justify it somehow." That would be TTI. Otherwise if you are worried about pretty coating and the ability to jump you car now and then Doug's would be good. If you just want good performance for a fair price the Summit or Jegs house brand is great.

Putting in a 408 with Edlebrock RPM heads in my 70 Dart. 4 speed tranny, Mini-starter, non-power steering, no air, Don't want to spend $800 on headers if I don't need to?? I just want them to fit and be able to change plugs and the oil filter. Any suggestions would help. TTI seems to be the local favorite but

I love all the back biting that goes om. I took off Hookers because I couldn't access the back two spark plugs without removing the headers, which necessitated pulling the motor. With my TTi's I have complete, perfect access. They fit pretty well, sound nice, and I am going into my third season and have never changed the gaskets. I am happy. I went with the step headers instead of the 1 7/8's based on TTi recommendations with my horsepower.

-
Back